Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Take a Look at the Texas Termite

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 9, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Take a Look at the Texas Termite

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Looks like it needs to live again.Like the '58 Texas inspection sticker.

Hnstray, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I must have missed this in the swap meet section. Oh wait, my attention was diverted because I was watching so I didn't get run over by the mobility scooters. NSRA is getting lazy, they collect the entry fee and that is the last time you see them. The front gate is the perfect area, total lack of organization. I think this is the last NSRA event I will attend. If a 1984 Chevy suburban is considered a STREET ROD then it's time to move on.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'd take it Joey

5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love it as is. Install a big six & put it on the street

Hnstray and Deuces like this.
  6. What an awesome old hot rod!

Hnstray, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  7. How much was it?

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  8. I'd walk past the perfect show quality builds to eye that one..super cool!
    Yeah, what was the price?

Deuces, jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  9. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Looks like $13,000 or best offer from the one picture you can see the price on the for sale plaque.

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just needs a built 392” and some love... very cool piece!

Deuces, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  11. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I can feel my heart beating faster. I've attended several NSRA nationals, starting around 1975-76. Clicked onto you tube for coverage because I missed the 50 year anniversary. I'm not feeling sorry I didn't go. Too many late models.

Deuces likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Man that's cool.

13. catdad49

catdad49

Ain't That a sweet piece? Just Imagine it stuffed with a Cross-Rammed 440! I can't believe that it's still for sale.

Deuces, Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  14. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

upload_2019-8-10_12-31-52.jpeg

With quote “Not your run-of-the-mill 1932 Ford 3-window coupe. This one is a 1932 Plymouth 3-window Coupe...”

2DDDF3E3-AD86-440B-9624-A567B4868908.jpeg

No info but found this... taking a second look I realize one of these pictures is the same picture posted in the original story

http://georgeklass.net/gassers.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Deuces, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  15. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Honestly, if I had attended that show, that would probably be sitting in my garage now!

Deuces, Stogy and dan31 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never been a "patina" fan but a day's worth of scrubbing with CLR and get the safety items freshened up and figure out what Mopar engine to stick in it. That 330 Desoto in the shed would be a bit small for that one though.

Deuces, catdad49, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

What kind of place is it that offers one of my favorite sandwiches in 2019? I thought those cool sandwiches went out with skinny whitewalls and green high top tennies. A “fried balogna sandwich” better known as a fried “baloney” sandwich was the primary meal for our own lunches and sometimes for breakfast. My dad started us off on these sandwiches on those long, Buick, family road trips and crazy fishing trips. Nothing settles our stomachs, better than a fried baloney sandwich.

When he got tired of using the skinny slices of processed baloney, my dad had the neighborhood butcher sell us a huge, hot dog, looking, chunk of baloney (balogna) It was a normal hot dog, 50 times in size. Then we could cut the slices as thick as we wanted and actually have fried baloney steaks for additional breakfast and lunch meals.

I cooked those thick slices on the grilling plate or pan, the smell permeated my clothes. That was good and bad. Good, when driving the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, on those road trips just filled up the inside with great smells and flavors rolling in my mind while driving. Bad, the aroma of freshly fried baloney permeated my clothes.

So, when I walked into my first period high school English class, everyone looked around to see who cooked breakfast. My friends knew it was me... ha! Fried, custom made, baloney (balogna) sandwiches...nothing better, any time of the day or night.
    upload_2019-8-12_3-30-35.png
    As far as taking them on our surf trips up and down the coast, I was well known for having plenty of sandwiches for a growing teenager. Those fried baloney sandwiches went a long way in the “trade for” bartering system on those surf related road trips.

Jnaki

My wife thought they were gross, until I made one for her. Then it was part of our meal rotation for lunches. Maybe it was that I cooked the meal and not her. Who knows… Add in mustard, lettuce and thick toast for a surprise taste that makes anyone remember how good they were. Yes, baloney (balogna) is just the same processing as an ordinary hot dog…no one wants to get into the explanation of how it is made… But, it WAS/IS very tasty…

Now, that 1932 Plymouth Coupe was in the next generation of Gas Coupes and Sedans. Nice photos of that historic gas coupe. By late 1960, all drag racing cars were obligated to move the Moon Tanks outside of the cabin in front or the rear areas as required by the rules. Most chose the front for ease of space and attachment.

That movement started the dreaded “Moon Tank in front of the radiator” look. On the West Coast, most Gas Coupes and Sedans still had the Moon Tank hidden inside of the fenders and radiator for better wind flow. But the fad exploded to include lots of odd looking cars for the street and at the drags.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was surely a nasty contender...still oozing the desire to get back to business

Thanks for sharing that @J.Ukrop

catdad49 and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. Also known as a "Kentucky Steak Sammidge". ;)

Hnstray, catdad49 and jnaki like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

My Southern born and raised Wife introduced me to fried bologny sammiches decades ago. We don't have them very often, so they are still a treat. Now, what that has to with a piece of drag racing's past, I don't know, but Jnaki has brought up another memorable subject (as usual)!

