Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Hudson Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. I've seen some crazy stuff fixed with JB Weld. A buddy had a Mercury outboard with a damaged prop shaft, badly grooved and the wiped out bearing killed the housing. JB Weld saved the shaft and even turned it on a lathe.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Seems like that car would pull 4.11's with the torque they have. What's the O/D ratio? Can you run 65 now?

3. Bill S

Bill S

When I was a teenager my dad had a Hudson 8 cylinder with overdrive. Remember driving from Calif to NY and back. That thing would realy go.
    In Newport Ca. a few years back there was a Hudson hard top. Man was that a nice car. Stock all the way.

4. squirrel

squirrel

It runs about 2500 at 60 in overdrive.

The engine is making a bit more noise than it used to. I changed the oil again, went a little heavier viscosity. I guess I'll see what happens.

I'm in Monterey.

Sent from my Trimline

1947knuck, dwollam, wicarnut and 15 others like this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I ran more RPM,back in the early 60s,but my buddy Rob n I were only going around a oval. Have fun !!! Hudson RobBean n DanaBarlow built an raced.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    1947knuck, Woogeroo, dwollam and 16 others like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

A guy near San Jose was selling some Hudson parts. I got a 4.11 pumpkin and a couple cam cores.

edit: got the picture to load finally

cams.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Parking lot swap from the 4:56's?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't have pullers, etc. So I'll do that swap at home. If I make it.

1947knuck, dwollam, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

Got one of my old "Motors" books out and it looks like you can do it without pulling the rear entirely out. There is an inspection cover on the ass end that probably gives you access to the internals but you do need to pull the axles. Just don't lose the shims.

It appears that sucker might have been open drive as well.

Not used to these "modern cars" that's for sure.

It's a good thing you left your pullers at home as I suspect you would try to do it.

10. Find a swanky hotel, pull up into the valet parking drive, identify your self as "Dr. Hudson" and see if the attendant will park the car for you. When he can't, or won't, tell him your not leaving until you can take a couple pictures of him standing next to the car. Email a copy to the hotel management. :D

11. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

. JB-Weld won't stand up to the heat, I used it to patch a muffler leak and once it gets hot it melts and stinks like hell!

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

.70 overdrive X 4.56 = 3.192 Taller tires are of course the 'poor man's overdrive', that would help.

13. squirrel

squirrel

taller tires are kind of expensive, not for the poor man!

1947knuck, dwollam, Boryca and 6 others like this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

It will hold up very well for a groove worn into a shaft caused by the seal. It works well for gluing in a chunk of the block knocked out by a broken rod

alanp561 likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not worried about the oil consumption, I can live with that. but if it loses a bearing, I'm in deep doo-doo.

1947knuck, dwollam, wicarnut and 11 others like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lets hope Tigger doesn't find...
    [​IMG]

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Ick, that might be the new noise you are talking about. Hopefully it's a tick and not a knock.

18. That is pretty high considering you have got OD. Mine with the 3.89 rear and no OD runs around 2800 at 60.

19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I had an Uncle that drive Hudson’s until he couldn’t get a newer one, then he switched to a used ‘57 Ford. He never was happy with the Fords after that. Being a kid, I didn’t get it. My Dad drove Chevies.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. What weight oil are you running? Maybe you can go to 15W-50 or 20W-50 to get through this. I had an OT V-6 Capri that was showing the oil pressure light at idle, would shut right off/engine would INSTANTLY stop rotating when the key was turned off. Eventually I did a bearing swap in the driveway with the engine still in the car, but 20W-50 allowed the car to live until I got to do it.

there's big debate regarding oils in OT Ford CV's....OEM recommendation is 5W-20, lots of guys insist 5W-30 is better for quiet long life, 5W-20 was only to get better EPA numbers, and then one guy told of a taxi fleet in NYC, used 15W-40 Rotella on all CV's and at 500,000 the engine bores were still showing cross hatch marks. FWIW.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Truck64 likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, Jim! A Dempsey Wilson cam! Some 'history' there.
    I see the recipient was an 'Elmer' something...I'm from Santa Clara, have known some 'Elmers'...:rolleyes: but not this one. :D

squirrel likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, can you imagine the look on the guys face down at Pep Boys when you ask for bearings for a Hudson.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, I just found this thread this morning and just read it all, great stuff as I've always enjoyed your posts, more so since last year when I got to meet you @ Atlanta Dragway for Drag Week.
    Now you add to it with an adventure in a Hudson:cool: I once owned a '53 Super Wasp, which was 2 carbs on a 262cid engine, and a dual range 4 speed
    Hydramatic trans.
    Used it as my DD for quite awhile way back when. Also had some friends who operated a ,shop here in town, 4 brothers all also involved with making, and hauling, shine liquor in a big way. They used quite a few Hornets in this part of their work. Those coupes had a damn big trunk:)
    Later on, in the late 50s, one of the brothers took a '53 coupe equipped with the hydramatic and installed a Cadillac OHV V8:cool: T hat was one fast road car:)
    Now if one of you young whippersnappers will explain what Instagram is and how to negotiate around on it, I'll follow Jim there also!!!!!!!!!!
    HEY I'M SERIOUS, I'M ALMOST 82 AND HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT INSTAGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

:)

58_plymouth_gasser.jpg

25. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

#fabuloushudsonhornet

Is already taken, have you decided on another Instagram account?

26. squirrel

squirrel

That is the hash tag I'm using for my car. My user name is jforb427

Sent from my Trimline

1947knuck, kiwijeff and hans mercman like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

Running kind of rough. Plugs look OK IMG_20190813_115119830.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

28. flatford39

flatford39

Interesting...the rings must be holding as they don't look full of oil. You do like to run on a budget don't you. I would have at least put a set of plugs and points in that thing before I left...but what do I know. You've been thru three of these things now.

29. /\ /\ Hahaha. :) That's why I love these threads. Go Squirrel, go.

hotrodharry2 and Nostrebor like this.
  30. BJR

BJR

So those plugs must have come with the car! :D