Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building for The Race of Gentlemen...someday

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NbdyHome2, Mar 4, 2019.

1. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I've been dreaming of racing in TROG for years now...ever since I heard of it. I recently got back from a deployment, was browsing craigslist and came across a 46-48 flathead. The perfect start...one might think. Great motor, some stuck valves, zero cracks visible. Slowly disassembling and dreaming of the day I find a good candidate to put the motor in. Browsing craigslist again, I find a '31 rolling chassis with a 'rebuilt' 4 cylinder (a banger? Is that what you guys call it on here?). I say 'rebuilt because that's what the guy said and he hadn't run it in about a year, since he bought it. Missing a few things to prove that it runs (coil, ignition switch, the junction box thing that I keep forgetting the name of, etc...), I thought it to be beautiful, straight, and the right time, right place sort of thing. Home she went.

Now, with a rolling chassis that is only a few parts and a day or so away from running, a half torn apart flathead with 10 stuck and sheared off head bolts/studs, and some time to think....I started leaning toward the 4 cylinder as it wouldn't totally molest the near perfect frame I found (with what I think might be original paint?). But how do I make a 4 cylinder model A motor from 1930 competitive at TROG? My first thought was a head with higher compression ratio, maybe a different carb? I want to stay period correct, which I understand is difficult, but man, is it possible?

ALSO, I'd like to do the Tardel step....are there any videos that show it done step by step? I have the book, but I'm not seeing enough pictures. I have the rear end marked at 4 inches but I'm hesitant to start cutting.

Anybody have experience that can be passed? An old thread that I should read? I'm new here, I'm horrible with computers, but I'm slowly figuring this out.

I also need an all steel body and am looking for a mor drop or dago axle.....preferably one that will ship as I imagine finding one in Panama City Beach during spring break is like finding tits on a bull. Anybody have some good places to look other than eBay, Craigslist, places that want to charge me way too much for something useless?

I know I won't be racing this year, maybe not even next year. But someday, my wife has promised to wear the booty short Harley coveralls and wave my flag. If any of you guys can offer some advice, I'd be forever grateful.

Looking forward to reading more on here. A lot of you guys are geniuses as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Since this is your first hot rod I'd suggest you keep it simple. A 'banger can be competitive on the sand...and "winning" isn't all that important anyway. It's about building a traditional hot rod and having fun with it. You've got a good start. Don't lose sight of your dream or make it too complicated, just learn as you go, set small and attainable goals as you progress and don't try to reinvent the wheel. Good luck!

Never2low, hfh, AmishMike and 5 others like this.
  3. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Check out the Banger Meet thread. Lots of good info there every month.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/march-2019-banger-meet-pot-ogold-info.1141527/

There are a lot of Bangers at TROG. I ran my '29 Phaeton in 2017 with a Hi Comp head, a Holley 94 and Wico Mag. and '39 trans. I didn't run a fuel pump (mistake) and I ran out of gas in the carb before the finish. Building a '29 roadster for this year using an aftermarket Winfield head, OG Winfield carb, intake and that same Wico Mag. and the motor from the Phaeton.

waxhead likes this.
  4. This reads good. I like Young Guns. Being past 70 and reading what you want to do makes me wish I could help. Maybe I can with motivation. Here are a couple photos of "stuff" just cause I only type with 2 fingers. This has been my Life forever, you should have been there.
    20180404_153408.jpg Hot Rod Banger with B-Ville history.
    20151023_094150.jpg Honest, I'm going to work on it again soon. Well I hope to.

bct, jimgoetz, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.

5. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Have you checked out the classifieds on this site? Maybe you could put a (wanted) ad in there for the parts you need. What year / style / condition body are you looking for? What's your budget?

6. If your goal is to run at TROG, you must be period correct, they have rules that must be followed, you may want to contact them to find out what is allowed.

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Someday somebody will start "a reunion of gentlemen", much cheaper, just bench racing...
    with a parking lot / field full of memories... ... just dreamin'

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do post a wanted ad be VERY careful of scammers. Lots of threads about what to watch for that are red flags that the person who contacted you is a scammer. Also lots of good information here and on the Ford Barn about removing broken studs in flatheads. Finally, its your build so in the end do it your way. JMHO

9. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

I wish you could help too!!! But man, these days I don't feel like a young gun. Work beats me up pretty good so it's tough to get out in the garage over the weekend. But i don't see many my age with this stuff, so I'll give you that. I teach kids from 18+, and it kills me that a lot of them don't know how to use a hammer or a screwdriver. They could probably fix my computer though.

The pictures are awesome, thanks for sharing!

1931 4-Banger Racer

craig b blue likes this.
  10. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

I have checked out the classifieds but I don't have enough points to post there. Still trying to figure this site out. I've since picked up a '31 coupe, another roller, and TONS of parts, so I think I'm good on that. I have to rebuild the seat, notch and attach the body, find out where a lot of steel goes, shore up everything...wire, fire, and run!