Hnstray, dirty old man and jnaki like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,

Thanks for liking those fried baloney sandwiches as a fan favorite. But, it was J. Ukrop that brought up the “Fried Balogna Sandwich” episode in the topic. Once I read that paragraph, all thoughts went to my favorite, a home cooked, fried baloney sandwich. While finishing the whole story, thread and new posts, I could “litrelly”… (British pronunciation of literally) smell the aroma of fried baloney slices frying in my mom’s Revere, stainless, chrome pan on the stove. We fried almost everything back in those days.

J.Ukrop: “It’s no secret that the Street Rod Nationals can be a strange place. During my trip to Louisville last week, I saw nearly 13,000 cars crammed onto the grounds of the Kentucky Expo Center. Some were good, some were bad, some fit the guidelines here and the vast majority of them didn’t. In Derby City, i was asked to run in a 3 a.m. footrace, OFFERED A FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICH, overheard some conversations I wished I hadn’t, and watched one hell of a homegrown burnout contest that lasted until...”

Those are memories that just stay ingrained in one’s brain and are called up when something triggers that memory and smell. We are well trained “Pavlovian” dogs in our own history. No salivating here, but the smell of fried baloney sandwiches make me wonder and a definite hunger starts pounding my brain.

Jnaki

As far as drag racing and fried baloney sandwiches are concerned, the two hours to Riverside Raceway in 1959 and almost 3 hours to Bakersfield Smokers March Meet in 1960, supplied several “fried baloney sandwiches” for a couple of growing teenagers. They definitely made the long road trip fun and satisfying. Of course, the dragstrip hot dogs are another story.

Hnstray and catdad49 like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

OK, you caught me! I guess I skimmed Joey's post (something I rarely do) and missed the part about the sandwiches. Now, about the triggers. I try to explain to my kids (and grandkids) about those little doors behind which our (older people's) memories are kept. They just say, "Yeah sure, Dad" and generally just laugh. That is one of the many things that I Love about the HAMB as there are many on here that post things which activate these triggers, Joey and yourself being among them. As is said, "Thanks for the memories!" Til next time, Carp.

Hnstray, dirty old man and jnaki like this.
  23. Looks like it needs a Small Block Chevy and be made race ready. I hate to see old race cars (Drag or Oval track turned into street cars)
    upload_2019-8-15_16-37-52.png

24. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe so .... but I still think she’s aching for a Hemi!

Hnstray likes this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good news, this one has been saved. It underwent a full mechanical restoration and the paint and lettering stayed exactly the same. Best of all, the new owner plans to race it. More details coming soon.

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Update: you'll be seeing this car in RJ Times in the next issue of @TRJ!

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look forward to that...Such a Nasty Hotrod...Love for the Vintage past is a many Splendored Thing...I'd like to See a Race against Brent's A Coupe...just an era correct gathering perhaps unfair in class not sure but it'd be very visually cool and noisy...:D

catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wasn't there a Time when the Drag Coupes were Plated, had to have lights and fenders as in S/R Class I believe. I do remember recently @jnaki talking of the Old S/R Class shutting out coupes possibly and unfairly but I may be incorrect...so maybe not

Drag style coupes aren't practical on the street but neither would the S/Roadsters of the time have been...​

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hey S,

Around 1964, the rules for the street legal Gas Coupe and Sedan Class started to waver. Gone were the actual street legal items like wipers, license plates, running headlights/brake lights, etc. They also allowed the headers to be individual not grouped into a collector. Rules started to change and so did the cars.

The street legal term was loosely used, to keep the fans somewhat interested with the modifications.
    Daily drivers were like antiques during this movement. These cars were now, full race cars with no idea of how to cruise comfortably on Friday or Saturday nights. Times were changing...

The Plymouth coupe had to be built somewhere in the 1965 or later as not many were using the rear ladder bars. If this Plymouth were to be built in 1960, it would have been placed in the Altered Coupe and Sedan class. Missing stock running boards and front bumpers, as well as non stock headlights would have put them in the Altered Class, despite not having a 25% motor set back.

Jnaki

Rules changed and so did the classes. Then it all went to places we don't want to end up. Nice build, but it sure seemed like later than 1965 when the rules were changing for the worse. Those Drag News papers from 1964 and later had the drag results reported, but the section that used to have the gas coupes and sedans as part of the whole dragstrip write ups, became a single line about SWC vs someone and that is all the coverage given. Most could see the writing on the wall for the future...

catdad49 likes this.