Register now to get rid of these ads!

35-36 Ford owners - How to hide holes after removing Spare Tire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Geesh DirtyDan that looks great man. I might be doing the very same thing after seeing that. Car looks incredible and I am jealous!

2. Looks nice and clean Dan.

3. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Thanks!

The best part is that if I want to put the spare back on it, I can. It is just two small holes on each side of the existing top mounting bolt hole. If the bracket for the spare is re-installed it will cover up these holes.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That looks great Dan.

5. Fuck! That car pretty much rules.

6. Going to do the same to my wife's '36.
    I've already got the shortened bumper irons on the bench and I'm ready to make the change. I've been looking at that same bump on the back for about 16 years......time for a change.

7. When you reach the point of welding the holes closed, do you leave the inside brace there for additional support, or loose it?
    I've seen many where they've been closed up but in certain light a ghost of the holes still show up.
    It appears to be more of a challenge than I realized to get those holes to totally go away.

Is it more in the prep or does the problem lie in body and floor flex?

I'm not at the point of doing body work as guys mentioned earlier in this thread so plugs or a plate frame and light would work fine temporarily 'till money allows the full- Monty job.

Whats the right approach?

8. fonti

fonti

wow...ANOTHER great thread.
    I drive my 36 with the spare tyre - ok, I kinda like the look but the main reason was because I did not want to repaint the car and had no idea what to do with the holes!!
    thank you guys, you roule!!

9. Button head screws. Either stainless or black the blacks would blend in better.

10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Another update... After removing the spare, the bumper stuck out WAY too far, so I went ahead and ordered the shorter bumper brackets from Rock Valley. They made a big difference.

Here's some before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mitch 36 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, much better with the bumper being closer.

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That does look nice. I have a set of the shorter brackets for my car, but they have apparently been swallowed by the barn. Can't find them anywhere.

How much were the plain steel ones?

13. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

They were around $100. They are made by Rock Valley, but I ordered them through Midwest Early Ford Store.

14. Wow, I too am wondering this very thing, What to do with those 3 bolt holes? I tryed this approach, using a modified F.C. Holden number plate 'Mostache'. I dont know what to think. I too will bring in the rear bumper, I might even put on some Briz bumpers and a set of skirts.Any one know where I can get these parts?

Your coupe is looking good, real good DirtyDan!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Dan,

Can you share a pic of the bracket you fabbed. I'm looking to do something similar on my '36 5W.

Thanks,
    Jay

16. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Jay,
    I really did not fabricate anything. It was simply drilling 2 extra holes and covering up the factory holes with the Bob Drake bracket and plate.

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just made up some 'slugs' of the right diameter & thickness and welded them in.

18. bondolero

bondolero

19. JstKrzn36

JstKrzn36

Bob I would like the name and number of the fellow in Portland Please.

20. Check the "conversations" in your profile, I've sent you a private message.

21. BJR

BJR

Find an old light that has STOP in the lens and make a bracket that uses the holes left by the spare tire. Hook it up as a 3rd brake light, who knows it may save you from being rear ended.

22. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I found a really cool license light and holder on eBay! C9362785-DC6E-4B09-8F48-7072E5F7B60D.jpeg 9403B3BF-D7E7-49CB-A9DD-C42A28129F92.jpeg

23. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

B6E11078-F255-4230-881E-E225CB1600ED.jpeg 8B796629-E2A0-4129-B906-078E0FE6D40E.jpeg 01FD997F-1B16-4171-A177-F8E929F12180.jpeg A479DBA6-28E3-493B-B9EF-58A2987BF279.jpeg I know this is an old thread, but wanted to thank the Hamb for the info on doing this. Ordered the rock valley snug rear bumper brackets and a license plate light off eBay put plastic plugs in the stock holes with silicone even though the car leaks like a screen door in a submarine other places. https://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/catalog/bumper_braces_ford.pdf. No more catfish face on the back of Rusty. Also flipped the light upside down and painted the lens black to save some coin, and ditched the plate bracket. Wish I would have wired up the light before putting the shorty brackets on, not much room for some legs.

24. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods