Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford-rear sump oil pan.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, Aug 12, 2019.

1. cammer8

cammer8

Bought a Ford rear sump oil pan for my 1934 pick up with a 302 engine. My question is how the oil gets from the front shallower sump to the deeper rear sump? How does this affect the amount of oil a valuable at the oil pick up? Any have a theory?

2. Not very well. The front sump is just to house the pump. The oil below the high hump seldom moves to the rear where the pick up is. That's why there is a drain plug in both sumps.

Truckdoctor Andy and fauj like this.
  3. Must work they used it on factory cars like the Bronco.My guess is the front fills,and overflows to the rear constantly.Use the full size oil filter if clearance allows,and keep the system full,and it should be fine.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

There is a specific oil pump pickup tube to go with the oil pan. If I remember correctly the oil pump is different too

5. It might be designed to hold enough quantity of oil in the smaller front sump to aid cooling (not sure if the pump is submerged??). If so, all the oil immediately flushing into the back might overheat said pump.??.

I'm not a mechanic but I am a wildass guesser. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. The pumps are all the same, but you do need the correct pickup for the pan you're using. If you're converting a front-sump motor to rear sump, you'll need a pan with a dipstick built-in. You'll also need the special main bearing cap bolt to support the pickup.

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Good catch I forgot about the special main bolt with a stud to attach the pickup tube to

8. Deuces

Deuces

Same with the Ford Fox cars with a.... 302

Hnstray and deathrowdave like this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I welded a piece of pipe from the lower edge of the front sump to drain into the rear sump.

irishsteve likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There are millions of miles and hours on Crown Vic Police Interceptors , that ran a 5.0 years ago without one issue . Nothing is needed other than the correct parts for the swap .

Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

gross over kill! :D

Deuces likes this.
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well, I appreciate you opinion, and thanks for that, but the front drain plug was right over a crossmember, so it was not gross or overkill.

Legends47 and Hnstray like this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Necessity!

Deuces likes this.
  14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That rear sump setup also was on a few vans, from 1968 into the '90's.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"The Devil Is In The Details"........the 'why' is as important as the 'is'.......;)

Ray

Deuces likes this.