Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wondering if this is happening in any other part of the USA & world ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 6, 2019.

1. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Policy at my store is EVERY BOX that gets returned is opened and checked. But then you get into the thing with people saying "I never opened it, it was like that when I got it." So you're left with the option of calling them a liar or refunding the part and taking the hit yourself. Which, by the way, drives up the cost for everybody else. I try to open and check every box before the part goes out and I will occasionally find a used part in the box. Just means somebody didn't check it at another store when it was returned. And some supposedly professional shops aren't above doing this. They'll screw something up installing it and then return it. There are a lot of good people out there, but there are some that are just lying assholes.

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Typical case of small number of cheats/thieves screwing it up for everyone else.
    Unfortunately, what might happen is the oil suppliers may need to redesign their cap to thwart the cheating MOFO's.
    If/Once they do, it might translate into a cost pass down to consumers. Maybe we need to go back to oil containers with push/plug in pour spouts!!

3. 6sally6

6sally6

I bought some lacquer thinner and when I opened it..........it was water.
    Took it back to Home Depot (hoping they didn't think I WAS THE CROOK!) They said the same thing. People are assholes.(Not really) They said people do stuff like that a lot. I guess they think they're 'getting-one-over-on-the-man!' Getting something for nuth'in.
    6sally6

Deuces likes this.
  4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Another Lowes Paint department story
    Guy comes in and orders some paint.
    When he gets it,he bitches that it is the wrong color.
    So it goes on the specials table(cheaper)
    So he sends his wife in the next day to get it cheaper(thieving bastard)
    Next time he pulled that crap,my ex waited until he left and changed the color in the can and put it on the specials table.
    Naturally the next morning,his wife shows up and buys it cheaper
    He shows up in the afternoon bitching that the color is wrong.
    My ex just pointed to the sign that said' no refunds on paint on the specials table'
    Really pissed him off!

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thanks for the warning on the trans fluid. I’m about ready to fill mine, was planning on getting gallons, think now I’ll just get quarts instead.

As to parts, I always open them at the parts counter. I’ve ran across the old spark plugs in new boxes trick before, so I open everything now and look at it before I even pay for it.

6. Deuces

Deuces

:D

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I worked at a local Walmart for a short time assembling bicycles. We had a lady that came in and bought a bike for her small child. I even adjusted the seat so it was right for the child.
    Two days later, she brought the bike back, mangled to no end. She said it was "defective", the story was, the child left the bike in the driveway, behind the car. Mom got in and backed the car over top of the bike. Since her child could no longer ride the bike, it was defective.
    We refused to give her a new bike, so she complained to Walmart Corporate. A few days later we were informed they everyone involved with denying the "defective" bicycle replacement was to apologize, give them a new bike, and also give them a $25 gift card "for her trouble". Everyone involved at the local Walmart was also given a written warning. The customer is always right! I don't buy anything at Walmart, but my wife still buys food there.

As far as buying oil, I only buy quarts of oil that have the ring around the lid you have to break to open. They probably have a way to rip you off with those as well, but I think the odds are better.

A few years ago I bought a couple of the 8' LED shop lights at Menards. Both were defective, so I returned then and got 2 more. Neither of those worked either! The refund desk sent me back to get a couple different lights, but when I got back there, the only ones there were the 2 I had returned the day before! Both boxes were taped up and the defective lights were put back on the shelf. I got a cash refund. I no longer but anything that looks like it might have been opened. Gene

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I ran into this 40 years ago,went to buy some cherry bomb style mufflers for my galaxie and since the boxes looked like they were opened I pulled the mufflers out and they were the old rusty ones..

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A friend got me some parts for my 53 Olds from a guy that lived close to him that sold old parts,both U joints were used and the boxes looked to be over 50 years old so this have been going on for many years.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Local O'Reilly's makes it a practice of taking everything out of the box (spark plugs included) right on the parts counter in front of you before you buy it. They (say they) do it to confirm all the hardware, etc. is not missing and that it's the correct part. True dat, however, the practice prevents the scammers from returning to the store with a used part in their box claiming it was in there when they got home and opened the box.

Local Walmart has all the Mobil 1, synthetics (quarts and gallons) locked in a showcase. Same goes for all the small sized tools such as air pressure gauges. I asked the guy about the Mobil 1. He said it was common for homeless to grab a gallon in each hand and simply walk out the door. Most stores have a "no chase" policy on shoplifters. Quick $60 right there. Real decent part of town too.

clem likes this.
  11. Relating to the bike incident, the kind of dishonesty that hurts other people pisses me off the most. It is ironic that Walmart can be so conservative, and yet be so chickenshit.
    I found that the best oil containers to buy, are the containers you are talking about with the ring on the lid that breaks when the bottle is opened.
    I sell oil, and those are the kind of containers we have for most of our products. I have never had a dishonest return problem, but I deal mostly with companies.
    Bob

12. Work in a collision shop, see it all the time from our main OE parts supplier. Door moldings missing the (unavailable seperately) stainless insert, used/damaged parts that have been returned and restocked to be resold, etc. Couple days ago got a used black textured Chevy truck lower bumper panel instead of the $481 dollar "chrome" (plastic) one it was supposed to be.

