Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I think I can fix that!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Hines, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I thought some people might enjoy looking at what I have been trying to save for the last year. The guy in the photo was the last owner. He bought the one on the ground in 1962. I was laying by a radio station in Emporia Ks. The top was chopped. He hauled it home and it sat in the trees for 50 years. Everyone tried to buy his stuff to save it, but he would never sell anything. Last spring a fire came through and burned up the place. It took down a barn that was in front of these two Model A's. (or more accurately what is left of two Model A's). I saw them and spent about a month talking to him about them. Got them bought. P5040020.JPG P5040020.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I decided to try to save the worst one. That chopped top just really got to me. And I figured, it was not ever going to be anything but gone, so off I went into this early ford adventure. I had never turned a wrench on anything built before 1956.

Attached Files:

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing what this becomes!

-Brent- and nunattax like this.
  4. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Some one had cut out the back of the car and made it into a pickup truck at some point. They cut the drip rail out around the trunk opening. The quarter panels were just flopping in the breeze trailering it home. Not much left.

Attached Files:

5. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Someone used a chisel and knocked and bent holes for a roll bar? Who knows.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I'll post some more next week. Going home for the weekend.

Outback, Okie Pete, Rich B. and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It actually doesn't look a whole lot worse than the 31 Vic I have sitting outside.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Stakes for the head board of the truck bed maybe?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Karma for you for saving those poor little cars. When you get it running, you have to take him for a ride.

-Abone.

-Brent-, Elcohaulic, sko_ford and 2 others like this.
  11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Good on you....subscribed.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I dig it. Like the chopped car. Good on you for bringing it back. I’m following along.

Cliff Ramsdell

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

glad your saving the cars , im glad im not the only one who drags things home that look like that or worse

loudbang likes this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

true patina priceless

loudbang likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

saving from the hoarders

MO54Frank, hans mercman and loudbang like this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929

Great job so far.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 392

The chop actually looks good from here. Nothing like bringing a old ride back to life. I’m subscribed

sko_ford and loudbang like this.
  18. Go man go! I doubt he would be very comfortable in either anyway.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  19. Mart

Mart

Cool. Subscribed.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Lookin sharpe . I see you wear a Tuxedo ( overalls) , same as me while workin also . I started at 19 and haven’t stopped , best damn thing in the world to work in and keep around . Easy to jump into and cover up when wearing short pants in the summer when welding , keeps my clothes clean on dirty jobs too .

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You found a way...congrats @Doug Hines have fun with it...great progress so far...;)

brady1929 likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave the fella in the Tuxedo is the seller of Model A not Hamber Hines...no bigs just sayin'...;)

brady1929 likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I see , well he is dressed to the nines , at my place

24. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks for all the nice comments. Ya, I just could not see any down side to trying to save it. After a year of working on it now I am pretty confident I will be able to save it. I guess that is when I decided I should post some pictures of it. I have always been turning wrenches, but fabrication have never been something I am good at. I have gotten a lot better over the last year. I am trying to built it just like what would have been done by a bunch of teenagers in the 50's. Which is good because my fabrication skills are about right there.

Stogy, Driver50x, Outback and 14 others like this.
  25. All it takes is common sense, fairly simple skills and vision. You’re doing great so far. I’ve saved more than one or two A coupes that some committed great harm. Often the hardest part is determining where the good ends and the bad starts.

26. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My hat is off to you( exposing my bald head) You are saving what a lot of guys would scrap. Don't put yourself down on your skills, looks like you know what you are doing to me. I wish I could do as good. Keep up the good work:cool:

catdad49 likes this.
  27. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Who ever made it into a truck built a wood box for it that had 2 x 6 wood planks on the outside lower sides of the box. That is why their are torch cut holes in the back side of the quarter panels. Yes perhaps the round holes in the top of the quarters had something to do with the wood box also. The other thing I cant figure out is why someone cut out the firewall and them came back and torch cut right through the middle of the gas tank and cowl panels? We will never know.

Attached Files:

28. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

The drivers side side cowl and "foot" at the bottom of the door frame were pretty gone and I was lucky enough to find some donor parts all ready cut out so I replaced them. I "fixed" the passenger side cowl. I was also fortunate to find a good original firewall. This picture is me channeling in 4".

Attached Files:

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good

30. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I dug this frame out of the mud. Didn't even know it was there until I started removing the cars. The frame rail with the vin number on it was good. Got a passenger side frame rail from a friend and started "Z" ing it. I kicked it up 6" in back and 4" in front because my "47 front end is 2" lower than a Model A, as I understand it. So it should set 6" lower on the suspension side and it is channeled 4" and chopped 4". I got a 46-48" Banjo from a guy.

Attached Files: