Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Temp Gauge in op... question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Aug 11, 2019.

1. lincolnwheel.jpg So I noticed last night that my temp gauge quick working all of sudden... It a mechanical Stewart Warner curved glass gauge … I know it should be a simple to fix most likely... I thought maybe it was stuck and did try tapping on it to see it would free it up.. Did do that a few times with no result.. May try it again , was driving so I didn't really try to hard knocking it with my knuckle.. Have the 36 in the garage this afternoon will and do it again maybe from the back side... Looked around on the internet for a replacement capillary tube replacement if it needs one with not much luck last night.. anyone know of a place to get one if it bad ? Thank you guys/gals always for the help.. Cheers Rob

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. BJR

BJR

Have you checked the water level on the engine? Pull the sender and stick it in some hot water and see if the gauge works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Montana1 likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Capillary tube replacement isn't generally a home repair. What year is that gauge? SW isn't the company they use to be.

4. water level looked fine... will take the sender out and trying that.. Not sure what year the gauge is , it is a curved glass with a crest needle... maybe 40's ? or... not really sure maybe someone else who knows more about them could answer that... Thank you for the replies

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. borrowed a temp gun from one of our tech's at work.. see what readings I get once it warms up .. can't hurt..
    also will check the fluid level again this evening.. I would think it would still read with a low fluid level.. but I'm no expert.. maybe I'll get lucky at the needle is just stuck.. I did get under the dash and tap around the housing..

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. If there is no or very low water in engine behind the sender it will not work. It reads water temp, not engine temp so if no water for the sender to sit in it will not work. Jimmie

Johnny Gee and Montana1 like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

There is no replacing that sender capillary by yourself. That gauge is worth too much to screw around with. Send it to a trusted professional to get fixed.

It's common for them to get sticky inside since it's 70 years old. The pro will carefully remove the bezel (not easy to do) and face to check the inner operation, and it might need to be only cleaned and lubed. But, maybe it has leaked it's ether, and will need to have the leak fixed and be recharged.

firstinsteele likes this.
  9. You need a big hammer... :eek::D (Just messing with ya.) You need water on the bulb and you can't replace the capillary tube. Sounds like you're up for a new gauge. ;)

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

alchemy is exactly right. Your beautiful S.W. rear mount temp gauge uses a line and capillary tube. It was made in the 1930's to early 40's. If it hasn't been rebuilt yet, then it may need a recharge. Cut your gauge some slack, its been working for 90 years;)
    Do the checks you've stated but if it's the capillary tube you'll have to send it in. Most likely it will just need a recharge (capillary tube filled with gas) if it needs a new line, that can be done as well.
    I just got mine back and will have another one to send in as soon as I get my paws on it.

Here is a photo of one of mine. I just got a new line and capillary tube. The capillary tube is the brass tube on the end of the line. Do not mess with your temp gauge too much if you're not familiar with these as it's far too valuable and rare. Send it in...you'll be glad you did. A recharge is approx. $130

Recharging the tube is common...no worries.

20190812_112604.jpg

20190812_112639.jpg

This is my beautiful MotoMeter from the 1930's, it works exactly like yours. I do have a Stewart Warner temp gauge identicle to yours, too.
    Ok...and maybe a few more...it's a sickness...I really like these old gauges.

20190812_112458.jpg

Just got it back and it works great!!
    20190812_120242.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Montana1 likes this.
  11. Who did you use to rebuild your temp gauge? Looking for a reliable source. Thanks.

Phil

12. I wasn't even going to mess with that temp gauge for sure.. I was just wonder if one could be bought new.. @Speed~were did you send yours to be fixed ? they did a great job.. @alchemy @Speed~ Thanks you for all the information.. Just thought it weird stopped working all off sudden.. Drove to Goodguys in Puyallup and bombed around town a few time since.. Saturday night poof.. Thank you's again!

13. Speed~On

Speed~On

14. Thanks guys for all the tips.. So I did add a quart and half of coolant.. thought the level was fine..
    did tap on the gauge also again this evening.. Bingo it started working again this evening.. had the temp gun out and the gauge was pretty correct to boot ! @Speed~On and @BJR @pprather @alchemy

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

Awesome!! Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Much easier and less expensive than sending your gauge in for repair. FWIW, those old temp gauges are pretty bullet proof. Your capillary tube was just looking for some water:cool:

Montana1 likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Thanks for posting the fix.

Montana1 likes this.
  17. thanks again.. was pretty happy it was working... power of the HAMB

Speed~On likes this.
  18. thank you for the reply and helping...

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

A 70 year old guage pulling double duty. Reading the temperature & letting you know when your coolant level is low. Now that's damn good quality !

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rob-redm likes this.
  20. ha ha , so true !

21. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

John Wolf & Co in Willoughby ,OH did my '34 Ford orig temp unit.2 week turnaround.I was quite pleased.

22. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2691.JPG I'm not sure about the accuracy of my gauge now. Although it read 200 degrees the other day, Using my lazer thermometer I couldn't find any place on the engine (flathead) or the radiator that was over 180. I had it reconditioned about 20 years ago so maybe it's time to do it again. I've also been thinking about putting a more modern gauge on the other head so that I can compare the two sides.

rob-redm likes this.