Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Find: 1962 Rambler 2dr with 27k miles, but is it cool ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. farna

farna

That's an interesting powertrain choice! I don't know if the 4V intake would fit without cutting out at least the carb side "hump" over the suspension, but sounds like it would be worth it, even with the stock head.

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I don't think these cars make particularly good "traditional" hot rod or custom material, so I would be reticent about giving one that style of treatment. That's not to say that it couldn't be cool, just probably not HAMB material. If it were mine and I had to build it, I'd totally go sleeper style with it, but with a modern drivetrain and all stock interior and exterior aside from some thin performance tires. A BMW N55 (3.0 I6, Twin scroll turbo) would be insane in one of these, or even an older Toyota JZA80 out of a Supra. Would be a real hoot to drive with a stick trans.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. farna

farna

Why is that? One thing people don't know about them is that the little 58-63 American (and 50-55 Nash Rambler... all have the same chassis with a few relatively minor differences over the years) has one of the stiffest unit bodies ever made. One thing that contributes to this is that the sills ("frame" rails) run continuously from bumper to bumper. They aren't the more widely known "three box" design like later unit bodies (even Ramblers from the 63 Classic/Ambo and 64 American on). All Big Three unit bodies are three box -- engine compartment, passenger compartment, trunk. The joining point for the boxes can be a weak area, depends on how much the front and rear sills ("frames") overlap the passenger box and how much cross bracing there is (even with a true subframe, like many GM cars). Since the goal is to make the car light weight in most instances, there isn't much. The roof and side structure contributes a lot to rigidity in the three box design. The roof and sides also stiffen the little Americans (all pre 63 Ramblers are made the same way - very rigid unit bodies!) as well, but not as much as later unit body designs.

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    waxhead, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. 'Mo

'Mo

This one would catch my attention at any show!

[​IMG]

waxhead, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. 'Mo likes this.