Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration C Notching a finished car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbrown, Aug 9, 2019.

1. gbrown

gbrown

Is it possible to c notch a car that is already basically finished? And not be that big of a pain in the butt?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My take is you would have to be a real hack to inflict any harm to body/paint unless you remove so much frame material that it alters body mounting points, kind of depends on the vehicle.
    A few precautions should be taken such as supporting the frame as near to the area (both sides of notch) being modified as well as both ends of car and reinforcing the area near the C-notch to compensate for material removed.
    The biggest concern would be the affect on door gaps/latching issues, stress cracks in paint could also surface down the road from insufficient frame reinforcement.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

what car ? what year ? pictures?

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The cars not finished if you C notching the frame. You will need to protect as much as possible and redo what you need too.
    I found your question some what humorous because its major surgery on a "finished" car.

David Gersic likes this.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 1st thing that comes to mind is exactly how much of a frame notch are you thinking about adding?

If the car is really finished, you need to be sure fuel and brake lines will not be in the altered area. Then I would be concerned about how much stuff is going to be in the way of making the frame modifications, working around exhaust, springs, and axles is what makes this kind of job hard. The next concern would be fire, what is going to burn when your trying to cut and weld the frame notches in? Then I'm going to be concerned about getting the weld area clean of paint and whatever else may be in the area, so you get a good weld.
    At this point there are more questions then answers. Much more info is needed. Gene

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

An old style small pipe notch no big deal. One of these new style giant "lay frame" kind of c notch is alot more cutting, fabbing, welding and grinding. It can be done on a finished car but would require alot more precautions as to not mess up your paint interior, glass etc.. More time, more work mo money $$$

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. gbrown

gbrown

To clarify. This is on a 1935 Sedan Slant Back. I am not wanting to lay frame. Basically right now what is happening when you hit a sudden pothole the rear end axle tube will hit the frame. I would like to put a small c notch in the back to give a bit more clearance for the rear end. Also I was thinking I would put a bump stop at top of the c notch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 34Phil

34Phil

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Edit to my previous post, the opening statement was in general terms, sorry.
    A "mild C" notch is very doable, get either a remnant or cut to your dimension piece of heavy wall (approx. 1/4"-5/16") tubing at your local metal yard, it could be anything from 4-6 inch diameter, cut to frame rail width, bevel for welding boxing plates to notch area, cut it in half and "squash" each half so the notch area is spread out in length, there is no standard length, whatever fits the space.
    This will make a stronger C -notch compared to just putting in a half round piece of tubing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  10. I would thing it's going to be a major PITA, cutting on finished paint is the least of the problems, getting in there to cut with something without the use of a torch, then you have to box the area.

Ever think about raising the rear up a tad or going with some heavier springs? HRP

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon