Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Run in fixture for 9 inch Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Aug 8, 2019.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am thinking about building a fixture to run in 9 inch Ford chunks before putting them in the car. It's hard to properly break in a set of gears on a race car . The manufacturer recommends running them and cooling them off and putting miles on them.
    Has anyone built one ? I am thinking about using a center of a 9 inch by cutting the axle tubes off and welding plate s over the ends. Then come up with an electric motor setup to turn the yoke. Most of the ones I build use a spool so driving the axles would not be an issue.

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Haven't made one but I'd think it would be a piece of cake.

Like you said a housing with just the center section, tubes cut and blocked. I'd just take a pulley and weld a plate that could bolt to the u_joint flange and run a electric motor and fan belt to the pulley.

Think it would work great.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Without rotational resistance it would take forever to run in a differential. IMO

4. X-cpe

X-cpe

Which would take a stout electric motor to turn it at any speed. You're probably close to building a dyno to do it right.

ClayMart, 61Cruiser and Boneyard51 like this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve got an idea..... put the into just a car, not a race car, and drive it around????

Bones

Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Drive it to get heat into it.
    We always just set them up, drove up and down the road or the roads at the drag strip, let it cool off then off to the water burnout and go!

Ask Quain what they do.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's the way I have been doing it for years. Just a few laps around the block and on the trailer.
    Boneyard51 it won't fit in my Nissan pickup or I would . It is not practical because my spool is 33 splines. I can just see putting a 6.00 gear in a daily driver to break it in.
    On the dirt track cars we would just put them on jack stands and stick them in high gear and run them for about a half hour checking them for heat every ten minutes and then cool them off. Drain the gear oil and put synthetic in and run them.
    I am sure Nascar has a setup to run their differentials in.

AHotRod likes this.