Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turning drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Aug 7, 2019.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Going to turn some early Ford drums ( 12" hyd,) What is the maximum we can turn those? Thanks

2. don't they have a max. dia. cast into the drum? I never looked but most newer stuff does.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The normal max is usually .080 You should be safe with that.

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

So , you're say 12.080 " is the max? Or is there a minimum thickness where you would measure the drum?
    Sorry to ask a dumb question, but its been a long time since I fooled with having drums turned. I used to just take them to somebody I could trust to do it right and knew more about what they were doing than I did, but those sort of places are getting to be a memory around here.

5. 12" drums may be .090 max oversize, I'd try to hold it to around .060 to .080 over depending how thick the shoe contact area is. I don't recall when they started adding the maximum size allowable to them.

6. I have never seen max die cast into an original early Ford drum. I believe some of the repros have max .090 cast in. Call a few shops and I think you will find .060 is max unless otherwise specified.

Charlie Stephens

7. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

I think the info you seek can be found on the Van Pelt Sales website