Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cooling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEE CHRISTENSEN, Aug 13, 2019.

1. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

I am wondering if a pusher fan is my answer.
    Here's my question, I currently have a 16" 3000cfm puller fan in my car now, it runs 180-190 on hyway, but as soon as I get in town or slow traffic it heats up.
    My question is, can I run a pusher fan with this combo to help cool down in slower traffic?

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Need more info.......heats up to what? Engine? Car? etc etc etc

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How about some pictures of the engine and radiator configuration.
    Need more info.

4. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

Attached Files:

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A puller. is always more effective than a pusher.
    A pusher also blocks air going into the radiator.
    Check your distributor to be sure the advance is operating properly. Are you running too lean?
    The radiator looks rather new but is the thermostat acting correctly?
    Check the lower hose is it constricting?. Have an inner spring?
    Maybe a broken impeller?
    Try removing the thermostat to see if the condition persists.
    How hot is hot???
    Measuring it with a gun?
    Boiling over?

Hnstray likes this.
  6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

its got air cond. what water pump? is the radiator 2 3 4 row? what mfg? what pully set?

Hnstray likes this.
  7. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

Everything is new ( water pump stock, thermastat 180 Steward fail safe, Zirgo 16" 3000 cm, 2 core aluminium radiator), runs from 180 to 220 at a stop. Vintage Air ac

8. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

You need a fan shroud

Black_Sheep and RMONTY like this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

what kind of car? what is the engine? how can we help if we know nothing about the car?

10. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

It's a 1950 Mercury with a 350 SBC, there is no room for a shroud unless I run it around the fan. But the fan would still be mounted to the radiator, do too only about a 1/4" room between fan and water pump pulley. 20190812_083347.jpg

11. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd start by tossing the Zirgo fan as far as I could. It's not an honest 3000 cfm, look at the current it draws and compare it to a REAL 2300- 2500 cfm fan. I'll bet it's fed with 16 or 18 gauge wire...
    Zirgo is a Hoffman Group brand, all their stuff is offshore rubbish.

Hnstray and Texas Webb like this.
  12. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Yup, first thing to do is put fan in a shroud

Hnstray and RMONTY like this.
  13. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

I've got 2 3/4" of clearance between the face of the radiator to the fan pulley. Haven't found a fan setup that will fit in that space and clear the pulley.
    Any suggestions?

14. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

What brand would you recommend? Been calling Spal with no reply

15. spanners

spanners

If I've got this right, the fan is between the radiator and engine but being a pusher you are trying to 'push' the hot air forward? As you drive it's pushing the hot air back into the pusher? The electric fan I use on my avatar can be wired to push or pull. It pulls air through the radiator when I'm stopped and across the engine.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

give us a better picture of the engine compartment. A small block in a 50 merc usually has way more room than that.

17. He said its a 16'' puller fan not a pusher.
    Is it a short or long water pump? Also said its only a two row radiator. JW

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is not much of a fan and they should never be attached to the radiator core IMFSHO. The fan should be buried in the shroud and attached to it and the shroud attached to the frame on the radiator. I know the way you have it is the way everyone does it but they are wrong and I am right. And use a SPAL fan, as big as you can fit and their controller with a relay.
    Is it even HAMB etiquette to discuss proper electric fan usage? I doubt it. Oh well, done is done.
    Something like this...not exactly like this cuz this one is mine but you get the idea.
    upload_2019-8-13_17-25-57.png

Halfdozen and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two row radiator “might” work depending on the size of the tubes. If its a budget radiator it “might” not work.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In a very recent discussion with a radiator manufacturer he said, very explicitly, the fan should be at the TOP of the radiator (applies to downflow style). NOT in the middle or bottom, if you want the most effective cooling from a given core.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Halfdozen likes this.
  21. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

It's a 2 row 1 1/4" tubes, it's not attached to the radiator. Its mounted with mounting tabs, but it's still flush with face of the radiator. I only have 2 3/4" of room to work with not much room for a shroud. If I make a shroud and mount the fan on the inside it would still be on the face of the radiator.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

show us a pic of the whole engine compartment. A Merc usually has way more room and a much taller radiator than what you have

mcsfabrication likes this.
  23. LEE CHRISTENSEN

LEE CHRISTENSEN

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Cooling Components fan is 2 5/8” deep.

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

i.rant is correct.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I respect that post as you are always well informed and your posts are intelligent but I will base the following comment not on a conversation but on actual use; my heat prone (supposedly) flathead, bored 125 over, running a 471 supercharger has been running all summer, including this hot evening, with zero overheating issues. Money where my mouth is (and a lot of it!). Of course I am not an expert radiator manufacturer, I just paid Lee at Brassworks to be.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It seems to me that there is room for a mechanical fan and shroud. I don’t understand why people use electric fans when there is room for a water pump driven fan

Halfdozen, bobss396, texasred and 2 others like this.
  28. ^^ What Moriarity said. A water pump mounted fan should fit and give you room for a shroud. The shroud will help the fan pull air through the entire radiator. You also want to be sure the air can't flow around the radiator from the front side.

Moriarity likes this.
  29. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Totally agree

30. I'd have to pile on with these guys. A shroud and flex fan are second to none if room and physical placement are available.
    If forced by radiator location to run an electric fan an shroud are the next best way to go. I just got through this problem with my '58 truck and not enough CFM's of air going through it. Camero sub frame puts radiator way to high for a flex fan. Home made shroud and a legit 3,000CFM double fan from Summit now keeps it cool in Texas heat and traffic.
    You might have to get creative... Best of luck!