Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Using cars for advertisment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 10, 2019.

1. A fellow '54 Ford Club of America member posted this photo over on our website recently , The car was attached to the exterior of the building in downtown Huston, Texas, I'm told the building was taken down shortly after the photo was taken. HRP

[​IMG]

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This diner is in the country near me, the 55 Chevy belongs to a guy I know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS, ct1932ford and wicarnut like this.
  3. This one is inside a Montana's restaurant above the bar area. 48/49 mercury truck.

Attached Files:

4. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I use my dad's 56 Corvette for our shop advertising. From the mid 60's to the late 70's he used it as a shop "truck" for delivering starters and alternators.
    Mark "Jigger" @Jigger here on the HAMB did a fantastic job transforming it into our new logo.
    A group of great hot rod buddies and I spent the summer of 2013 every Saturday getting her back on the road. 20151017_085938.jpeg tapatalk_1526619730914.jpeg 452754556.jpeg 1517965007.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, belair, harpo1313 and 7 others like this.

5. butch27

butch27

Mine was used in an ad for Culver's burgers

dana barlow likes this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't have any pictures but for many years there was a mid 50's Lincoln on a post between Columbus and Lancaster, Ohio on US 33. It disappeared and I never heard what happened to it. I always wondered how in the world they got it up on that post when I was a kid:confused:

7. blackanblue

blackanblue

Is that the Montana's in Burlington Ont.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No where near the highway or any city 66 ran thru.
    [​IMG]
    Santa Clarita Ca.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG]Milwaukee Wisconsin. This business was owned by Dick Billings for 35/40 years, a good Midget Racer and his brother Dean, a very Good Midget Racer was running a quick change rear end business out of the basement until his accident in a Midget at Sun Prairie Wi, leaving Dean incapacitated, the UGLY side of racing. I raced with these guys, both drove for my Dad at different times, Good people/family I've known them, been friends with, sneaking up on 50 years now. The car on roof is a Champ dirt car that Dean owned and I never heard the story of how/why it ended up on roof, a Great visual landmark IMO.

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I don't have pics but in the late 60s at least "Truly Nolan" the termite exterminator used early 30s 4 door sedans placed on street corners in Tucson to advertise his company.
    The exteriors were fairly complete and somewhat straight and painted a lousy bright blue with only "Truly Nolan"
    in large yellow letters spread from end to end. They certainly attracted attention.
    I looked up their shop thinking I might gain part time work on the cars. Truth be known there was virtually no work other than a fast brush paint job done to them. I suppose they were acquired by the company at little to no cost at a time when they were nearly worthless. Even so he might have saved them from the crusher.

williebill likes this.
  11. There was the rear ends of 2 '59 Caddys joined together, mounted up on a post, in front of a used car yard here.

12. Fordors

Fordors

01C724E5-21BA-4D39-BF0F-9FA5BFD9B925.jpeg You said “cars” but so far I’ve only seen car, as in singular. This used to stand in the parking lot of a Berwyn, IL shopping center. Done by an artist for arts sake it no doubt brought attention to the near by stores as well.
    Credit to the artist, Dustin Shuler (RIP) who created the art called Spindle in 1989.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sorry, no pics, but in Bessemer AL, a 39 or 40 Ford Coupe dirt track jalopy on the roof of a closed auto shop.
    Hattiesburg MS, right off of I59, a small fuel stop beside a Krystal restaurant, Chevy AD pickup INSIDE suspended overhead from the ceiling, no motor or trans but looks like everything else is there.
    Tarrant City, AL, Hwy 79, a 60's funnycar in the front of a body shop.

14. My old Friend Glenn Dodd started Carolina Rod Shop in 1989 and used a vintage Browns Fiberglass '32 Roadster to bring attention to the business, the sign was located on I-85. HRP

CRS.jpg

dana barlow, ct1932ford and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,
    Truly Nolen was into cars for advertising in So Cal, too. He would have several busy intersections in Orange County littered with his Model A cars, sedans and later model 50's cars.
    upload_2019-8-10_16-20-38.png As we drove by those intersections near my wife's house in Buena Park and from those days of cruising Knotts Berry Farm., we always marveled at the quality of those old coupes and sedans.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-barbers-tub.1129551/#post-12846015

Jnaki
    As we were looking at all of the cars starting to get plastered with names of the drag racing companies on the side of their cars, it was the future for racing at Lions Dragstrip. The bigger the name on the side of the doors, the more they gave to the "kitty." Some were only small gold leaf names that gave a good deal on parts and components. But, it was all the same, advertising for discounts on products.

For the common hot rod guy, no one drove around the local drive-in scene with big names and lettering on their hot rods. Maybe a sticker or two in the windows, but not on the shiny paint jobs. At least they did not, in our Bixby Knolls area and time period. But, as the years rolled by, who knew, there were some pretty gaudy advertising on the sides of cars and vans.

Ron Funkhouser and ct1932ford like this.
  16. No this is in Regina, Saskatchewan.

17. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I done two, a 49 3100 that was briefly driven and then put on a slab in front of the man's real estate business. The other was done before I had a digital camera was a black 50 Ford 2dr with a dressed out to the max flattie, lakes pipes, fuzzy dice on the mirror, skirts, dual spot lights, everything 50's. Instructions were to have zero liquid of any kind and even dry bearings as it was being put in the man cave of a high dollar house before the walls were completed. I have 35mm slides but too dumb to know how to put on computer.

dan's 49 004.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and ct1932ford like this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This one says messy hotrod shop located just inside! image.jpg

19. One I saw advertising a garage near Charlotte N.C on my way to the Auto fair. 20180406_095611.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. Another no photo but back in the early 80's the late Paul Eskew cut up a a junk yard 1957 Cadillac 4 door to create a 2 door sign near the top of the building that had the entire front end on the front of the building on the drivers side of the car was on the side, like a "L" on the opposite side was a 1957 Chevy with the rear done the same way.

The restaurant was called "Breezes" and was a burger joint that the investors had planned to franchise the brand along with fiberglass car signs that Paul had made molds from the two cars he fabricated.

I'm still looking for photos.

The gentlemen had some disagreements and the plan's of the franchise fell through, the signage has been gone for years but the building still remains as a nail parlor. HRP

21. old-chevrolet-station-wagon-on-a-sign-pole.jpg

Pole dancer? HRP

22. How about the Cadillac over the bar at The Hard Rock Cafe in Maui.
    That bar & car taught me a new appreciation for Mai Tai's

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I also think of that white '56 Lincoln every time this subject comes up. It said "Bud Moore Lincoln-Mercury" on it, and stayed that way up into the late '80's, when it got painted red, and lettered up for AAMCO transmissions. It came down sometime in the mid '90's, when I was working for Davidson's in Columbus. For some reason, I think it may have been the property of Nauman Advertising by then. My dad told me that it was put up there when new, with the motor and transmission removed, and the dealership only lasted a very short while.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Shameless plug. I would be willing to letter my Morris Minor up with your business logo for some sponsor ship dollars. DSCF3542.JPG

25. This ones in Ferry County, Wa. HRP

auto_truck_museum_02.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  26. That restaurant is in Salem, Oregon. I stayed in a hotel just down the street from there when I have a car in the Salem Roadster Show. Neat place.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I know that place really well, lol. That is a 5ish min drive from CJ's house.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. That's in a town called Albermarle, my dad lives close by. The man that built it used to drive it in the July 4th and Christmas parades, shame its sat and rotted away for so long.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was in Lahaina, went there many years ago, long closed.
    Even then it cost $$$ for just burgers and drinks.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.