Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How many of y'all wear rubber gloves when working??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Aug 6, 2019.

1. I started wearing them in 2014 when I got my Ford. I should have had them on once, may have saved me from a nasty spider bite. I get the HF 7-mil ones. My tattoo artist wears the 10-mil black ones, required by law. The 7-mil ones are a little longer than the 5-mil ones. They save me a lot of hand scrubbing and I'm not big on the chemicals I'm exposed to. I recall the real old timers I worked with, one looked like that Mr. Dirt character from the commercials. He had dirt embedded all over him, he checked out at age 54, looked like anyone today that is a bad 90, but he drank like a fish and smoked.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Nitrile Gloves are my friend, buy them by the case now ,wish I would have had them at work, nitrile gloves allow me to continue my car hobby.

I worked at the same place in a machining plant since 1973, then in 2012 machine cleaners got into the machine cutting oil and took the protective oil and water barriers from my skin allowing the machine cutting oil to be absorbed.

Suddenly rashed up over my whole body, then Doctor said had to retire early because of what they call allergic contact dermatitis. This changed our lives because now got to watch what I touch, where I sit, where I go and what I use for cleaning ect.

So if gloves are available when you working with chemicals suggest you use em.:eek:

I especially use them when working on Fords or MOPARs also :D

Truckdoctor Andy, j-jock and Stogy like this.
  3. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

No. Though I probably should. This is clean for me! I'm surprised my wife lets me touch her at all! IMG_20190807_103814.jpg

4. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Wear nitrile gloves always, even under work gloves. Never know what something is leaching. Old electrical panels, the goo that some leak out is strange. Mastic my ass.

Wife gets some exam grade gloves from work, not surgical grade. Light blue, damned if I can't find the box or remember the name. Thin but strong, forget they are on sometimes.
    Permatex dark blue gloves seem to hold up pretty decent, but I seem to always pop the palm.
    Glove Plus black gloves are shit. They are black so you cant see how filthy they are, and disintegrate on contact, can't recall where I got them.
    Ammex Indigo, these are my current favorite ones. Last a long time.

Also use the surgical style ear loop face masks when working on dusty items.
    If I can I wash down anything I'm working on prior to touching it, I will. God bless Simple Green an coin-op car wash soap wands.

FYI, baby oil is great at preventing oil/grease from sticking to your skin, also great at removing oil/grease from your skin. And great at removing electrical tape glue from surfaces, namely fingers.
    And a good fingernail brush, Rubbermaid is my go to.

j-jock and Stogy like this.
  5. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Been using them for years (10) I wear them under leather gloves when using a die grinder. I'm the guy that gets all the micro-slivers. Have a magnifier & quality tweezers at the ready.

Stogy likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Getting better at wearing them. Have always worn leather most of the time when working with metal, welding, cutting, bending, etc. Have started using rubber when using some chemicals, but never on oil or grease.

I think the C element is decided more by a persons genetics as to whether they will get it or not. I’ve know guys that smoked all their lives, worked with gas, oil, and chemicals on their skin, and lived well into their 90’s. On the other hand, I’ve know a few that didn’t make it out of their 30’s, and never smoked or was exposed to any chemicals or petroleum products.

Stogy likes this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've more recently adopted using them. When my daughter was born I swiped a few boxes from the hospital, and I've just sort of gotten used to them. It's nice not having that grease embedded in my skin, and it takes it easier to clean up later, not to mention it does provide some protection from light abrasions and obviously from chemical absorption.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Yeah, I know, but I can't become totally responsible all at once. People would talk.
    Bob

blowby and Stogy like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I should wear them when I use the parts washer but rarely do..Tried couple times but the light ones didn't hold up well; cleaner was harsh and would burn skin..Have less harsh stuff now but practice keeping hands out of it..Lately have been wearing leather gloves while doing over head welding; makes my fingers fat like my DR's when checking prostrate..

Stogy likes this.
  10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i only wear one glove most of the time i only wear it when i weld or burn.

damn i had to redo that statement.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  11. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark another one up for Thickster 14 mil gloves. I don't like them but I guess I would like liver disease less.

Also Thickster makes an XXL glove (part no. 6605) where others do not. You know what they say: big hands,
    big gloves.

Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I never wore gloves when I turned wrenches for a living. I stuck my hands with open cuts into a bucket of cleaning solvent many times. Nobody wore gloves, you would've stood out like a newbie if you did. But I try to put them on when working on my cars at home these days. I don't always, it's easy to fall back to old habits, but I try. Once you get started and your hands are already greasy, seems foolish to stop and put gloves on then....

Stogy likes this.
  13. I wear them pretty regularly. Still working in healthcare, so patients look at you funny when there is dirt under your fingernails. I also worry about chemicals leeching into my skin and making my liver work harder than it needs to.

Stogy likes this.
  14. slack

slack

Religiously. Keeps my fingernails pretty and I don't have to buy Go-Jo. They also offer a modicum of protection.

15. Ziggster

Ziggster

I rarely wear gloves, especially the latex or nitrile ones, as I get too sweaty and they usually rip way too soon. It doesn't help that my hands are XXL. I'm just getting used to wearing safety glasses more often, and a mask.

16. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

It's really not.

Truckdoctor Andy and Stogy like this.
  17. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I wear gloves all the time and have different gloves for all different tasks.
    Welding gloves, metal forming gloves, mechanics gloves, yard work gloves, rubber gloves.

I work in an office and need to have clean hands.

I buy the rubber gloves from Costco.

Unfortunately I have small hands and when anyone wears my gloves I get to hear them speculate about what other parts of my anatomy may match the size of my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobss396 and Stogy like this.
  18. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I keep a box of black nitrile gloves for messy tasks.

Stogy likes this.
  19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I suppose it would depend upon who I was working on........o_O

bobss396 likes this.
  20. mohead1

mohead1

What chemicals...was he in business and doing it daily? I usually wear them for heavy chemical or oil work...but in general not very often. Doing heavy work w gloves that tear constantly id a pain in the ass. I use mech gloves or thinner leathers alot whrn under the cars or trucks...but the thin throw-a-ways suck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

21. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Always wear your gloves!

[​IMG]

Tri-power37 likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oil, coolant, solvents.

Not daily, but often enough to kill him.

Don't be next. People love you, more than you hate gloves.

Truckdoctor Andy and Stogy like this.
  23. Just for mixing paint and spraying paint, but I've never smoked so that should even things out a bit.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The younger guys at the garage I work at always wear rubber gloves. I’m nearly 50 and never do - I think it’s a good idea to wear them. My dad and father in law were mechanics they never wore them and they got cancer and went down hard - maybe it’s related maybe it’s not? Anyhoo I plan on going out in a overly dramatic flaming hot rod wreck!

Scumdog likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wear those easy rippers only because I figure it is trendy like those ripped designer jeans the cool kids wear. Everyone still looks at me funny when I go in nto a store. Maybe I am not so cool.:oops:

26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Several types. I have a bunch of boxes of the cheap thin nitrile gloves around. They’re ok for light duty stuff, like cleaning up after an oil change, but they tend to blow out quickly. The HF thick nitrile (9 mil?) don’t blow out easily, and I use those for anything more than an oil change. For parts washing, I have a pair of chemical resistant gloves that are much thicker, and more cumbersome.

I never used to wear gloves. Was all tough guy about it. Oil, grease, whatever, it didn’t bother me. Then parts washing started getting followed by days of skin flaking off my hands. That’s disturbing to see, and painful. So now, yeah, I’m wearing gloves and avoiding as much chemical contact as possible.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Scumdog and Blues4U like this.
  27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I wear the H.F. 7mil also. Have for at least 15 years. My son however hates them and seldom does even though I supply them.

28. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

My employer supplies rubberized cloth and nitrile gloves, I wear them all day, but most others in the shop don't. It's nice to just peel off a glove and have clean hands to use the laptop or get in the toolbox.
    I use them in my home shop too, but never on the mill or lathe.

29. I never wear gloves of any sort while machining. My buddy with the big shop, he had guys working for him that insisted on wearing gloves, getting dirty was beneath them. He found some gloves that are made for working on mills and lathes and stand up to the coolants. Those are actually pretty nice.

When I was changing the rear in my Ford in 2017, it was March and cold out. I put on a pair of my gym gloves, weight lifting type with no finger protection. They worked quite well and have a leather palm on them. I took an older pair and those sit in my tool box, ready for the next dirty ass job that comes along.

30. mohead1

mohead1

Wow.....then im ficked.....been gitting hands dirty for 45 yrs......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk