Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving the Kookie Kar back to 1958

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2018.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Stogy and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

A brush is a lot easier on the new puppy. Bob :)

3. I thought I was going to get a bald joke.:rolleyes:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This is Franco’s R&C Kookie Klone Kover Kar. ;).
    There are some differences, but for 33+ yrs it’s stayed as he built it, Norm loved it and I think John still owns it. B563DBA7-7490-4FA0-A518-1548EDFB9DB6.jpeg

40two, Stogy, Hamtown Al and 6 others like this.
  5. An August 8th update from Roy Brizio Street Rods ...

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (99).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (100).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (101).jpg
    images by Charlie & Tammy Souza

6. Looks sooooooooooo good Team Brizio

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HEMI32, brad2v and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Stunningly Normie Poo!!!!!

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks so much better now,I can not believe how ugly Jim Street made it look.

9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yes it's beautiful but I've got a stupid question. Where's the starter button that was on the far left side of the dash?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. RodStRace

RodStRace

I was looking for images of the car, and while nothing jumped out at me as new and great, I did find this one, which has been posted on the HAMB before.
    What caught my eye is it looks like a clear cover over the plate (check the reflection). It also has a different head in back (the later Tiki one?) so it may be something added later than the restored time point.
    Slicks too.
    I am NOT critiquing these great guys or their work. I'm sure they have researched this thing to absolutely crazy levels. Just something I noticed in the pic.
    [​IMG]

11. @RodStRace -

Just an FYI ...

The topic of the skull vs. head shift knob and the skull vs. head hanging below the rear spring has been discussed ad nauseum earlier in this thread ... in a nutshell, Norm's T-Bucket appeared in a movie and/or TV show(s) with the skull shift knob and the skull hanging under the leaf spring ... but the producers of the 77 Sunset Strip television show thought them inappropriate, so they were changed to the "woman's head" for the rest of the Kookie Kar's appearances on 77 Sunset Strip.

NOTE: Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton (of Roy Brizio Street Rods) handled a great deal of the car's restoration ... and has stated (earlier in this thread) that the car came with two skulls ... one for the shifter and one under the bed.

12. Norm was a very interesting fellow. I think it was in 1966 0r 67 I took a SCUBA diving class in La Crescenta, CA. He was in the class. I drove my 21 T touring to the class on night and we spent some time after class talking about the folks we had in common. The next night he drove up in a Corvair powered motorcycle. He was a riot

13. Driver50x, Paul, Torkwrench and 18 others like this.
  14. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I was talking with Roy about Edd Byrnes re-uniting with the car at Pebble Beach I mentioned how pleased we were that he was restoring it back to the way it was 60 years ago scars and all. He said most of the car parts are original. He got into rebuilding the original engine. "When we had the block inspected we were told it couldn't be used because the cylinders were so rusted they couldn't take a bore and clean up. Fine I said. Sleeve all 8 cylinders" That drive Roy is seen in is with the original engine.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

WOW!! How cool is that.

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

Here are the "unofficial" episodes the Kookie Kar was seen in 77 Sunset Strip. I still have them taped so disregard previous info I posted which was done from notes I took. This info is from my taped episodes :
    Season 1 Episode 32; Season 2 Episode 2; Season 2 Episode 6; Season 2 Episode 7; & Season 2 Episode 13. METV is presently up to season 2 episode 34 and Byrnes has not been in any episodes since S2 Ep.13
    It is doubtful the Kookie Kar will be in any of the upcoming episodes. Byrnes left the show in a dispute over money and role after the S2 Ep, 13 and was absent for 16 weeks. After his return he had a more active role as a detective rather than a cool hippie.
    I took time to look at this entire thread again and it is just awesome. I wish I could be at Pebble Beach but will be at another epic event instead. My wife and I will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary August 16th. Some of you will remember Woodstock was going strong that weekend. No, we were not there 50 years ago but will celebrate our 50th on that hallowed ground in Bethel N.Y. as they celebrate their 50th Woodstock anniversary with original performers Arlo Guthrie; Edgar Winter; Santana; Blood, Sweat & Tears; John Fogerty and special guest Ringo Starr. We are really looking forward to the double celebration.

17. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Was cleaning out and giving away some of my old magazines today and stumbled on this!
    Thought of this thread! 20190811_195920.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stanlow69, brad2v, Torkwrench and 8 others like this.
  18. doc5356

doc5356

Frank,
    Congrats on the milestones.
    Enjoy.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I will never forget the first time I saw Kookies' T on tv. This brings back plenty of memories and thanks to every one that post on this hotrod...……..

dana barlow likes this.
  20. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

The stories I have heard about the skulls were that they were removed during the tv show ( too violent) and the tiki became the shifter. When we got the car it had 2 skulls one on the back one has the shifter From looking at all the different stages and changes that Norm made along the way , we stuck to one era of the build.(no plastic on the plate, different stripes on the rearend, keyed ignition and skulls) but I did build both style tailpipes for the car. the gas cap location was also moved to several areas.

brad2v, HEMI32, RodStRace and 6 others like this.
  21. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Frank there is a guy on ETSY who sells peace sign necklaces that he made from supposedly the original cyclone fence at woodstock comes with a COA might be a fun gift I think only 30.00

Stogy, dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reasoning and history behind it all and many compliments to You and the Brizio Team and all others involved in this iconic restoration...an extended thanks to you and the others for sharing it and continued updates.

@Jive Bomber thank you for setting the base for this most interesting thread as well...;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    brad2v, HEMI32, RodStRace and 2 others like this.
  23. Here’s a neat shot from Eric Geiserts IG page of “Uncle Roy” test driving the Kookie T. I wish I was at Pebble Beach this weekend. Looking at the list of cars entered in the Hot Rod cover car class, the Kookie T is a hands down winner on all levels.
    IMG_6263.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

catdad49, Stogy, brad2v and 13 others like this.
  24. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks, I will check into that. Woodstock 50 was simply amazing and my favorite part was original performer Edgar Winter's 20 minute rendition of his classic song "Frankenstein". The energy it takes for a 72 year man to pull that off is remarkable. Now I look forward to seeing Pebble Beach coverage.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Almost out the door, will be looking at the car within 2 hours, will post photos Tuesday when I get home. GREAT CAR WEEK! Bob

26. Heres some pics of the Kookie Kar at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (Sunday, August 18th):

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - setup.jpg
    early morning setup in the “Historic Hot Rod Cover Cars” class display area
    image by Dan Aguirre

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - Darryl, Roy, & Ross.jpg
    Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck, Roy Brizio, & Ross Myers pose with the Kookie Kar
    image by Terri @Born a HotRodGal Brizio-Hollenbeck

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance -by unknown photographer.jpg
    photographer unknown

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - by Terri Hollenbeck (2).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - by Terri Hollenbeck (4).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - by Terri Hollenbeck (3).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - by Terri Hollenbeck (5).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - by Terri Hollenbeck (1).jpg
    images by Terri @Born a HotRodGal Brizio-Hollenbeck

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    CGkidd, Bowtie Coupe, 40two and 21 others like this.
  27. frank spittle

frank spittle

28. Kookie Kar takes 1st in Class! ...

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (1).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (2).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (3).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (4).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (5).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (6).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (7).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (8).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (9).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (10).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (11).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (12).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (13).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (14).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (15).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (16).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (17).PNG
    Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (18).PNG
    images are still captures from the
    69th Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance YouTube Live feed

Kookie Kar @ 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1st in Class (by Dan Aguirre).jpg
    Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck posing next to Ross & Beth Myers in the Kookie Kar
    image by Dan Aguirre

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  29. jim snow

jim snow

Congrats to all involved. Snowman

30. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

So freaking awesome