Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Mystery of Ran’s Auto Works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 27, 2018.

1. redo32

redo32

I ran across this and said to myself "HHMmmmmmm". Cowboy movie star Buck Jones and his 1930 Cadillac built by Harley Earl. Earl and Kurtis where doing some similar styling ques.

Buck Jones 01.JPG
    Buck Jones 02.JPG
    It still exists. No info on current owner
    30-Cadillac-CV_Rdstr-DV-15-AI_01-800.jpg 30-Cadillac-CV_Rdstr-DV-15-AI_02-800.jpg

Jet96, Hamtown Al, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Auto Forensics. HAMB exclusively.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One can just imagine what the spindly fella with the dingle ball hat got up to car wise...

That threadstart custom/hotrod hybrid resembles the cartoon balloony looking depictions of the thirties. The suggestion of it being a pushcar is very valid and it has additional bars up that possibly were used for that very reason.

4. Yeah cause there's no beating a red or black '32. This is in line with what was being built in the mid to late 30s even into the early 40s. Look at the cars Frank Kurtis was building add to that George DuVall, this was of the times. Very art deco, not the best representation, true, but still a cool custom.

Stogy, Sancho, Bondo Slinger and 3 others like this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Might look ok as a Firechief's car.....but as a 5000 lb looking Model A custom, no.

302GMC likes this.
  6. I suppose they look the same, if you're looking through a fish eye lens.

Stogy, Sancho and cretin like this.
  7. Jet96, The37Kid, lurker mick and 5 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty darn cool that is...:rolleyes:...and its still around...and a thread to boot...thanks for sharing that @Jimmy B

9. SR100

SR100

I don't think the Ran's car was a pushcar. The pushcar reference was in regards to the white Chevy in the background. As seen in the 1940 pic I posted earlier, many of the pushcars at Ascot South were white.
    Incidently, the pic was taken near what is today Tweedy & Burtis. There's nothing there but a fenced off vacant lot.
    TweedCapture.JPG

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pushcar explanation...they were light cars and that well could have handled the chore especially with a larger engine which could have been a possibility. Did pushcars have a more visible mod to the front such as a board like addition?

As for the former hubbub of activity a dusty memories with a reminder of the past which happens alot as the times are constantly changing.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The trestle like structure can be seen in the original photo background.

Hamtown Al, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

paging @J.Ukrop

Well I was just snooping around the Hamb and being the treasure trove of Hotrod/Custom everything I have Found a piece of the Ran's puzzle. A thread on the Car itself posted by Hamber @Bob Lincoln some time ago...Many answers are within the Document he posted which ran in a publication called...October, 1937 AUTOBODY TRIMMER AND PAINTER magazine...Anyways here ya go...He only had 9 posts...Glad you posted this Bob...;)

scan.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/picture-from-the-past.930489/#post-10483799

Credit to Photographer, Owner
    & Hamber @Bob Lincoln

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Jet96, Hamtown Al, slv63 and 7 others like this.
  13. Rckt98

Rckt98

Good result Stogy. The mystery solved.

Stogy likes this.
  14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Very nice @Stogy and Bob! Thanks for sharing :)

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy's the man!:cool: Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Just spreading the Gospel fellas...Thanks...;)...it is great to find something to connect the dots...and as the story goes he built it for a role of a shop truck...including towing Midget Racers as alluded. It would be nice to see what else came out of his shop back in the day. 1937 that A Bone was still a relatively new car.

bowie and Sancho like this.
  17. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks Stogy.... VERY interesting.
    I came across another small article on the same car a while ago. It was published in the January 1951 of Ford Times magazine in their ‘Custom Conversion” section. The owner and builder is Ran Wilbur of Los Angeles. And it looks like the photo used in the ’51 magazine was also taken in ’37, same license plate is showing as the original black and white photo from this post.
    customcarchronicle_53871688_885192658479366_3424698451808866409_n.jpg

Hamtown Al, Squablow, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing that @Rikster it definately got some press...this was a standalone and a very polished one at that...I wonder if he just ran the 4 banger...it doesn't explicitly say... in 37 the V8s were out already...

19. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great detective work, Stogy. You have a mind like a steel trap.

Stogy likes this.