Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical THE most rare Pontiac intake ever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Nov 29, 2016.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

No problem

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Elcohaulic, TFoch, Thor1 and 9 others like this.
  3. Snowman454007

Snowman454007
    from Austin, TX

That's just absolutely wild!!! I wonder what that's like to drive to say nothing for keeping it tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

Dimitrie Toth
    Please contact Richard Baba
    I remember my parents mentioning your family name in the past. Fellow born in Pontiac, hotrodders so it seems. My grandmother Pauline Baba worked at PMD on Joslyn for 40 years. Lived on Joslyn street as well. She could walk to work in minutes. I loved to see the new Pontiacs driving in the boulevard.
    My number is 702-286-9992
    Richard[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

harpo1313, Thor1, loner2 and 5 others like this.
  5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Is a edelbrock X-2 Cross ram 6x2 rare

6. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Let me know if anyone has a Pontiac 6x2 or 4x2 intake they want to sell. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Amazing history. Thanks to all for posting.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. Yall better start hiding all your special secret carb set=ups.I just saw Smokey sneaking in the back door
    for you slow thinkers that's Smokey as in Yunick

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Hey L.B. I borrowed some pics from this thread for the induction thread.... Hope you don't mind.....:oops::(

10. pmdguy

pmdguy

I have seen this car before at the POCI nationals a few years back. It's cool that its Pontiac powered! I would LOVE to own that intake!!! Definitely an authentic vintage drag car!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  11. enigma57

enigma57

[​IMG]

Now that's my kind of manifold! :)

Dig it......

Harry

12. enigma57

enigma57

Jon Hardgrove at The Carburetor Shop has an X2 for 1955-1964 Pontiacs. It ain't cheap, but comes with 6 redone Holley 8BA carburetors ready to go once throttle linkage and fuel lines are fitted......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Multicarbsetups.htm

Happy Motoring,

Harry

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Although quite unusual and scarce, I don't know if I'd call it the most rare Pontiac Intake ever. It's definitely not "1 of 1" as I have seen others at Norwalk, as well as at the All Poncho Meet in Phoenix,and lastly in the Mickey Thompson/Fritz Voigt collection.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Pontiac made stock parts?

1947knuck likes this.
  15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Either of these MT intake manifold sets along with the heads are valuable, but factory RA V tunnel port intakes are very valuable also Screenshot_20200130-191041_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200130-191007_Chrome.jpg

1947knuck, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very cool. I love reading history . Now I need that , just because I like collecting cool stuff .:oops:

17. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Allen was from Maquoketa Iowa and he was a member of the Coronado Car Club in Maquoketa. The Coronado club was founded in 1959 and still exists today. I believe Jim owned the Studebaker but it was put together as a Coronado's club project. After they were done racing it the car was stuck away in a barn for decades. The club eventually took it out of the barn (possibly around 2009-2010?), dusted it off and started to take it to car shows in the Midwest. The photo below is of the Studebaker and Coronado member Doug Miller before the car was rescued from the barn (it may have been stored in Doug’s barn?). Doug Miller passed away in April 2016 and Jim Allen passed away in January 2017. I am not sure who ended up with the car after Jim’s passing.

Doug Miller April 2016.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  18. belair

belair

More info on those heads, please.

19. sdluck

sdluck

WOW thank you for sharing.

20. Fordors

Fordors

While I have no concrete info about them I’ll offer my thoughts on what I see. The second photo with the side mounted Rochester 4GC’s has what appear to be aluminum heads and the front mounted water elbows date them up to 1960 IIRC. I think ‘61 brought a new water pump and revised cooling system.
    Laying on the floor next to the dragster is a head with giant exhaust ports and also it clearly shows the outboard intake ports. What was the reasoning for changing the ports? A shorter port? More direct shot at the valves?
    Knudsen gave the green light for Pontiac innovation and performance, Mac McKellar (and no doubt others) had some ideas and M/T had the strong reputation that got his company the job of assisting with the R&D.

Deuces and belair like this.
  21. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Good story LB and it started a whole bunch of dialogue on rare factory stuff, thanks for posting. And LI Vic I think I know you or at least have a lot of mutual acquaintances fro LI. Nunzi is well known on LI and NYC to us old guys. I last saw him 2 years ago at the Dover Nostalgia drags at Lebanon dragstrip with his original Pontiac race car. We had a long talk about the old days. Not too many of the guys left unfortunately.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I seen that car run at Meltdown drags even pitted next to them Jim and Doug were both real good guys and the car looked just like it had been pulled outta the barn given a car wash then brought to the track the intake and carbs were definitely interesting and worked fantastic and the car ran real good I wondered where they were the last couple years I ran at Meltdown I had no idea that Jim and Doug both had passed sad to hear that wish I knew where the car went

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

It's the same engine, n/a version than blown. Maybe a one off version from M/T

loudbang likes this.
  24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I found these on e-Bay..

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      575.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      564.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      240 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
    1947knuck, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. frank spittle

frank spittle

Loudbang I don't know how I have missed this thread with it's numerous posts over the last 3-4 years. I had a long phone conversation with Arnie Beswick just yesterday preceding his induction into the North Carolina Drag Racing Hall of Fame, Feb. 15th, in Greensboro. In our conversation he told me Greensboro's Piedmont Dragway owner Bobby Starr was the first promoter to pay him appearance money after his win at the 1960 NASCAR/NHRA Winternationals in Daytona. Arnie will have his 90th birthday in a couple months but his memory is crystal clear. "There were four of us that drove my new 1960 Pontiac from Morrison, Illinois to Daytona pulling a small enclosed trailer full of luggage, tires, a 4.88 gear, slicks and extra parts we were sure to need plus some of NHRA's timing equipment. After winning, Bobby Starr who was there, offered me $200.00 to stop by his drag strip on the way home. I told him I had to get back to farming but would come back in early spring for the same price so we changed tires, put the road gear back in the car, hooked the loaded trailer up and drove home. When I came back a few months later I won his race plus the $200.00".
    I will see him in two weeks along with Pontiac racing history expert Bill Blair and will hopefully have something to add here. Bill has owned Arnie's original '63 Pontiac Swisscheese "Passionate Poncho" for over 35 years and will have it there. Bill also has at least one of the "Bathtub" manifolds.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  26. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

kidcampbell71, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  27. pmdguy

pmdguy

Keep the Pontiac stories coming, I love this stuff! I wish someone would make a movie telling Mickey Thompson's life story, that guy had his hands in everything and still has an influence on today's performance industry!!

28. loudbang

loudbang

Wow glad to hear he is still with us. He had many amazing cars over the years. I know I have posted several shots of different versions of the Passionate Ponchos probably in the super stock thread.

kidcampbell71, 1947knuck and Deuces like this.
  29. frank spittle

frank spittle

I totally agree with you. There have been many racing greats in the last 100 years going back to the Harry Miller days but in my opinion Mickey Thompson is the greatest. He DID have his hands in every kind of racing and made each one better. I hope someone will make a movie about his unbelievable life and tragic death. There are many of his Hollywood admirers who should only care about the story being told for historical reasons, not profits.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  30. Great thread and interesting read!