Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you deal with this summer heat when driving your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I will add that having insulation made a huge difference for slow traffic heat.

Didn’t realize how big of difference it made until I drove home in 28 deg temps and it was so cold in the car with out all the heat coming threw the firewall lol

2. I grew up with a wood stove and no such thing as air conditioning unless the windows and doors were open is all the air we got, like most of you guys I don't tolerate the heat like I use too, I had a heat stroke and passed out about 5 years ago and I think that made it worse. HRP

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

here are a couple of hi-tech options 20190814_102604.jpg 20190814_102631.jpg

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Yes, a bout of heat exhaustion or heat stroke can cause long term problems as far as tolerance. I have been there.

Living in an area where it is hot for several months each summer I found good floor and firewall insulation is a big benefit. I have gone for insulation on the bottom side and exhaust as well, not the most attractive look, but then I can’t remember when someone looked under my car.

I have had air conditioned hot rods for over 40 years. It’s performance feature for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. Slopok

Slopok

One of those artificial frozen blue ice packs in the small of your back works for a while.

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun. Rudyard Kipling said that, I believe.
    On my roadster, I have a zip out rear window. Air flows comfortably through and the top doesn't make a lot of noise, at freeway speed. No matter the weather, I hate driving a hot rod in traffic.

7. Im too old to act like I can tough it out when it is hot. 100 degree air is 100 degrees sitting still or driving down the interstate. I sold the 50 shoebox and bought a 64 C10 project it will have vintage air. Oh yea, I bought a window air unit and put it in the shop while I build the 64 it will be cool.

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

slack, chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

My coupe has sit a lot in the last few weeks, just too hot.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

67926460_10214324440376088_8534708588248039424_n.jpg
    I just drive it as I can't do anything about the heat.

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I got Vintage Air in my 40. I don't give a shit what people think. I'm old, I'm hot, I'm turning the AC on

i.rant, osage orange, slack and 2 others like this.
  11. Same thing here had heat exhaustion and heat stroke 2wice.. it sux bad. Heat gets worst every year now and cant work in the direct sun much anymore during the summers.
    Get stuff done in the am like before 11 and late afternoon 7ish or so.

Glad I work in a AC office anymore

12. Dang quoting my own post...

Sure is NICE right now in MI.
    No AC on relaxed in the backyard this afternoon. Gettin rdy for a fun filled weekend.

Sure beats 115 back home..

13. I was at a fairly large show and I was standing in line waiting to get a BBQ plate and told Brenda I am going to go over to a covered area and I was getting swimmy headed, she said I took about three steps and fell flat on my face, there was a huge crowd and fortunayly there was a paramedic and a nurse in line, they came to check me out, they said I was out about 3 minutes and I don't remember a thing.

I gave everyone a scare and it only set in what had happened after I got home, I called my doctor and she ask me a few questions and told me to come to the office Monday morning, after she checked me over she said I was OK but told me some of the medication I take it I should avoid prolonged exposure to the heat & sun. HRP

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My folks didn’t get a house AC or a car with AC until 1979, a year after I got married and moved out! Window and box fans were it, windows down on the car. On the other hand, we had AC in our house trailer, had to have it, you couldn’t stay in that hot box without it. I worked outside for years doing carpentry and working in the woods logging, we didn’t own a vehicle with a working AC. Some of them had it, they just didn’t work and I never got them fixed. When the wife finished college and went to work, I bought her a car with working AC so she could go to work without sweating. I didn’t get used to AC too much until I started trucking, you ain’t been hot until you’ve driven a Mack R Model pulling a heavy load in the summer without AC! Not only do you have the air temp, the truck makes its own heat to add to it!

I don’t have AC in my car yet, but I’m starting to look at my options. Under dash, or hidden, Vintage Air, or Mastercool, or modify a stock unit from something like a S10 or maybe a small rear unit from a SUV or van, haven’t made up my mind yet. Like Vintage air and hear good things about them, but the price is a big consideration.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

In Minnesota it's normally really hot for only a couple months out of the year. Most events start early enough that extreme heat isn't an issue, at least on the ride there. If it is hot, I try to avoid stop and go driving by taking a less congested route or wait for traffic lighten up so I can keep moving.

16. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Have a friend who moved from WA. state to AZ. Home with a large yard and he loved working in it. I asked him how he did it in the Summer. He said he put on a flannel shirt jumped in the pool and was good for about an hour. It’s called evaporative cooling. Doesn’t work in high humidity.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. rosstom

rosstom

Can't tolerate the heat, so I usually go out in the morning or late afternoon.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Going to a huge Ford car show on Sunday at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn.... Weather man sez it's gonna hit 90° F.... I'll be out of there before that happens..... :(

rosstom and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

plug the holes in the firewall and floors

20. Bill S

Bill S

How about the old swamp cooler that goes on the floor?

21. When I was putting the interior in my old beater I also addressed things I knew I needed to do, I installed insulation throughout the car, I also emergency brakes and a horn which I never had previously and I was sick and tired of freezing my butt off during the winter so I knew I was going to install a heater.

I had purchased a heater a few years prior to starting the upholstery job but my pal Dave needed it for a project and he traded me a Vintage air & heat unit, so I went ahead and installed it in the car.

I have never liked the way all the hoses and compressor looks under the hood of a hot rod but my engine ain't pretty nor is the firewall and I can honestly say that the air sure vfelt good when we went on the All Deuce Run this year.

Now when the weather gets cold I hope the heat works just as good as the air. HRP

47ragtop, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Took the '34 Roadster to L'ville, parked in the Handicap Lot & went straight inside. It has Vintage Air that I have never used except to test - side curtains have never been put on & back window is always up. Took the Sedan Delivery to Bowling Green for Tri-Five nationals & roasted, no place to hide. The beach umbrella kept the rays off but humidity was tough. Told my friend "Not coming back here in August again!". Put Vintage AC/Heat in everything!! Getting old sucks but beats the alternative!!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  23. exterminator

exterminator

I don't have any room in my forty with the blower for air conditioning unless I pull out the blower and go back to a regular carb and manifold.:eek: Naaaaaaaa :cool:

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Many years I ran the old 56 without air, just vent windows etc and as long as you roll about 60 or faster its fine... stopped sucks... I broke down and put a vintage air mini under the dash... after a few years of lackluster performance and only cooling the cab 15 degrees below ambient I am about to pull it out. All new seals, 3 layers of insulation and still sucks. It will push 40 degree vent temps but then starts cycling, preventing ice and i get it, but it just cant exchange enough air to cool my cab, honestly I think the VA mini is the biggest piece of undersized junk I have seen, I guess its a good retrofit for a smart car or model a coupe, that's about it. Sorry to rant, but FOLKS oversize your AC for your needs, GET more than what you need and don't take someones word for it, or alot of $ later, you have something you cant get any use out of. Don't get stuck with a ac that cant cool..... RESEARCH is my word of the day.

Power tour 2016 it let me down and 15 degrees below 105 aint enough and I endured the whole thing 110-120 inside the cab of my truck.. 10 days, 3000 miles.. Windows down, alot of water stops.... May be a bit sour still due to when I have wanted it or needed it, it failed to do its job. My miles of using AC in the truck is 1 mile per 1000 traveled since its been installed... Id love to use it, but it wont do the job so its a paper weight.

Looking at the Hurricane system now...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  25. Drive at night works for me.

Deuces likes this.
  26. slack

slack

Deuces likes this.
  27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Just an FYI, 114 here today.:eek:

Deuces likes this.
  28. partssaloon

partssaloon

just got back from Parker (the town next to us) 45 miles one way, 118 degrees driving the 32 3W. Don't even think about it without the A/C, nice comfortable drive.

Deuces likes this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Speaking of air conditioners, with the R-134a generation of freon timing out soon. Will the present systems need to be upgraded to handle the new stuff?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  30. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER