Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spare tire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33 cdan man, Aug 12, 2019.

1. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

How many here carry a spare tire in their car on road trips?

2. rosstom

rosstom

I have a spare tire in the trunk. I don't like the idea of leaving my car on the side of the road.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

sounds stupid but only if i am over 100 mile away from home or farther.

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

yea a cheap unilug rally wheel with the same tire as on the front. because I have a chevy bolt pattern on the front and ford on rear

5. Yes, I carry a spacesaver type spare. Have a rather large trunk to accomodate it, and a jack. Also, spare-tire-in-a-can.
    Sounds like I'm admitting I have a problem.

WB69 likes this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just showing your smarts ;)

7. I do, it's a bit bigger than the front and a bit smaller than the back and will get me to safety. It has a securing bolt under the cap. JW [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Where would I start!
    [​IMG]

9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I feel your pain. I have the same problem with one of mine. Always have something in case of emergency though. Spare or the spare tire in a can also.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. But for some reason it comes out of my trunk and onto other cars that have rolled with me.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always carry a spare on road trips. My best friend used to count on me for the spare if he had tire issues on his A roadster that had Chevy bolt pattern. I've got a skinny spare off one of the 84 Olds my dad used to have as my spare now but I need to find a new tire for it.
    [​IMG]
    I took the photo to show the wheel pattern gauge a few years ago. That thing slips in your hip pocket for trips to hunt wheels.

clem likes this.
  13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I have AAA. Last flat was in Texas Canyon (I-10, SE AZ). I did not feel like waiting for an AAA truck to drive out to the middle of nowhere, so I changed it myself.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I frequently drive 300 miles or more so yes of course

15. ALL my cars have spares and a way to put them on.....if you have it you’ll never need it. I also have used the temp spare tires, 1 in the Studebaker because of a tight fit and I have a stock wheel with temp tire in the ‘41 p/u because of the size. The rest are regular spares.

16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Spare on board.

1B84021A-E3D5-438A-B30E-A8A255BB376B.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG] upload_2019-8-13_21-8-42.png
    I took the spare tyre carrier off the tub

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Don't leave home without it.

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Everything but.

rockable and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. If I go in my wrecker it always has two spares. and tires to fit whatever im gonna drag home. or my dollies and I have spares for them also. I also carry a spark plug compresser and tire plugs.

21. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I always carry a spare. That is after I learned the hard way. * I forgot to mention, the flat was due to road debris, it destroyed the tire*

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I carry one in my 40, even added air to it recently, first time in 12 years. I had a little space saver spare in my 46 coupe that a friend gave me. He told me it was a Ford pattern and I never questioned it. When I sold the coupe I considered pulling the spare to use in my 40 but for some reason thought to check the lug pattern. It would have never fit. I don't know why I carry a spare since I haven't had a flat in many, many years.

23. I carry a spare that matches the front tires, so it will fit the back or front to get me home.

24. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I carry a spare but a 38 Chevy and the 53 Stude have adequate room to carry a spare and jack. The 38 has two different lug nut patterns so I carry a "fit all" rally wheel for a spare. In my life if I didn't have a spare I'd have a flat for sure:)

25. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

A big & a little.....that way you get to keep goin'

26. AV8 roadster, gas tank is in the front portion of the trunk, the trunk floor is raised for the stepped frame, my wife packs to cover every weather possibility.

I travel without a spare, and my fingers crossed.

warbird1 and pprather like this.
  27. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I have a few friends that don't and rely on AAA. I guess I'm not that brave.

28. Space saver spare here. While I have roadside assistance, a lot of the areas I drive don't have cel service and even if they did the wait for someone to turn up would be lonngg….

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steel belted radials are a lot more reliable than bias ply tires. Not saying it won't happen to someone, somewhere, eventually but I can't remember the last flat I had. I have two cars that don't have spares and I'm not adding one. Just drove 800 miles round trip in the Plymouth without one and will do it again.

30. 6sally6

6sally6

Nope! Never needed one in 15/20 years of driving it. Been to Dallas OK city Tulsa (twice) Jacksonville Ill. Houston Fla. Miss. Ala, Ga many many times all over SC. I do have AAA and fix-a-flat and a 9 mill.!
    6sally6
    I have a like new 91 with a spare that has never touched the ground. Wonder if it holds air?!:rolleyes: