Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Does This Work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Does the bolt turn when you pump the handle? Never seen a jack like this before.
    [​IMG]

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ive never seen one before either, but I would imagine it works like the bumper jacks from the late 60's and early 70s. It might have some sort of paw that locks into the threads after another paw raises it up. I can't see how there is enough mechanism there to make it thread up the ACME looking screw. :confused:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking it works a ratcheting nut inside the housing but I haven't seen one of those for over 50 years.
    They aren't even close to being stable with a car jacked up with one.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Does it have a split nut that slides upward and then closes down on a thread with each ratchet the handle?

5. 1ton

1ton

I'm gonna say that it's threaded only for speed adjusting to get it close then it works like any other jack. If you look close you will see that it has a buttress type thread which is flat on one side. This type of thread was used for extreme loads.

6. Andy

Andy

It is like the 60’s GM jacks that had teeth inside the column. It is just round instead of a rectangle. It is not threaded.

7. X-cpe

X-cpe

My guess is European. I don't remember the exact configuration, but my Spridgets had a reinforced hole in the rockers for a stub like the one sticking out on the side of the pictured piece. The stub was angled like that so that theoretically the jack wouldn't get into the paint.