Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my ignition switch today. Its an early Harley Davidson ignition/ headlight switch. Now I have another manufacture thrown in the mix! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Have the switch mounted and a starter button mounted up under the dash. image.jpg image.jpg You can just see it peeking out from under the dash.

brEad, BigO, Tim_with_a_T and 4 others like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

One more gauge found and installed (thanks donald turpin here on the hamb)
    All three of my gauges are stewart warner built but no sw logo, I just need to find a matching h20 temp gauge. With out the logo. If anyone out there has one that doesnt have the logo I would take it off your hands. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Okie Pete, brEad, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg I went to a swap meet sunday and the only thing i found was an oil cap. My motor didnt have one on it so the fill tube has been taped up during the build. After cleaning up the cap it had four or five dents right in the center. I cusomized it with a 1950s grainbelt beer cap and some two part epoxy. I hope its not to r@t r&ddy!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Stogy likes this.
  6. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Screw the guys that worry about ratty, if it looks good to you (and me, haha) then it's just right.

Some of the stuff on those rat rods, although often poorly executed, is pretty darned ingenious and worth some pondering.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks a little like a Von Dutch Eyeball...:D

Jet96 likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I figured i would get radiator hoses in line so I made up a chicken wire and masking tape model I then took that to my local parts store and after a few hours of matching hoses to my model nothing was working so now its plan B build a metal one and put rubber ends on it. Probably look better anyway! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ah plan b was successful. Fould a tight rubber 90* bend to the radiator and a straight piece to the pump.Welded some dots on the metal pipe for the hose clame to seat against. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

10. atch

atch

I like that a lot.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Good spot to tape your frozen burritos to. Hot pocket style, for road munchies.

12. Looks like it just grew there. Perfect.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hey great idea! Mmmmm burritos!!

14. atch

atch

Hey, folks, let's take a 10 second break from this very cool build and then get right back to it. At many shows Bonneville, Frog Follies, Nats, etc., I've ordered way more than I could eat for supper and then reheat the leftovers on my intake manifold for lunch at the show the next day. Suggest you try it sometime. Who else will be eating Buffalo Shrimp or ribeye/baked tater or whatever for lunch at the show your at???

Now back to rusty rocket please.

Jet96, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have my throttle linkage/cable put together. My motor came out of a cube van so it didnt have linkage that would work. The guy I bought my transmission from had loads of old dodge parts so I was able to score a 47 dodge bell crank assembly. After a bit of tweaking I think I have it set up. It is funtion over form for sure. image.jpg image.jpg

Okie Pete, Jet96, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  16. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Looks just right to me. I'm all about that form follows function stuff, anyway. Only thing I would suggest is maybe a small return spring on the throttle arm of the carb itself. I can't tell from the picture if yours will, but mine will open from gravity if the ball and socket joint on the pushrod fails. Yours might close by gravity though, so I might be wasting your time.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'll have to look at that, although the spring set up is close to the way dodge did it originally.

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So I was kicking around the idea of using the chevy pickup parking light as a brake light but didn't have a lens. So a few weeks ago on the hamb parts for sale theres a chevy pickup fender with the head and parking light and the lens. So i look at whos selling it and its rusty1 long story short i got the steering wheel for the project from rusty1. I sent him a pm to see if he would part with just the lens and he says it will be in the mail you pay me what you think is worth. Ill tell ya there are some damn good people on this board. Thanks Sam there will be something in your mail box soon!

Okie Pete, Frankie47, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  19. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

I agree. I've had some real good experiences with the classifieds here. I still like the way that light looks.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. ...so glad to help contribute to a cool project...

Stogy, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Last week I went to our local gas and steam threshing bee and found two lenses for my farm-all head lights. I was going to put a sealed beam in them but I think the lenses look funky. Long story short I ordered a pair of new reflectors and gaskets and when they showed up the reflectors were to big(dont know if I ordered them wrong of they sent me the wrong ones) anyways i broke out the cutoff wheel and made them fit. Probably would have cost me more to ship them back then the parts are worth. image.jpg One down one more to cut.

Stogy, brEad, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  22. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

FREE!!!! 99 Best kind of deal!

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not very much progress this summer but theres a nip in the air today so I thought Id head down to the shop.
    20 plus years ago I was in an accident that broke both ankles which resulted in having them both fused together so I now have limited movement up and down and no movement side to side. Sitting in the car and pushing the gas pedal down proved to be a problem. My solution to make it more comfortable to run the throttle was to build a riser to put my heal on. This is what I ended up with. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  24. Well now, that ought to be a big help. Nice work Rusty.

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Been thinking about punching some louvers in the hood for awhile. A buddy of mine has a louver press so I laid out a few lines and we poked a few holes today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, that looks great!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Money shots @rusty rocket...;)

I can imagine the smile on your face...

So...question, is that paint on the inside of the hood or a layer of oil to aid in punching?

If paint was it to aid in layout?

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yep, I sprayed a coat of paint so I could scribe a layout line. A scribed line is thinner and more accurate than a sharpie line.

chryslerfan55, plym_46 and Stogy like this.
  29. <man, I really like the louvers, as well as the whole project...

cactus1, Stogy and brad2v like this.
  30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks man! I have found some really kool parts, bought from some really kool dudes for this project!;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019