Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did I get myself into... 23 Bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowCountry Mike, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Holy shit Batman! That is one "interesting" rear suspension set up. Coil-overs, air shocks, and are those leaf springs quarter elliptical, or do they pivot on the forward shackle, kinda like a swing arm?

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

It looks like they used the leaf spring as a lower control arm. You can see the pivot point at the right of the picture. I think I would be concerned about the axle twisting under acceleration or from take off.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Not my favorite "mag", but blasting the rims, & paint + detailing the spokes could well be a decent look. Sure would get a second look. I think it'd work well. Cheap enough to try...
    Marcus...

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  4. Cool dune buggy:)
    Clean it up, get it safe and running, title it.
    Drive the crap out of it for a few weeks, see if its you.
    Then start pricing changes, can add up pretty quick.
    If its not your thing, sell it for a lil profit.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Appears the u-bolts are welded to the housing making the leaf spring act as a truck-arm ????

loudbang likes this.
  6. RodStRace

RodStRace

It sure looks like an 8", but I'd wait for one of the experts on rear axles to confirm. There were a lot of cool drop-out center axles in the 50s from other makes.

Ford bolt pattern would be 5 lug on 4.5 inch circle (PCD) shared with many Mopars. GM was mostly 5 on 4.75".
    [​IMG]

The rear frame area with the round section is strange, kind of like a VW again.
    [​IMG]
    The welded U bolts are scary too.
    I'd still say get it low-speed safe and running, There is a lot that is not kosher in those pics for regular use though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  7. Haha,
    It's not the first time I've been told about the welded U-bolts. I was hauling it home and stopped to get tires on my truck. Everyone came out to look, and a guys claimed to have never seen that, and that it probably isn't the safest way to do it.

I spent some time with it last night in the garage, and I'm thinking that the work needed to be done to make it safe is way more advanced than I am. I lack both the tools, and knowledge to correct some of these things. I may just drag it to the road on a trailer and hang a for sale sign on it. I think I need a little less project, for my first project. Mike

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  8. upspirate

upspirate

I'd still blast and paint the wheels before you sell.....Think curb appeal. Maybe "chrome" look rims with a metallic silver center/spokes. Good for you to sit back and see what your abilities are before you get in over your head

loudbang likes this.
  9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Agreed!
    If you want to sell, at least spend a little time cleaning it up and taking some good pictures.
    The "barn find look" works on Ferraris, not on stuff that is 'unique'.
    I really dislike ads that show a dirty car stuffed in the corner with junk piled around. Shows the seller is lazy, unmotivated or they think the price is so good someone will come over and clear up their space (usually not!)
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  10. low down A

low down A

how about asking exactly what you got in it ? and if you get it, consider your self lucky, not every thing in this world is a money maker

loudbang likes this.
  11. I'd fix the pickup box mounting to parallel the body, replace the rear suspension with center rear purch and Model "A" rear spring, 50 Merc steel wheels and hubcaps and you'll be set.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Fellas,
    I wanted to provide a quick update on what's going on with the Frankin-Bucket. So far, nothing noticeable, or I would post some pics. I've had the car on stands for about a month going through various items, and identifying where they are from. So far, the front is VW (as stated), rear is 8" from a 72 Maverick. Both seem in operable condition so no money getting thrown at them yet.

Almost got the brake system back together, everything had gunk in it. I replaced all the lines, cylinders, shoes, fittings etc. Once the brakes are back operational, I plan on testing the transmission this weekend.

Had a few drinks the other night in garage and gave it a few hard revs, only to backfire the car through the carb (Holley 600cfm) and now I'm dealing with the fuel spit. Hopefully I can get it buttoned up for a test run around the neighborhood this weekend.

Waiting to her back from seller to get a new BOS, the original went somewhere.... Once all that is done, I'm going to decide to keep it or move it down the road. Fingers crossed on transmission!

RS
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    eddie1 and loudbang like this.
  13. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I've got a T-bucket and a DuneBuggy, you've got them combined into one. I have seen lots of "Volks-rods" with the VW pan and T-Bucket body, but this is the first bug front end mounted on a V-8 style 'Bucket I've seen. How are the torsion tubes mounted, I see it has the shock towers still? image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    loudbang and brigrat like this.