1931 4-Banger Racer

waxhead likes this.
  11. ...............You don't need any points to use the classifieds. You just have to send the poster a PM if you are interested in whatever they have for sale.:)................Don.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

click on "start a conversation" on his/hers avatar

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

But I do need points to post there, no?

1931 4-Banger Racer

14. ..................No.

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So don't get overly competitive with the banger... Id say a good snyders medium compression head, or a knock off Winfield .. just don't go crazy... about 6.0 to 1 is about it for stock internals to keep it together for more than a month... Look at doing the 39 trans for the syncro's it makes shifting faster and smoother... No double clutching needed...

Intake I would run would be a single downdraft and put a good rebuilt carb on... the Ansen or Riley would look more period correct and work pretty dang good... There is a few dual updraft intakes out there, honestly they are pretty dang good too, and not many folks run em… Benefit of updraft is if the fuel is left on, the floats stick your not filling the engine with fuel.. Plus there isn't the starvation issues on inclines as with the downdrafts...

Exhaust, honestly there are tons of ways to go at this, you could just put a header on, but will loose power and not really be too traditional either... If you look at mufflers etc, some can make power like the Aires… some kill..Exhaust manifold should run just fine...

Few things I would do is go ahead and put one of the FSI distributors in it. While there put a new cam gear, dist drive shaft also... If you are doing the head, you can get some aftermarkets that have updated plug holes so your not searching for the monsters... But tip, oreilly can order the champions in for you... My 29 had Edison's in it, they ran but were done... If you could find the Edison's it would be a cool tip on the iceberg... I see some come up on ebay so check that out every once in a while.

I think you are off to a good start and look forward to seeing where this goes...

This is the 29 I sold the first part of this year... good driving banger car, complete survivor couldn't bring myself to strip it down to do what I wanted so sold her to a good home. … If you hop up the lil banger motor man it runs pretty dang good... It can put the hurting on a stocker flatty v8 for sure...

Attached Files:

16. Keep us posted on this project, looks like fun and a good start...

17. You can create a new ad but you can't post on someone else's. The classifieds are set up so no one can comment on someone else's ad.

18. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

First of all, THANK YOU! for all of that. I was leaning toward the Snyder 6.0:1 until I saw the lion heads....but was worried about stock internals. The motor has a semi-fresh rebuild on it, so it's not like I'm dealing with 88 year old parts though. My wallet won't allow me to go too crazy anyway. I'm definitely planning on a downdraft and I already have a stromberg 97...needs a rebuild, but it's all there.

In regards to the exhaust manifold, it's got an old heater built in to it. It's in great shape but I don't plan on needing heat in the car. I've got 3 other motors with good manifolds on them so I was going to swap as necessary.

I can't remember what else you wrote to respond to at the moment and can't figure out how to read what I'm replying to so I'll leave it at that for now.

But thanks again for the tips. That was exactly what I needed.

Oh, one last thing....a hopped up 4 cylinder will keep up with a flathead V8??? Did I read that correctly?

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Hmm....I tried to post there the other day and it wouldn't let me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm no Bill Gates, that's for sure. As I've said before, I work best underwater....and I can't bring my computer down there.

20. ............It doesn't really work from the mobile app. You need to use your web browser or get onto a PC.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  21. ...............and, are you attempting to place an ad or respond to one?

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  22. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

This is where I'm at so far. Still need to do some channeling, acquire some original hardware to keep all the sheet metal together, wire her up (I'm terrible at wiring so if anybody has a good diagram, I'd be grateful), get a fuel guage, fill her up and go! 20190804_133007.jpeg 20190803_134434.jpeg

23. buy the harness already done from Brattons it comes with the diagram. It's pretty easy. Goes by color and which wires are together.
    IMG_1844.jpg

24. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

At the time I was attempting to place an ad. I haven't tried since, however.

25. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

I've got all the wires...just missing the diagram. Bought them from battlefield model a parts on E-pay. Supposed to be all like original, fabric coated, same colors. Now that I have the body, should be much easier as well.

26. When I had my A pickup I found a wiring diagram with Google search.
    Think I tried "Model A wiring diagram"
    Of course I got rid of it when I traded the truck off.

27. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The heater manifold would probably sell pretty easy and put a little money back in your pocket and Yeah the Snyder 6 works good... I think you may find some gears will help get you some freeway speed for sure.. Few guys on here re geared theirs and roll 65 with no problem with a warmed up banger.. I think the overall build looks good man...

Yes a hopped up banger will hang or outrun a stock flathead 8... Its fun to watch....

If you can check the timing gear, its made out of fiber crap and will shear if its old and abused... Some folks upgrade to the aluminum one or throw a new fiber one on.. Just one of those things when It fails, you will yell a few choice words for sure but best part is the valves wont hit the pistons... haha.

Digging the build.. keep up the good work.....

28. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

29. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Like what you're doing. Hope this helps^^

30. missysdad1

missysdad1

Man...take a deep breath and do some research before you start cutting anything. You've already made some rookie mistakes, please don't compound your problems by charging into this project unprepared. Take your time...patience will pay off with less ruined parts, less overall build price and a quicker build time.