Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintage Open car or vintage enclosed top car more fun to drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Aug 14, 2019.

1. So I keep going back and forth in my head about building an open car....I work with several motorcycle guys and they love to just go out and ride...they say there is nothing like the feel of the air around them and how free they feel...

I have fought with trying to enjoy the whole old car driving experience since I rebuild my first one several years ago and drove it to work a couple of times...they seem to be so loud inside the cab when driving them...

So would an open-top car be more enjoyable to drive around town than an enclosed one??

Thanks in advance.

MikeC

2. Build/buy 1 of each. Then ya don't have 2 worry bout it.

3. Jokester

Jokester

Depends on the weather.

big duece, raven and scotty t like this.
  4. Problem solved!

da34guy likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Come down to Texas in the summer with your open car. You will wish you had a roof for shade

6. uncle buck

uncle buck

Ever seen an unhappy dog riding in the back of a pickup? They are always happy in the fresh air , you could enjoy the same feeling

7. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

How about a roadster with a top.

scotty t likes this.
  8. butch27

butch27

Mine---more smiles per mile.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Blondes or Brunettes?

firstinsteele and da34guy like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

OP seems more concerned with the noise factor - put in good insulation & toned down mufflers, not directly under passenger area

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, old cars can be loud inside. Closed cars are loud, open cars are louder.

Having a top greatly improves the conditions IMO. Even the hottest days are fine to drive around when you have a top, it's like sitting in the shade of a nice tree on a hot day. Without a top it can be almost unbearable, you got to keep moving. On cold winter days it's just the opposite, it's nice to have a little more blockage of the wind around you, less need to bundle up like an Eskimo. At the end of the day it's just personal preference. It is a great feeling in an open car on a mild day, the wind in your face. That is a great feeling. But if you can only have one or the other, I'll go with a closed car.

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

Flip flops or boots?

13. If you ever drove a roadster any length of time at all, you would not have to ask. Nothing better!!

chevyfordman likes this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Right, no question! However a roadster with a stock type top and no side curtains is nice once all the hair and skin on top of you has burned off...you have most of the open car airflow without the skin cancer.
    A coupe is just a normal car, only good for when ice and mud are blowing at you. I think bikers call cars like that "Cages"

Moriarity likes this.
  15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I prefer coupes. I like the looks of a roadster, but to me, having the sun beating down on me while I'm driving for long periods just isn't enjoyable. Roadsters are neat, but coupes are cool, too ! Guess that's why they made different types of cars.........

16. Both and throw in a red head just for sh*ts and giggles

raven, Chavezk21 and TagMan like this.
  17. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

If you build it right a closed car is plenty quiet and comfortable. I’ve driven my wagon on a few longer trips and it’s a super comfortable ride. The only sound is the wind through the open windows.

However,
    Nothing beats the wind in your hair in an open car.
    There’s a place near my work that runs helicopter tours.
    The day I was stopped at the light and the helicopter came in low for a landing and flew right over my ot Convertible, I knew I’d alway have an open car!

Take a ride in an open roadster at night when the stars are out and you’ll be sold on open cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't been without a ragtop since I was 19. I have 2 now and as soon as I can convince the wife I will have a 3rd in the form of a mid engine, retractable hardtop, 2020 Vette. Of course we have perfect summers for convertibles here, we haven't hit 100 and likely wont now this year. 84 is the hogh today, nothing higher than 80 for the next 9 days. I love summer in the PNW.

20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having all enclosed top hot rods and cruisers, I am a little biased. They are more fun to drive because of no worries about road grime, flying bugs, or for the women, flying hair that tangles while “blowing in the wind.” During the time my wife and I drove all over So Cal and into the Northern California hot spots, being enclosed made those trips enjoyable. Cruising with girls presents a problem that sometimes guys just don’t get. It has to be enjoyable to enjoy what comes next on those short or long road trips.

Not that girls/women are prissy princesses, but it must be the age era. Since we could not get more “open air” than on a Harley, being 20 somethings helped a lot. Just brush it out and we were good to go anywhere, in any style. But, for all of the coolness in open roadsters, RPUs and 50-60 convertibles, there are some drawbacks.

Having a bee go up your jacket sleeve and make a harrowing episode of some panic situation was not the most enjoyable thing. I guess being allergic to those stings, walking around with a Popeye forearm and itching like crazy made for a colorful scene in our household. It was not good.

These days, even the windows stay up.

Jnaki

upload_2019-11-8_3-32-59.png
    But, for all of the times I got a ride in a T bucket, an open 32 roadster, 32 phaeton and an RPU, those memories will be remembered as fun, cold, windy and a great time was had by all. My wife got to ride in a 1947 Buick Convertible when she was 6-7. She remembers it being windy, but fun.

Being 20 somethings, not much bothered us in our simple lives. Nothing compares to being on a Harley with the wind in your face and hair blowing back, but even those episodes have drawbacks, too.

OFT likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I had an off topic late model convert for a short time. Every time we rode around with the top down, I got a major headache within a 1/2 hour. The only way I could stand driving it was with a hat and very dark sunglasses. Don't miss that at all! My wife's car has a sunroof, I have to close that up to drive the car very long.
    It has to have a roof, and insulation, and fairly quite exhaust these days. The wife and I put a boat load of miles on our coupe every year. Gene

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does it rain a lot where you live?