Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 11, 2019.

1. We went to a local cruise in yesterday afternoon and after a few minutes decide to go on down the road to Cracker Barrel for dinner and let it cool off and then go back.

When we got ready to pay the cashier she rang it up and told be that would be $80.25, HUH? for two people? it took a few minutes but the manager straighten out the snafu and we walk out to the old beater, that's when I noticed a piece of paper under the windshield wiper with the "want to sell it?" and a phone number.

There was no one around and I told Brenda it's probably one of our friends messing with me but Brenda said the phone number wasn't familiar, so I just forgot about it and we went back to the cruise-in, we had been there about 30 minutes and a guy approaches me and ask if this was my car and do I want to sell it, he went on to say he left a note at Cracker Barrel and I told him I got it but the car is not for sale.

He pointed over to a new Charger and said put a price on it and money is no object, again I told him the car is not for sale.

I wanted a Deuce sedan since I was in my early 20's and have owned this car for 31 years, I have turned down a couple of very good offers in the past, my old sedan is a member of the family,just like the wagon, both are keepers. HRP

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Drive a decent old car... this is going to come up. Just don't price something you can't part with. I've accidentally parted with one, as my word is my bond.:confused:

Thor1, Hombre, BigO and 8 others like this.
  3. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Now days people think everything "has a price". Some things are worth far more than their monetary value.

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have had two friends who had people want to buy their car, they told them a stupid price and They said ok. people want to buy my stuff a bargain basement price

5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

^^. Like Bill said!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When the 56 was a so called "old beater" it happened a lot. Now, maybe once every two years. The answer is still no.

HOTRODPRIMER and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. trollst

trollst

gray.jpg Yup, about two months ago an idle conversation with a guy over my truck led to a shocking ridiculous offer. I politely said no, but wow....who knew?

8. Good looking pickup, the wheels are perfect. HRP

9. trollst

trollst

Thanks Danny, only took 20 years to finally buy them.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@trollst Sorry HotRod but I have to ask him. Do you have a back pic of your pick up? My girlfriends 32 pickup has extended bed behind the rear tire and tail gate as well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Back in the day, I had a 1972 Triumph, it had a crate engine from over seas, was a dual over head cam Toyota engine with two side draft four barrels and a 5 speed trans ... it ate up Triumph rear ends.
    So I bought a 1978 toyota for a parts car and was going to use the rear end in the Triumph.
    Sorry for off topic.

I will never forget the day, A guy stopped by and asked if the 1978 parts car was for sale.
    I said no ... then he went into a rant and insisted I needed to put a "NOT FOR SALE" sign on the windshield.
    This guy really believed I was in the wrong for not putting a sign on the window and wasted his time.
    Life goes on, in some cases it maybe should not?

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

13. It happens to me also, maybe one day they'll catch me in a vulnerable mood.
    I find it flattering, unless of course the offer is a ridiculous/insulting one.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Danny, I got an OT car in the garage that hasn't seen light of day for many moons. Owned it since '77. I run into people at different shops from back in the day, when I'm delivering parts. I get asked almost weekly, "Hey, you still got the_____?" "Wanna sell it?"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Had a guy come and buy a side delivery hay rake yesterday. He brought along a friend. the friend asked about the Pilot Hose Dodges we have. I let him look and shot him a price on the entire lot two complete trucks with titles (one runs) and a real good cab. He started picking out the best parts and asked how much. I quoted him a price $500 higher than the price for the complete lot. We really don't want to sell them anyway. And I told him when you want to play with my marbles and want the best ones it will cost you extra. Folks dont realize the days of the $500 project are over. All the $500 vehicles went to the scrapper back when it was high.

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's how I lost my '62 Bubbletop, and later a super clean, one owner El Camino. Damn week moments!!:mad::rolleyes:

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I noticed a lot more offers from entitled people after Counting Cars started. Everybody thinks they can just waive money at you and get what they want.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

selling will only lead to future regret......

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It’s absolutely true that some people think that if they offer you enough money they can get anything from you.

Next time a guy asks you that question Danny say sure I’ll sell it to you for $650,000. :D

I’m sure the money is no object tune would quickly change :D

norms30a, Hombre, jimgoetz and 5 others like this.
  20. Larry, my wife has a standard reply to the question when she is ask about the Ranch Wagon, A million dollar or a small island in the Caribbeans. :D HRP

21. trollst

trollst

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Same here...Last guy that 'jacked me up' asked what I'd take for my F100, ('55) I tell him it's not for sale.
    Him: "Hey, it needs paint and upholstery, and I bet that flathead's got way too many miles..."
    Me: "55s didn't have flatheads, and this one doesn't either. Still not for sale."
    Him: "Just get it? To fix it up?"
    Me: "Yeah, just got it, 1972. STILL not for sale."

54delray, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 10 others like this.
  23. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Last dude that wanted to buy my 52 GMC tried to argue my age when I said it was my first vehicle and I've had it 22 years. Got snippy with me and said I wasn't that old.

I hate it when people stop by my house just to try and buy something. My cars are obviously driven frequently.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

But the REAL pisser is the endless line of honyocks that ring the doorbell asking about my white '63-1/2 Galaxie fastback in the driveway.
    "How much for the 'Fairlane'?"
    "It's a Galaxie, and it's not for sale..."
    They want to argue. I don't. I've run out of patience with idiots long ago.
    Then...doorbell, some fat guy. "Wanna sell that old Ford out there?"
    "Nope."
    "Well, you're not gonna fix it up, it's too far gone. Let a guy who knows how have a crack at it." Now, I'm getting hot.
    "You must be the guy that's smarter than me. I've been waiting for you to show up..."
    The guy was smart. Smart enough to leave.

25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Some people just don't get it, you can't put a price on sentimental attachment...

26. I don't take offense, obviously they like what they see but I often wonder if some of these people see the older cars as a flavor of the month, like the guy last night driving a new Challenger. HRP

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the now and again question if my p/u is for sale. Tell them for what I would have to get for it they could buy a completely restored truck and have money left over. Besides if I did sell it, what would I drive to coffee in the morning or to Lowe's?

28. I see a lot of my fellow hambers rides that if I had unlimited funds I would make some stupid offers. HRP

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The best "Wanta sell it" deal I ever had was in about 1985 when I stopped to gas up the truck when I was hauling a 41 Ford coupe home that I had just paid $600 bucks for. A guy pulled in the station and jumped out like he was on fire. He looked that car over and started telling me how long he had looked for a 41. The car was pretty rusty with no engine or trans and gutted interior, once I had it on the trailer I was kinda sorry I bought it. He asked how much and I told him I just got it and wanted to get it home and look it over. He said he would give me $1.500.00 and another hundred if I would drop it at his house about 30 miles away, which was on my way home any way. I followed him home, he came out with the cash and he had a Ford. Money talks, BS walks!!

54delray, Thor1, R A Wrench and 22 others like this.
  30. vinfab

vinfab

I have a friend who says the problem with selling a Hot Rod is you exchange your ride for a pile of cash. Then you spend the cash and now you have neither the ride or the cash. I am far from rich, but I have enough cars, parts, and projects to last my lifetime. I have been offered what some people consider stupid money for my 62 Bubbletop, but at this point in my life, time is a more precious commodity than money.