Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Hudson Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Dwardo

Dwardo

I'm going to stick my big nose in again. The 4.11 rear was actually an option on overdrive cars and standard on non-od cars, so it will surely pull that gear and then some. The second point is that you have the early (Hudson-built) rear end there and it will be OK if not abused but it's not something you want to spend much money on. The differential gears (not the ring and pinion) are way too delicate for the Hornet engine. They will stand up better behind a stickshift than a Hydramatic but they are not strong. Don't ask me how I know :) Sometime in '52 they changed the entire rear end and the later ones are very durable so you should look for one. The ratios are the same and 4.10 is probably most common. It is a straight bolt in as I recall. I changed one on the parking lot of my apartment building with a small set of Craftsman tools. That was when I was about 25 and had just learned about how easy it was to bust the rear. It was a particularly strong running Hornet with some hot rod parts and my Dad told me that if I kept driving it the way I did the rear end would fail. I didn't listen ...

I have a lot of seat time in stepdown Hudsons and I can say that a Hornet will easily cruise at 70-75. It is turning up some rpm and feels like it needs another gear but it will. The last one I had did many long trips with my heavy foot on it and didn't even use any oil (although it sure did like gas) but your engine is pretty worn so I can't recommend that at all. I'm just sayin.

If I ever get another one it will definitely have an modern automatic with overdrive. That would be a huge improvement.

I love your car and I love the fact that you are going just drive it the way it is, even more.

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You are lucky your Dad was smarter than your Uncle;)

3. Those plugs are fine, just need a little clean up.
    F2076548-02.jpg

B Bay Barn, Truck64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I just put them back in. I should adjust the idle.

Sent from my Trimline

5. flatford39

flatford39

You do have a wry sense of humor, sir...

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not really. I just did the math with an arbitrary tire diameter for his 4.56 with .70 OD and yours with straight 3.89. The results were close to his and your figures. The variance could easily be accounted for by my guesstimating tire size, combined with yours and his being a little different diameter from each other.

Estimated tire revs per mile 740 (28" dia.)
    740 x 4.56 = 3,374 x .70 = 2362
    740 x 3.89 = 2,878

Ray

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Even Jim's plugs are vintage.

They look good to me, and the color/tune looks decent enough on them for an old heap.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

I'll try to explain!
    Instagram is an option on the Menu at most eateries! You take a photo of your meal annoying all your fellow guests and post it on social media [so people that you don't know think you're living the high life]

9. If that's correct, that's not too bad at 60 mph. It would be great to run 65 without tearin' it up, so you could average a mile a minute.
    Jim seems to make pretty good time though..."Drive like hell..You'll get there"

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Still in San Francisco. Lombard Street. IMG_20190813_151655225.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

11. spanners

spanners

Are you gunna do the streets of San Francisco as in Bullitt?

12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Very Kool Jim,
    You are doin it man, lots of guys blow smoke, but you actually are on a major trip with the ole girl.
    Hope all goes well...

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Better take your hubcaps off first!

kiwijeff, Truck64, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Blew the ring & pinion in my bud Jack's '31 Plymouth P-A Coupe with 354 Chrysler/'50 Merc tranny on Lombard St., 1963.
    Chain-towed it home to San Jose 34 miles behind John Lyons' '60 Ranchero. On Highway 101!
    Two years later, I was hangin' in San Francisco. (not in hot rods...new bag... LOL)

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Gridlock IMG_20190813_164330404.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

18. pumpman

pumpman

I ‘m confused (as usual) is this part of the journey?

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Any Photoshop-ers out there?
    [​IMG]

20. squirrel

squirrel

Points IMG_20190813_074332954.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

21. Oh you gotta get a shot of the car at Twinpeaks. 2020 HAMB calendar material for sure! Jim how does the car feel and drive? is it quiet inside? For the majority of us who will never get behind the wheel of a Hudson....

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. pumpman

pumpman

Damn Squirrel that’s freaking crazy man. That’s NUTS but I guess that’s fitting. Give em hell.

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Make sure you pick up one of these.....
    images.jpg

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2019-8-13_21-16-14.png
    All in fun squirrel, we are enjoying the ride with you:D;)

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had an old timer buddy that the family had a scrap operation. They would roll the cars on their side and take out the undercarriage...he said they used to complain that the Hudsons would just right themselves. He started driving a Hudson because of that.....

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

You da man Jim !
    Go Hudson Hornet GO !!!

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Why? They put them selves back on in a few seconds:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Terrific ! :D

Ray

29. Latigo

Latigo

Thanks for the ride along!

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

The car has been working well today. I ignore any strange noises I hear, and just keep driving.

I've been traveling with the comrades who are driving the Yugo. They are going about my speed (relatively slow), they started with a lot of points, and they are not too concerned about getting every point they can--the are more concerned, like me, with finishing the trip. Two very different cars, but we're having a lot of fun.

Made it into Reno after midnight, missed the last several check points, which is not surprising.

Tomorrow's fun. I really only want to do one of the summits. Although it's possible I can get points for three of them, with a little fudging.

I need to put oil in the clutch in the morning. San francisco these days is pretty hard on a clutch, but maybe it always was. But I made it through....this old car is amazing

maybe if one of you is bored, you could plot the route on google maps that includes all of these stops, in the shortest distance.

day2.jpg