Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Warning ! Maybe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Lover, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I placed a wanted ad for a '35 Ford grille.A new member here(since Wed) contacts me and says he knows someone with with a grill for sale.I contact the guy in Taylors,SC.He sends me pics and it looks good.Wants payment to a Bitcoin Wallet acct. I ask for his phone number so I can speak to him.He says Bitcoin is easy and to text,not call.

Update,Read my post # 12.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    micksmith likes this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

As Ryan warns us at the top of the classifieds forum:
    "Hey guys, we continue to have issues with a scammer here in the classifieds. I recommend two things to keep your buying experience safe and free of fraud:

1. Do not pay for anything by money order or check. Stay safe and use PayPal. It's really the safest way to buy anything over the internet.

2. Do not buy or trust anyone with zero posts. Typically, about 90% of the fraudulent classifieds users we discover have zero posts and haunt the 'wanted section' for their victims."

mad mikey, mgtstumpy, 3340 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

See if you can get an address. I'm not far from Taylors, SC. Personally, Bitcoin sounds like something for a bubblegum machine, I wouldnt touch it.

5. alchemy

alchemy

There you go, Rex can check it out and pick it up for you.

6. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

You guys are GREAT!

micksmith and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Another example of the H.A.M.B. taking care of their own:) Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. When anyone sends you a photo, the first thing you should do is "Google image search" on the internet to see if there is an original somewhere that your seller has simply copied. It's not a perfect guarantee but that does eliminate a lot of liers and scammers right off the bat.

If you've never done an image search before, there are a few steps you have to learn and it can seem a bit daunting for someone not too computer savvy. I think the steps are different between a desktop and a smartphone. But it's a good skill that will serve you well once you have it down.

The fact that you got a reply so soon after posting is another red flag when considered in the context of the rest. If you suspect anything fishy you can always ask for a new photo with an object that you specify propped up on the radiator (or other parts). You're doing the right thing by asking here.

9. Run Forest Run!

This guy recently joined the hamb and never posted a intro so all he want's is a couple of guys that want's a part badly enough to take a chance.

Sounds like a scam to me. HRP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  10. New member here? Overseas shipping? He knows somebody that has the part? Payment to a Bitcoin account? Text only, no phone calls?

Since the part is not in his possession, he won't be able to take any additional photos for you. Like a picture of him with the grille holding up three fingers.

Tread carefully, or better yet not at all.

Take the photos he sent you and do a Google or Bing image search and see where else the photos show up online.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a better one than him and it is cheaper. send your money to me. cash only. here's a picture

[​IMG]

12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

He did respond and sent references which I checked out. They all came back excellent.Bitcoin won't work for me.I asked about sending a PayPal invoice.No answer as yet.He told me to text him but never sent his number.I then asked if someone could pick it up and pay in cash. Waiting on answer.

micksmith likes this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You’re playing with Fire.
    I wouldn’t give him the time if day.
    Too many excuses. Too many variables.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bitcoin. Intangibles are like ectoplasm. Please don't pay ME with that. Not yet...

And, Like Petejoe says...'Too many variables'!

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

References? Do those references have references?

Asking for Bitcoin seems kinda fishy to me since it's not a stablecoin and has had a lot of up down action this summer.
    https://www.coinbase.com/price/bitcoin

Pretty much everything about this is a red flag to me.

reagen, Hnstray, Sporty45 and 2 others like this.
  17. I thought "bitcoin" was what they did in the old days to see if it was real gold or not...

18. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I don't trust anyone that refuses to speak over the phone

19. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Unless you know the references personally and talk to them directly, you're going to get burned - guaranteed. Sure has all the signs of a scam. When the deal is too good to be true - guess what!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A fool and his money are soon parted.
    You are not a fool. Let Rex help you.

31hotrodguy and deadbeat like this.
  21. reagen, swade41, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  22. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Yea I'll pass unless Rex can pick it up.Thanks all.

23. "Put cash money in a gunny sack and put that in the hollow tree out behind the feed store at midnight..........
    ..........Come back the next night at midnight and the grill will be waiting for ya."

24. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Got an email from a Nigerian prince who wants to sell me his collection of 1932 Ford OEM parts...

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Nicholas Coe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. Really? I got a marriage proposal from his sister! Including a huge inheritance...

mad mikey, 31hotrodguy and ct1932ford like this.
  26. Me Too!:eek:

27. When you get one of these, just reply that you have a friend right where they are, and can check it out, pay for it and pick it up.
    Doesn't matter if they are in Bent Fork- Indiana, or Lae, Papua New Guinea, you always know someone there.
    They never reply, = Scam

lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  28. trollst

trollst

Got you all beat.....just got an email from a lawyer (barrister?) who finally found me and has 40 million waiting for me, he's very happy he finally tracked me down. He is in london england, so....it looks like I'm in the money, I gotta cover the documentation fees and I'll be the king of the hamb, ha ha boys, knew I had a relative I'd never heard of before, proves, if you live long enough, someone will croak and give you 40 million. Yeah, life is gonna be good.....how much do you think document fees in England are?

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Probably just a few pounds......of B/S. Send it to him!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

X8