Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What solid axle to use on a 53 Ford Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Todd, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

Good morning. Say, I just purchased the complete front suspension from a 53 Ford F100 that already has the disc brake conversion and I am wondering, how much of the original cross member from the car do I need to remove? I have never done this before so I am treading very slowly.. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

3. It could be anywhere from none of it to all of it....

I assume you're planning on the 'gasser look'. What's generally done is cutting off the existing frame in front of the firewall then building new frame rails going forward. This opens up the engine compartment to allow easier engine swaps and/or headers. Here's a good example.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/56-ford-canned-monster.855675/page-9 … but doing this isn't a requirement. Figure out what you're planning on for a engine before making any decision.

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

Thankyou for the reply. I am putting in a 4.8 LS1 with a 4l60e transmission. I am by no means an expert at cutting off frames and making my own. Would it be possible to use the frame from the 53 mainline by just removing the stock suspension?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Poor old car....

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Dan!...you may want to rephrase your engine description as " LS" is not traditional and you may get deleted....and as far as the axle swap it's all in what you the car to look like. You may be able to swap a straight axle in without much frame surgery but it probably won't be very attractive...

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I used a 53 Ford front axle in my Morris Minor after I narrowed it to fit. I used a Vega Box for cross steering . You could use something other an ugly ass LS motor. If you are going to use a modern motor at least keep it Ford. Stay with a traditional motor.
    You are on the wrong site if you are going in that direction.
    The steering can be handled with bolt on arms from Speedway. The proper way would be to cut everything off at the firewall and start with box tubing. Leaving the spring pockets and all of the other stuff looks hokey and is just unneeded weight. If you are worried about how much to cut off then don't start. You will end up with a hacked up half finished car . Sorry if this hurts your feelings , but I would hate to see a nice car like that wasted.
    Where are you located ? Maybe somebody from this site can look at your car and give you some pointers.

deathrowdave likes this.
  8. My feelings exactly...another one lost.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Why are so many joiners reluctant to show their location?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Shy? Or think some one is going to steal what they got?

11. squirrel

squirrel

or don't know they can?

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would do a frame clip as crazy Steve mentioned..The cross member at the suspension is very bulky and plain in the way..

13. squirrel

squirrel

If you're going that route, study Mike Cox's 53 Ford....as seen on Drag Week. At least it has an older style Chevy motor in it.

cox02.jpg

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. That 4L60 is a big gear box. Once you decide how your going to hang an I Beam you may want to look into how to get the motor combo your headed for to actually go in the Hole provided. Poor ol car.

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

Sorry to piss you all off. Like I stated from the onset, I am 63 yrs. old, too old to fight, too young to die and I will attempt AND succeed anything I set my mind to doing. You may not like what I am doing to a poor old car but, it is my old car and I will do with it what I will. Iam installing a 54 F100 front beam/suspension with rearched springs,, adjustable coilover shocks ,2x4 nose to hang everything from, a toyota steering box connected via pitman arm. For power I am running a 2005 GM LS1 4.8L out of a 2wd pickup truck, a 4L60E transmission, and a narrowed and centered 98 Ford Explorer rearend with 3.73 gears. I installed a sbc 355 into a 78 Datsun 280Z running a 700R4 trans. so I am not worried about room in the 53.

low budget likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it and glad you are making something out of it.
    I would like to see you stick around but ya might not mention the stuff you are using thats later than 1965 too much and just carry on, sometimes it takes some thick skin around here (not as bad as it use to be:D)
    Sounds like you well know how to do stuff, we need guys like you to stick around, maybe you can learn something here, maybe we can learn something from you;)

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

Someone please tell me what " level" means when cutting off the frame for 2x4 tubing. Yes the tubing is level but what other place on the frame is level?

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s great that you are a fabricator deluxe, but this is a traditional hot rod and custom website. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but this is NOT the place to do it. Please go back and read Ryan’s post about the site. After that, you might understand better

Written on a rock with a sharp stick The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

You are absolutely correct. This is not the forum for what I am doing and I apologize

scotty t likes this.
  20. Hi Squirrel,
    I'm having trouble accessing info on Mike's Ford. I have a 57' Chevy that I'd like to Gasserize but can't bring myself to cutting the frame.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

21. Dan; Stick around, your not that far off and the early Gasser thing has a large community here. Seems there are way to many ideas what a traditional hot rod is on this board. There are also many that think "if your not doing it my way" your wrong. Well, they are wrong. There are some guide lines here but if you don't make the off topic part the center of your project you can still get a ton of support. My comment was related to just the space for your gear box in the room provided under the stock floor. That knowledge came from doing just what your headed for in my Avitar. I seldom ever talk about the drive train in it because it's not "traditional" to most here. Keeps them from Chipping there Teeth at me. I-We had no idea you actually knew what your getting into by reading your opening post. Further statements from you tells us you do and had already decided pretty much what and how your going to do things. I'm good with that. To me tradition has always been using the latest technology in something Old on the outside and making it something you want. I've been Barked at a lot for thinking like that. At 70+ I don't pay any attention to it. I hope you stick around and find how to fit in here and keep doing what you plan. I think you'll be fine. Just don't talk much about the L-S stuff and you'll be fine. Those that actually know F.I. talk in P.M's off the main board to keep the Old School guys in relax mode.

seb fontana likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Think hard on this. If not done right they can turn into an evil handling nightmare. I keep remembering in the 60s a real T bolt that the guy thought would be faster with a straight axle in less than a month the car was rolled and totaled.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  23. 327Eric

327Eric

Just say the engine is a 283.

24. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

Mr. Wizard. Thankyou for your words of wisdom. I do appreciate the help and I have no problem keeping "on topic". I now do understand what this forum is all about and will follow the rules. Again, thankyou and godspeed my brother in rods.

25. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

26. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

LOL, will do.

27. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

No, just worried ABOUT THE CRAZY SOB'S OUT THERE.......

28. Maybe It just me; but why does most everybody building a "gasser" use a truck axle instead of using a more appropriate tube axle?

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just saying I have never seen a car that this was a handling improvement and I've seen some you could not pay to ride in. Looks is not every thing unless it's yard art and not driven

30. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

Why not?