Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 11, 2019.

1. I was at the gas station the other day and this guy likes my car and asks, "What's it worth!"
    I told him, "I don't know!"
    He says, "Well how much you want for it?"
    I say, "It's not for sale!"
    He asks, "Well how much would you take for it if it was for sale?"
    I said, "I don't know, it's not for sale!"
    With a puzzled look on his face he asks, "You don't know how much you'd take for it?"
    I said, "No, it's not for sale, you'll have to ask my son after I'm gone."

End of conversation... :)

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve had to part with a few because of some bill that I needed the money for, or thought that I did. I found out that most bills can wait a while longer, even Uncle Sam will set you up a payment plan. It took me too long to accumulate what I have now, it will take a life or death situation for me to sell anything I don’t really want to sell.

dirty old man, clem and deathrowdave like this.
  3. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Would she settle for a condo in the Caymans?:rolleyes::)

4. trollst

trollst

You've all seen my 36, posted a couple pages back, it was my first full on build, from a fire truck, I only bought the fenders, and at the time, they weren't worth buying, but help from an old friend got them into shape. I made everything else, and thankfully I nailed the look.
    When it was fresh, I was offered 40 grand for it, and turned it down after some advice from my best friend, and two months ago, I was offered 60 grand after an idle conversation with a stranger about the truck's history and all its battle scars. The same advice came to mind, it went like this......you can always get money, thats easy, but you'll never see that truck again.....I still have the truck, it'll be my daughters one day.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have heard FORD stands for FUNKY OLD ROTTEN DOG What do you have to say " The Prince of Canonsburg, PA" ?

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I cannot with good conscious belittle Fords as I do own one right now, and have owned others in the past. When i sold the Fords, I included a tool kit and instructions on how to join AAA.

phelan9251, Blue One, clem and 8 others like this.
  7. guy1unico

guy1unico

Some guy on here said if you cant eat it sell it....there is always another. I understand your position as a "want to keep it forever guy". ...although if the price was right I would probably sell.

wicarnut likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have been asked is it for sale ? through the years and at the time I was not thinking about selling, So my answer was No/Not really, but ask me next year, then the "buyer" usually states, name your price, my reply was always a 2X value number to which reply is, it's not worth that, my reply, it's not for sale. I will say, I like my cars, it's my hobby, but in reality I would sell any/all for stupid money as I've been an Entrepreneur, self employed businessman all my life, so logic/business brain overpowers passion. My only car passion that overruled logic was my 21+ years in open wheel racing that became an obsession that any form of logic/business sense does not apply. Memories/Priceless.

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have a friend that built an old Chevy and had $7500.00 cash in it and a ton of talent. He and his wife took it to a Pamona car show . They sat in lawn chairs visiting with others and enjoying the other cars there as they passed by. A guy came up to them and made a good offer. My friend said no I built it the way I wanted it and would just have to do it the same again. The guy kept coming back all day raising the offer. When the guy got to $85000.00 my freind turned to his wife and said what the hell am I doing ? I can build several for that. He said honey, were flying home.

54delray, Thor1, Pinstriper40 and 7 others like this.
  10. Are you sure the comma is in the right place, your saying he had $7,500.00 invested and sold it for $85,000.00.

That's a $77,500.00 profit! :eek: HRP

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. All the old cars are in the garage, but at local shows the old 33 would get an offer every now and then. I usually tell them that if they can get over the huge sentimental value i place on the pickup then i might let it go. No one has come close yet.

Though as mentioned before with the "flavor of the month" stuff, my o/t 68 Camaro SS/RS has been getting a lot of offers/ what would you value that car? lately as the muscle cars are still pretty hot. I know realistically what its value is, but for me to part with that car someone is buying me a nice house with a big shop on a good plot of land.

54delray likes this.
  12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Nobody asks if my junk is for sale......:(

bobss396, Andy, vtx1800 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ever notice if the car you have is for sale no one ask about it? :confused: HRP

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

When I was selling my '40 Coupe, I had similar situations. I knew that I had to find the right person for my car. It was very individualized. In all my 50+ years of hotrods and shows, I've never seen one done like mine. That made it a little more difficult to find the right buyer. I was parked at the store when a guy ab Chevy Front 9_17.jpg out my age, came up and asked all types of questions about the car. After 20 minutes or so, he gave me his card and said if you ever want to sell it, give me a call. After many conversations with my wife and dickering back and forth on price, we struck a mutual agreement.
    I was ready to sell, I thought, until it was leaving the driveway. Then I thought, WTF!

54delray, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  15. The last AD truck I had on the road...drove it 10 miles to the local old truck show in the fall of 2017...put a for sale sign on it for $7500.00 and 45 minutes later I have an offer for $6500.00 and I took it...I never get attached to vehicles...they are just vehicles...the guy was happy with it too...saw the fellow at the next years' event and he was still happy with it...so it was a win-win deal....
    MikeC

47ragtop and Thor1 like this.
  16. Terraizer

Terraizer

I don't mind people asking if its for sale, just can't stand the ones that ask about, say name your price and you tell them it's not really for sale but I would let it go for this amount, they then say that's to much, then they start picking out all the issues and bad mouthing it. Just went through this with my 1965 daily driver, 2 hours of my life I won't get back.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This. 100%.

18. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

When I get a car I want then it's not for sale---period. I have bought cars and parts I really didn't want or need because the people really needed money. One was a 55 Cameo that had a 235 with the head pulled for so long the pistons were all stuck that was also completely covers with latex house paint (owner was a painter). He needed $250 which I gave him and he handed me the title. A customer that witnessed the transaction asked if I wanted to double my money so I handed him the title. Another was a fired airline pilot had three AD trucks for sale for $1200 so I handed over the cash. As I was leaving with the first on on a trailer he told me to stop by an old Pontiac because it had some parts in the trunk. The parts included the three carb side draft intake with air cleaners and the cast iron headers for a 54 Vette. Stopped by the Corvette shop and sold the Vette stuff for $1300. Later found out the Vette stuff was worth much more but figured I had three AD 5w pickups plus a $100 for moving expenses so I guess both the seller and buyer were smiling.

Thor1 and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I have been on both sides of the fence. I have asked and bought several good projects over the years and have also heard its not for sale which I can respect. I have said many times its not for sale with mine and also have pulled out some outrageous price from where monkeys fly out of only to have some guy with more money than brains pay it. I sold a really nice 60 Impala coupe with a sweet 327 about 20 years ago by slinging out what I thought was way too much only to watch the guy pay it in cash right on the spot.
    Due to medical issues and the loss of relatives I am only down to one project car and its not for sale. I get
    asked about it all the time and since I can't fine a parts car or affordable parts for it I won't sell it. One day I will stumble on what I need for it and if I sell it then I have to start over again.
    Any more its too hard to find a good deal on a new project due to the now heavily broadcast auctions and questionable TV not-reality-but-fake-reality shows have caused: make everyone think their crap is priceless.
    My biggest issue is when someone says its for sale and can't put a price on it. If you age going to sell it at least have the round fuzzy ones to put a price on it.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I got my coupe the “hard way”. I still miss my dad to this day. What do you think its worth?

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

The older we get the closer we are to "everything's for sale", the only question is who gets to set the price, us, or the people still walkin and talkin..

Joemama and wicarnut like this.
  22. "The goal in life shouldn't be to own all the toys in the world, but to be able to play with all of them at least once"

~~~Random old dude from American Pickers~~~

23. carbking

carbking

"Do you want to sell it" is a fair question.
    "No" is a fair answer.

End of conversation.

Respect for each other should be paramount.

Seemingly in a different lifetime, I observed an elderly lady emerge from a 1964 GTO. I approached her and told her "beautiful car, would it be for sale?" She said "not now, her husband bought it for her new, and it was her daily driver". I then gave her a card with my name, telephone number, and the word GTO on it and asked if she ever did consider selling to give me a call. 8 years later, I got a call from her son, who was the executor of her estate; and I bought the car.

Jon.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  24. fordflambe

fordflambe

Lessons learned..........I made the mistake of insulting an inquisitor one day by telling him "you dont have enough money", after he asked me to price my 31' Chevy. Probably would have been much kinder for me to say "it's not for sale".

dirty old man and exterminator like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Always! If I don't want to sell one, everybody wants it, if I do want to sell, I can't give it away!

26. jazz1

jazz1

I’ll sell anything. It’s a tin inanimate object. Daughter put ad up for me to sell a car I’d had 22 years. Holy crap, who’d pay that money. Sold on eBay in a hour. Money talks. There’s 1000’s of the same model out there

27. I go to local show's & see a lot of my Friend's there & 1 friend of mine
    Play's games & tells people that my Merc is for sale,
    I have had guys Felling my car up, its painted Flat Black
    and I ask them what their Doing they are looking for Dents
    and I say Why, because they want to Buy it
    I tell them its Not for Sale & if the give me a Argument
    I tell the the Price is 1.5 Million that will make go away!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  28. I can't get the Jay Leno quote out of my head:

"YOU MEAN YOU'LL TAKE THIS WRINKLY GREEN STUFF FOR THAT SHINY THING?" DEAL!

I can't get rid of my shiny things....

G-son likes this.
  29. Packrat likes this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Gentle, Ben... Did you see the bear???

firstinsteele likes this.