Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you look to see if people are looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I was so crushed by learning that my elbow hanging out was uncool that I stopped looking to see if others were looking at me.

2. trollst

trollst

Well, unlike you wannabees, I am cool, been cool all my life, a true god to the goddesses, I hang my arm out just so I can show it off, lord, it's hard to be humble.....
    In reality, I hardly notice those staring, it's always my passengers that see them.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Notthisshitagain_zps285f6780.jpg

61Cruiser, LAROKE, quick85 and 11 others like this.
  4. I drive mine everyday and just drive like a regular old man, if someone takes the time to wave , etc. I respond with a thanks. Just love driving my old Ford.

5. One time years ago I was giving a non-car guy friend a ride around town in my '34 Chevy 3W and after about 45 mins he said, "how do you know all these people that wave at you?", I laughed and told him I didn't, they were waving at the car.

6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

williebill and chainsaw like this.
  7. exterminator

exterminator

I am always cool when I am in my hotrod! Just no one else knows it!:(

williebill, Hombre, Bugguts and 5 others like this.
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

No,
    Act like a movie star,, totally oblivious to anyone checking you out.

Just go about your business as if it’s perfectly normal to look so cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue One, Deuces and exterminator like this.
  9. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Had a women come up to me at
    safeyway and ask me why I don't you buy a new car!! Told her what she could do with her _ _ _ _

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  10. A friend and I were sitting at a light, on our way over the NHRA Museum cruise. An older lady stopped for the light in the lane next to us. She looked over and said "what gas mileage does that thing get". I looked over at her and said "around 12mpg on a good day". She gets a real snotty look on her face and says "my Prius does 68 mpg". Then my buddy hollers " but it still looks like shit". She had this priceless look of shock on her face, put the window up, and just looked straight ahead. When the light changed I squeaked the tires pretty good right beside her and took off. Must have scared her. She pulled over behind me and stayed about 10 cars back.

Like everyone else I get waves and thumbs up once in a while. Around town I wave back. On the freeway, not so much. I'm too worried about the goofy bastards not looking at the road, and veering right over into my lane. That shit scares me.

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Just give em a parade Queen wave,smile and say, I know.....Cool isnt it?:D

williebill likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always driven cars that seemed to attract more than their share of attention so maybe I got used to it a long time ago. Still one does take notice and why not.
    Best story though is a few years ago I was driving either the 48 or the 51 Merc I had all decked out in a fresh coat of primer headed somewhere and this car that the yuppies thought was the have to have to show your success car pulls up beside me at the light and I glance over and the very good looking gal in the passenger seat is giving my ride and me the eye and had a big smile on her face when I looked and smiled at her. The driver who had up until that time been totally self absorbed and in his own little world caught her/us in the act and smoked it down the street when the light changed.

13. We all get those guys that pull up next to you at the light and say, "Nice car man!" and give a thumps up...

Well, one time when our daughter was young it happened again. This guy pulls up in an old '84-'85 POS with about 700,000 miles on it and says, "Nice car man!" and she peeks around from the back seat and says, "Wish I could say the same!"

Thank God the light changed and we were off! :eek::oops::D

61Cruiser, williebill, jaw22w and 6 others like this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The car gets lots of smiles and waves, and I like that. But I could do without the horns honking right in my ear!

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driving here in "South Little Saigon" I've more to worry about than look in cool.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Reminds me back when the PT Cruiser:eek: first came out, late 1999 I think, my high school pal invited me down to Pleasanton for the GG's shindig and they pick me up in his friends' PT POS, man, where did I put my Halloween mask?
    Apparently it was one of the first ones to hit the road cuz people were all over that thing, and the owner was acting like he was some kind of celebrity, I just wanted to hide.

17. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I usually like a little attention when I'm driving the old effie or my 71 Cutlass vert. It's kinda funny cuz when someone says "nice truck" I sorta feel unworthy because the truck is a rusty unshined old beater. When driving the Olds, I usually don't look around any more at a light as I do in my daily driver, but if I see someone waving or giving thumbs up or the like, I acknowledge it with a wave or smile. I must admit it sure feels good when they do, especially if it's a hottie!!

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Slow down

Slow down

When that happens I tell them I ‘m retired and on a fixed income. I love the look I get.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

19. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am not beyond trying to LOOK cool, but I am just not cool anymore.

williebill, X-cpe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not only do I look to see if anyone is looking at my car, I also stop to pose with it laying across the hood with my ruby lip stick and polka dot poodle skirt that I keep in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimmy six and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i drive my cars (3) all the time ....when i have to stop at lights or traffic jam i like to look all around me
    so as to be aware of my surroundings....but i don't try to make eye contact with anybody,but i always try to acknowledge anybody that waves or gives thumbs up which are very common when out driving coz it makes me happy that my cars make them happy

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

The only thing I can comment on about driving my now-finished and no longer HAMB-friendly '55 truck is I drive VERY defensively.

These vehicles just don't stand up to wrecks well. Or should I say our bodies don't stand up well to being bounced around the inside of an all metal body with pointy knobs, etc. Other than that, if someone honks or waves, I smile and acknowledge them but that's all.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I work at a pretty big tourist attraction and I drive my truck every day. My coworkers have gotten used to tourists stopping me at the crosswalk when leaving the parking garage to take pics of my daily driver.It makes them happy and I feel I'm doing something good to project how the rest of the world views us:rolleyes:

Fordors and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

I ran a business here in town for 25 years. During that time, I've had several hot rods. Most people in town know I have these old rides and the one they see driving down the road may belong to me. They are looking to see if I'm driving it. People were always coming into my shop asking me why I was so stuck up. They would see me in my hot rod, and wave, but if I failed to acknowledge their wave, they thought I was too stuck up to wave back. My response was always "Let me guess, you saw me in my hot rod, right? You saw me coming 6 blocks away, and I didn't see you until you were right beside me, but then it was too late for me to wave."

You better believe I look at everyone one around me when I'm in my hot rod, for 3 reasons really,
    1) I don't want to miss one of my customers waving at me.
    2) I want to see the person coming at me, or driving along side of me knows I'm there so that I can see if I need to make a decisive change in my driving to avoid a problem.
    3) I enjoy the attention my rides attract, I built it for my wife and me to enjoy, if others are enjoying it as well, all the better. Gene

26. I went for a drive with my daughter at the tiller, just introducing her to "cruising", and she was noticing the attention she was getting, so I just went with it. She finally worked it out, "Hey Dad, how come nobody looks at me when I'm driving my toyota?"

27. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

If you drivem every day , sometimes you'll wonder why people are looking atcha

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

I'm betting it's said inside this post somewhere...I only look to see who's looking when I'm strutting in my Speedo.

61Cruiser likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Try driving around in a Crosley..Lots of looks, most all smile, some point for the kids to see and some don't see you at all and have to avoid getting run over, side walks are your friend..I usually catch some one starring at it in the parking lots..I used to have a big Shepard-like dog that went with me every where; most people would comment that the dog is bigger than the car..Some times when cashing out at a store I would look out the front windows and see people talking to the dog, like he was gonna tell them about the car! I swear his head would swell with the attention, sometimes he would make out like he didn't notice them..Lots of pics taken..I stop at a light and a new little Fiat 500 stops next to me..Its horn beeps and I look over and see a young girl smiling and giving me the thumbs up, I guess we be in sync..That made me smile..

Attached Files:

30. Deuces and Montana1 like this.