Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What’s going on with this bodywork?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HeloCrewChief, Aug 12, 2019.

1. HeloCrewChief

HeloCrewChief
    from 253 Tacoma

I’ve been on the hunt for a 1961 Cadillac Coupe Deville for 2 years. I just can’t seem to find a good one. I’d prefer something original and solid. I found this one and seemed like a great starting point. However, the owner mentioned some bondo and what he though was an old repair on the driver side quarter. I asked him to send better pictures of this area since the car is 5 hours away. The bondo has cracked and started falling off on top of the quarter by the C pillar. The bondo has also fallen off below the tailight. Do you think this car has had a quarter replaced on it and then bondo over the welded seams? It just seems odd for a car with this level of weathering on the paint would have a quarter replaced. It had to have been done 49-50 years ago. I just didn’t think they would go through the trouble to replace a quarter on something back then. The area below the tailight seems to be a welded seam? So, do you guys think it’s had a quarter slapped on with bondo over the seam it was welded on? Is this worth messing with or keep looking for a better one? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

looks like it was replaced,is it bronze weld?,if so it has had some work done to it.Lots of cars back in the day had 1/4s put on them,whats the bottom of it look like,also how is the floor and trunk.I would definetly see it in person before i bought it,take someone with you if you go,find someone who knows bodywork. Good Luck

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ERguitar

ERguitar

I think the answer you are going to get is "it depends" in regards to whether you should keep looking. What are your plans? Condition of the rest of the car? Price? A little ancient bondo wouldn't bother me much if it looked like it was used appropriately and the rest of the car fit in with my plans.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Call on these. Sound like Coupe De'villes. Been looking for two years, may as well keep looking.

Unless experienced with sheetmetal work, that /\ /\ one looks alot more expensive than its purchase price.

Screenshot_20190812-062100_Chrome.jpg

P.S. There are some really nice Coupe De'villes in Hemmings this month, if your budget is a bit higher in stratosphere.

5. first off, you or someone with restoration experience, needs to see it in person. the answer depends on what the rest of the car looks like and what you expect from the car when done. if the rest of the paint is wore out [I suspect it is] and you wanted to strip it and repaint the whole thing, that spot could be a good indicator. if that is the only "damage" visible and the rest looks solid, I would bet that is the worst thing you will find once stripped. once stripped most [almost all] factory seams, including leaded, need some work anyway. studying those photos alone I would bet there will be a few pin holes after blasting. I would like to see more photos to check the quarter alignment. new quarters are not a deal breaker if they are installed correctly . in the rusty north east here, we give quarter panels as Christmas gifts. the inside of the quarter will need to be seen. lastly; you or someone with restoration experience, needs to see it in person before buying it.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Fifty years ago (1969) the Caddy would have been eight years old. I don’t think it is at all unlikely that someone would hang a new quarter panel on a nice Caddy Coupe Deville. Given the complex shapes of that quarter, a new skin would have been easier than straightening one with even moderate damage.

In any case, I agree with most other posts here about personally inspecting the car. A “5 hour trip”.......pftttt. Go look at it....or not.

Ray

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If it was replaced with a NEW panel, body shops often replace panels with used, especially if the vehicle has a few years on it.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Don't be absurd. They were replacing quarter panels in the 1940s and 1940 was 78years ago

olscrounger likes this.
  9. You realize that to do the car correctly you will need to sandblast the entire car, then and only then will you know what you have to work with. HRP

10. this car looks to need a lot of front fender work. bottom looks like a bad patch. 00Z0Z_cfWTQ6DP5ba_600x450.jpg a couple of side swipes and some rust on the rear quarter.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

To me (if you buy the car) the biggest question is----Are you going to do the body work involved (and trust me, theres a lot of body work involved) or are you going to have someone else do it? If your paying someone else----You might want to find something in better shape. Bill

12. 6sally6

6sally6

I THINK........the big-money-replacement-stuff is the chrome/ss trim! Something that old having all the 'pieces' is very important. If its all there and looks good......you're over half way there getting your dream car.
    If you find one in perfect condition (they're out there) you will pay primo for it..........because its worth it.
    Anything less and you will need to put some time and money in it.(probably a lot of both!)
    6sally6