Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Am I the only one that's honest enough to say........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

"Working on cars/hot rods just ain't as much fun as it use to be"! Maybe its because its upper 90's and dog days of August. Maybe its because I'm 71 and have been fool'in with cars since I was in high school. Maybe its because I'm fat & don't get much any more! Oh..don't forget the bad knees and hip.
    Maybe I just want to do some anonymous bitch'in.
    Any y'all feel the same? What's the cure?
    6sally6
    Sorry for whining like an old Ford dump truck:(

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Knowing my time is limited being older changes my priorities of fun.
    Long term projects just isn’t something that falls in that category anymore.
    I do still like puttering in the garage daily.

61Cruiser, zipoleon, corndog and 7 others like this.
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

My puttering seems to be more dreaming and sipping than wrenching.

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I get as much done as I used to it just takes me longer.
    Relates to about everything in life

5. I am in the same boat....all of the above! Go on a vacation cruise, forget about cars for a while and maybe you will come back with more energy.

Uribe, AHotRod, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  6. chopped

chopped

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm looking for a finished car, something I've never done before.

7. I work on my car whenever time and money permit it.

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I have to admit I often find myself making excuses about getting out there and doing what needs to be done. As I get older other priorities seem to take more of an importance. It used to be in my younger years I almost couldn't sleep at night if my car wasn't ready to go at the touch of the key. I guess for me it comes down to whether these cars are a lifestyle or just a hobby. I find if you have a hobby that begins to take on the form of a chore, it then ceases to be a hobby.

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah but I'm too stubborn to give up, even tho ninety percent of my time is spent looking for my lost ambition during these 93 degree, 107 heat index summer days in my South Florida shop

10. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I still enjoy it as much as ever, but I don't seem to be in as much of a hurry to get things done as I used to be. And as other folks have said, it takes me longer to get things done.
    Phil

11. exterminator

exterminator

Now days I just want to drive it and not work on them much anymore. One reason for listing my 41 ply for sale here on hamb. After all I am 67!:eek:

AHotRod, Deuces, prpmmp and 1 other person like this.
  12. belair

belair

You are not the only one.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It started for me when I bought a boat, damn its just so much easier to get on the water and watch the sun go down.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I built my last Model A hot rod in 2014.. It's been five years since then, I'm 72 and miss the hell out of building something.. I just bought a 53 Plymouth project and I'm happy as hell that I again have something to work on.. It almost makes me forget about my ailments and I feel like a kid back in the game.. I've had it a week and a half and I'm ready to pull the stock drivetrain and install the already purchased engine and transmission.. I also want to change the rear end, wire the car and lower the front a little.. Shit, I'm going back to the shop, see ya.....

15. Yep. Actually thinking about selling off my hoarded project cars. Maybe have one more build left in me, physically. And it needs to be simple=easy.

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Some days, like when its 114 degrees and the New Green Deal is all over the T.V. I will have a personal pity party.
    But now that I am in my 70's and am on borrowed time I just say screw it and continue onward and upward just for spite.:)

17. Yes, everything hurts! Hard to get up off the floor. Think about selling cars and stuff. If a nice deuce frame found it's way to me I would love to build one more. Sometimes you just have to say "What The F%#@".

61Cruiser, LAROKE, spiffy1937 and 7 others like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My O.T. 'sometimes driver' (BMW convertible) was touching 90 MPH yesterday, got real hot and I found an off ramp. Hole in the lower rad hose. Somewhat of a hassle, so I called tow service. Ramp truck had me home after 2 hours in the 99* Calif sun.
    Didn't want to FIX it, waited 'til today. Still didn't want to, but did anyway.
    At 76, reaching down to that low S.O.B. is no picnic. But I got it off with no strain...except my knee, and back. Oh, felt it in my hip, too...

This morning I had to go to get an MRI on my back: turned into 2 of 'em. LONG time layin', I'll tell ya.
    But when I went out to get in my truck, ('55 F100) my starter made a low 'growl', different sound...like someone had a pillow around it, to silence it. Three times, now starter is going s-l-o-w...No tools, so I waited just a minute...low growl, then: Whirrr, normal. And it lit right up!
    So, now...Happy time! I get to work on the 'traditional HAMB Friendly machine!

Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. Life is good. LOL

19. pumpman

pumpman

Been doing this stuff a long time too. Just turned 73 and still love tinkering in the shop. Just more on old gas pumps and cleaning the cars before a early night cruise. But I have found myself more on the deck enjoying a cold beverage lately. The weather here has been great and I figure I better suck it up while I can.

But I relate to what you’re saying. Some days it's like trying to go uphill with roller skates on.

61Cruiser, LAROKE, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not there yet but I'm sure I will be one day. Having an A.C. in my shop helps a bunch.

31hotrodguy, Mahty, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've found new hobbies over the years...Got back into birding (I know...) big time. My wife and I have a vintage camper we like to take around. I recently got into restoring vintage axes. My kids are my biggest hobby ever. Cars will be around for a long time. I'll find the time and motivation. For now, My '50 is a driver and my T Sedan isn't going any whwre.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Show us your Mustang, there Mustang Sally, Maybe we can come up with some inspiration.....66 is a shared body style with 65,64.. I think it could be a fun project with some period touches, fast back? vert? "notch back?" or at least thats what I call em:D I had friends who had em when I was younger, some jacked up in the back with 50s cragars etc. sticking out...I was riding in the back seat of a dark green 68 California special, 50s etc., with my buddies one Sunday evening when we took a curve too fast and turned a cooler over in my lap, my buddy looked back to see what happened and ran off the edge of the road, then over corrected, rolling it down the edge of the hwy taking out 26 guard post and a do not pass sign:rolleyes: ....but anyway thats another story:D We also liked to "Fix" em up too:D
    Watcha got?

