Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Machinery ID needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Aug 14, 2019.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Hoping to find help identifying what this piece of machinery does and it's value. Trying to help a widow sell some things. 7908.jpeg

ottoman and Deuces like this.
  2. My guess its for brake lining replacement. part for riveting the linings and part for grinding the linings?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

4. alchemy

alchemy

The brake shoe arcing fixture is hard to find nowadays, and I would love to have one. You are too far away to ship a ton of cast iron though. I'd think it's worth at least $200-300.

flatford39, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, I have one in the shop, and used one as a kid replacing linings on truck shoes

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

That thing belongs in a museum..... Gee, I'm starting to sound like young Indiana Jones.... :confused::rolleyes:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is probably more of a museum piece or display piece than one you want to use in a shop as there is no way to collect the dust from arcing the lining on the shoes and you would have lining dust everywhere in the shop. Interesting unit that may be pre WWII though.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. ...........Wonder how many brake techs eventually died from lung cancer or mesothelioma after using this machine for years.:(

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  9. partssaloon

partssaloon

Basically EPA outlawed them back in the late 70's due to asbestos dust in the air when you arc'd the shoes. Big truck shops would still use the rivet machine.

10. Yes we had the asbestos linings. Worked for a time in a truck shop. I would blow the dust away with a air hose . no resperator. that was 50 years ago. I suppose I should have lung problems? I never ground on any linings. I still have a supply of asbestos brake linings. Today I use JB weld to attach them to the brake shoes. organic linings suck.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And how many of us, like me, spent decades up to our elbows in leaded gas while cleaning filthy junkyard parts??

Moriarity, warbird1, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  12. Probably not too many today that would even know how to rivet and radius the shoes...

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.