Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to make myself a cool COBRA text decal in white to stick on it but didn't have enough room for all the letters! LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

:) Well, if COBRA is too long, you could use these guys logo... :)
    http://www.bra-cars.com/

P.S. I see you showed the balance weight just to make sure everyone saw it was done!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Sancho and loudbang like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wrap a snake around it. ;)

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey that is a good idea! James where were you before I bolted the stupid thing in...LMA)!

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You can wrap it on the first test drive, looks close enough. :D

Deuced Up!, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You could candy stripe it like showboat tanners car is but then again this is a ford and it will never be seen like his lmao

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

. Isn't that a GM & Mopar firing order?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is however if you simply multiply it by 3 and reverse the rotation order it should come out Ford.

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am digging it James! Eat your heart out David Tanner...LMAO!

Shafted3.jpg

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I sure hope James' graphic doesn't mess things up on this meticulously balanced 10" shaft! LMAO!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's pretty cool!

Deuced Up! likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I had plans of working on the Cobra this weekend. However we started trimming trees early Saturday morning and it turned into a full blown landscape/Fall clean up nightmare! It ended Sunday about 75% complete which included: Pruning 10 trees and hauling off the branches, moving the old F150 to storage in Springfield, Pulling my daughters Sebring Parts car out from between the shops and taking anything else we thought we might need in the future off of it and then loading it in the trailer to haul off. We then decided to expand the parking slab area between the shops to park the trailer in which involved some serious "de-landscaping" because previous home owners had built a flower bed the length of the shop alongside the parking pad. We had to pull out 120 landscaping stones and figure out what to do with them. They ended up 100 feet away around my patio in a nice flower garden fashion. AND if it was not bad enough while visiting the local Lowes for some weed matting, my daughter found a Coy pond liner on sale at 75% off; so we dug a stupid hole for that crazy thing in the new flower garden! AND...if that was not enough we loaded about 500 pounds of scrap metal etc. on a trailer and I have it with me today to take to the recyclers. Speaking of today. Thank goodness I am back at work where I can rest!

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only Cobra related happenings this weekend was we named the car (or I should say my daughter named it). While working in the yard Saturday she had her phone playing oldies and Simon & Garfunkel's song "Cecilia" came on. One of my favorite songs. After I had her play it a few times she said you know that song sounds more like your history with cars than women! LOL. (She is wise beyond her years)

Anyway she said I think that is what I am going to name the Cobra: Cecilia. I have to admit it was pretty cool idea. So since I am the kind of guy whom does name his cars and the fact that I was in such pain Saturday I could hardly sleep...I worked on her signature.
    Cecilia.jpg
    Now I just have to decide where to put it. But I like it, she has sort of Ford oval to her autograph, wouldn't you say? LMAO!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

CoolCoolCool even if I am not really a Foval Guy!LOL Gary

Deuced Up!, loudbang and enloe like this.
  17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

"Cecilia, You're breakin' my Heart"

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I know you've move on to landscaping and all... but,

That driveshaft is RIDICULOUS! Fantastic too.

Now stop landscaping and get that car ready for the drags!:p

19. Got ya beat on the short shaft. Years ago I built a '56 F100 short bed 4X4 390, C-6 and divorced transfer case. The connection between the trans and transfer case was a 0 inch driveline. Essentially 2 U-joints and no shaft.
    When it comes to a short shaft, I'm your boy!

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Cheetahman

Cheetahman

pretty good story the cobra guys like to tell, BUT, he got the name from dreaming about the Crosley copper brazed engine block-

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  22. Cheetahman

Cheetahman

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where you been Cheetahman?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did Carroll Shelby Buy The Crosley “CoBra” Trademark For $1?
    By CHRIS DEMORRO DECEMBER 27, 2011

[​IMG]
    There are a great many legends and myths associated with American automobiles, and perhaps the greatest myth-maker of all was one Carroll Shelby.

The man who would go on to become a legend himself also came up with the legendary “Cobra,” a lightweight British sportscar with a powerful V8 under the hood.

The Cobra name itself has become synonymous with the car, but there has always been a question about where the name came from, and whether Shelby had to pay former automaker Crosley $1 to trademark the Cobra name.

The editors at Hemmings Auto Blog looked into this question and came up with some pretty definitive answers.

In 1946 Crosley licensed an engine designed by Lloyd M. Taylor that weighed just 133 pounds with all the accessories, including the flywheel. Built from copper-brazed steel stampings, the water-cooled, overhead camshaft engine was a great generator, but a poor automobile engine. It was officially called the CoBra (which stood for “Copper Brazed”) but by 1949 it was replaced by a cast-iron engine due to rust and overheating issues.

By 1952 Crosley Automobile went out of business, and though the engine patent passed through several other companies, none ever bothered to trademark the CoBra name again. American trademark protection expires after 10 years and 6 month, so when Shelby went ahead with the Cobra name in 1962, he didn’t have to pay anyone a penny, or so Hemmings says.

Does that mean that Shelby’s own legendary account of dreaming of the name “Cobra” is 100% true? Maybe, maybe not, though it is also true that Powell Crosley died just months before Shelby named his creation Cobra. Could this death have awakened memories of the Cobra name? That’s a story none of us will ever really know, but it does add to the Shelby legend, doesn’t it?

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You shouldn't of painted your expansion tank. :D

loudbang likes this.
  26. Cheetahman

Cheetahman

Hey Randal, I'm still out here, been busy building my own DragSnake, going to put a Hamb unfriendly motor in it over this winter, but to get it up and running I gots me a plain old vanilla 289 for the time being, i'll send you sum pichers soon, take care my friend

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finishing up the main wiring harness. Almost have the dash complete (photos later). Pretty hot around these parts. Came in last night after finally succumbing to the heat. Last year at the HAMB Drags, knowing we were not even close, they popped a 2018 tech sticker on the windshield at the hotel. I was looking at that decal yesterday and got to thinking what I really need is one from 1964!
    MOKAN.jpg
    So I designed myself one. Hopefully Carl won't mind! LOL

chryslerfan55, Sancho, enloe and 3 others like this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I need one for the poison Ivey dodge because it ran there since it was new lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Be interesting to see how many people remember seeing this car run in '64 and '65.