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

It takes All night to do what I used to do all night. I'm also 71, a little used up, worn out with some replacement parts, not as good as OEM, functional, pretty good. Never did a 5 minute job iob my life, used to joke about taking 5 hours, now it's 5 days +. I'm not doing much anymore in my shop, but still spend some time there, trying to finish my last project, a race car restoration that I drove in the 70's, You are not alone in slowing down, I don't know anybody that hasn't slowed, Lots of Talk/BS, not much getting done. I'm sure they are out there. I/you can still drive your ride, go to shows/cruises etc. Enjoy the hobby and if your project is not done, NOW'S the time to buy something, Remember the wife will spend it on her next boyfriend/husband, Kids will spend it on their likes/needs/wants and you Can't take it with you. Aging is not for Pussy's.

24. I will only have "driving projects " now. Do the easy upgrades and only take it down for a longer project in the winter. This winter will be a new wiring harness, cylindrical fuel tank, and a custom stake body bed. All doable before spring.
    And yes, it hurts! Putting off surgery and getting an epidural injection in my lower back in two weeks...

25. prpmmp

prpmmp

At 65 I keep telling myself that this is what I love to do, So not being the sharpest tool in the shed I believe it! :confused: Pete

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've been working on my cars since 13, working on others cars for a living since 15. So I've got plenty of experience working on cars and the cool ideas are still in my head for different builds I'd love to do but reality kicks in and let's me know that the wallet ain't there with the ideas.

Started different cars thru the years and never got one finished without something getting in the way. A 68 400 firebird I worked on for about 5 years replacing about every body panel, new paint, vinyl top etc and started the inside, new carpet etc only to have a huge oak tree fall on it and take it out. Only had liability insurance as I wasn't driving it.

A 65 lemans I started, a 428 h.o. build going for it complete with Bill Miller aluminum rods, etc. Was aiming for a true 10 second street car but had kids, bought house and needed money so slowly sold off 65 lemans parts, motor etc.

Then a few others here and there, my 31 Tudor is a project I started a few years ago and atleast at this point I still own all of it and making progress but money gets tight and the Tudor is the first to suffer.

A few 1000 dollars and the Tudor would be a whole lot further along then it is now.

Sometimes I get tired too, sometimes from the work, sometimes the lack of time and sometimes I get tired of the lack of funds.

27. CME1

CME1

Well at 77 yo, I have sold my last project car, this last April. I am looking for a completed '40-'50's car. Some thing I can get in and drive to the car functions and back home. Last weekend I went to a great out side car show. First in a long time with out my hot rod. Had a great time looking at the car's and talking with friend's. After three hour's of this, I headed back to my 2017 F150 and drove home. Had a great time!

48fordnut, AHotRod, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  28. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Since you're not that old, I'll say it's because you are fat.

I had a health challenge gained 50 lbs. didn't feel I could do anything. Lost the fifty, doing everything I used to do.

Lose 50 and report back here.

29. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

This is timely for me as I was questioning my interest in the "hobby" lately. Nothing
    grabs my interest like bitchin' cars. My old man instilled in interest that I've kept all
    my life, but this so-called hobby has changed, not me. Instead of drive-ins to hang
    out at with a dozen cars, we have cruise nights with hundreds of them and a good
    majority are seldom driven. Ford's, Chevy's, Mopar's, Amc's and rods were straight,
    painted and cleaned. The word "patina" was unheard of and if someone drove a
    rusty piece of shit it wasn't praised as a survivor or barn find, it was a piece of shit.
    Dog dish hubcaps went straight in trash to make room for chrome reversed wheels.
    Then those were sold to some newcomer to make room for Cragar S/S'. Who the
    hell built a T-bucket with a flathead? You at least put a 283 in it. It was supposed
    to be a hot rod, remember?

It would cost $2.00 to go through a swap meet and $8 to 10.00 to sell. A good paint
    job didn't run $10,000 minimum. Everybody and his brother wasn't trying to
    get rich on a used part, it was just a matter of getting the parts out of the garage to
    someone who could use them. A Corvette was a kool car to have, not a museum
    piece that needs to have the correct overspray on the chassis. I had a kid
    that dug cars and was my shadow at the dragstrip. Those days are gone, too. The
    one thing I still enjoy is taking pics of cars, on the street, in a driveway, sitting
    outside of a repair shop. But never at a "cruise night" or Sunday morning parking
    lot car show. We went from leaning on the fenders of our Nova's and Camaro's
    at Dog 'N Suds to posting little signs on the car at a show that say "If You Toucha
    My Car, I Breaka You Face".

30. Best thing to have is a lift. I have had one for 20 years, but apricate it now more than ever. You just have to keep on moving. I have over 10-1/2 acres that I take care of. It is park like with a pond. It keeps me moving. It would be easy to give in to doing nothing, but it is not in my DNA. Go Man Go!