Seems like I remember a story a few years back when gasoline prices spiked about U-Haul getting lots of trucks back with water used to top off the fuel tanks.

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I went into Lowes to buy some paint for the ceiling of my family room. Some young hot looking babe was working in the paint department. I took the sample card to her and she told me the two gallons would be ready in about twenty minutes. I picked up the two gallons of paint and each had a paint drop on the lid showing the mixed color. I poured the first gallon into the tray and notice that it didn't look like the correct color but I know that sometimes the color changes after it dries. After painting 3/4 of the ceiling, I opened the second can and it matched the paint drop exactly. My guess is that she mixed the first can and put a paint drop on each of the lids from the first batch and then forgot to mix the second can. I went in and complained and finally the manager gave me two new gallons of paint because I said I didn't know how the first one was mixed and didn't want to go through having two different color paints again. When I was in the store about a week later, the same girl was still in the paint department. I though she would have been fired but I'm guessing he just gave her a good tongue lashing.

14. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

My son was in the Lowe's paint dept for 10 years. They call it the 'opps' table. With regard to your story, he says that sometimes people would try to buy that discounted paint off of the 'opps' table, and then ask them to change the its color. In their store, the customer is always clearly told 'Nope'.

15. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

Still Lowe's: bought a new pre-hung front door assembly. Had them mark it and put it aside in the back. When I went to pick it up several weeks later, at first they couldn't find it. Eventually they came out with the door. I stare at it for a while till it dawns on me why nothing is computing in my head; I'm looking at a slightly scratched up door with nail holes in the jamb -- someone installed it, removed it, and returned it. They had to undo the sale and then my son and I had to go to another location to buy the same door. Good thing his employee discount is good in any store, whether they know him personally or not.

Deuces likes this.
  16. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I see alot of people around with the whole dog-eat-dog attitude. The world is so unfair, that you HAVE to scam cheat and sceme to get ahead. Saddly it's a visious cycle. The world keeps getting worse and worse and noone cares because THEY arn't around to see the carnage.

In the end, I'd rather work a little harder and lose a little more and get screwed over, than be ahead because I screwed someone else over. Being able to sleep at night is worth the hastle.

17. I had a buddy growing up who would buy and return specialty tools. Large sockets, snap ring pliers , pullers etc.

I would tell him that’s b.s if you need it but it or rent it don’t pull this garbage.

Thought he was so smart, until his water pump shit the bed, got to the parts place at 9pm just as they where closing got a pump and 2 gallons of coolant.
    Put the pump on and went to pour in the coolant and it was old rusty crap!!!
    I laughed my ass off and told him that it was karma biting him in the ass !!

I like saving money but returning used garbage is just putting far to much effort into being an ass.
    Just work a little harder for what you need.

18. Once in a great while it's a positive thing, My son purchased a replacement mirror from Ford for his o.t. car., "new in the box". Since it was supposed to be generic primer, ready to paint body color, He brought it to me to paint. We take it out of the box, lo and behold it's already painted and it matches his car, a nice metallic gold!

Atwater Mike and Deuces like this.
  19. I hope they're not so "generous" with people returning grocery items. :eek: Probably they are, but hopefully most of it gets scrapped. :p

Reason #60.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Car dealers do this also. Bought a brand new 2018 vehicle from a major brand name dealership. Side camera mirror blind spot indicator stopped working about a month later. Took it to dealer to have it replaced as car was still under warranty. Dealer put it up on the lift, removed the rear valence and found a big dent in the sheet metal undercarriage right where the sensor was mounted. Dealer said the car had obviously been in an accident even though there was no visual damage to the exterior valence, except a broken attachment clip. Was told Warranty wouldn't cover it. That cost me $1500. Dealer wouldn't admit that the car I had bought was a "take home demo" which had been damaged and the rear valence repainted. It was obvious that since it was an untitled car, the dealership didn't report the previous damage and sold it as brand new. The car was never involved in any kind of accident after I bought it so I know I had been cheated.

21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

For your future reference, its a common practice to mix multiple gallons of the "same" color all together before starting to paint. That way , even if one was a little off, at least they are all the same, and nobody will notice where you changed gallons.
    Don t feel too bad, it was a lesson I learned the hard way myself.

s55mercury66 and Deuces like this.
  22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I need to quit reading through this thread... All of the stories of thievery and deception are a big let down.
    I usually like to think 'car people' are generally good people, but must remember there are a few bad eggs out there.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. .............Malcolm, I think that most of the creeps that pull this scam aren't really car guys at all, but just thieves. Like yourself, the more I read this thread, the more pissed off I get!:mad:....................Don.

24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I share my shop with a brother and sister pair of lab/ mutts. I love them dearly but they are both thieves. I quite often have to retrieve something from the yard.

25. X-cpe

X-cpe

I was in the Lowes tool section several years ago. As I walked to the cashier, some guy picked up a couple of large DeWalt boxes and and walked right out the door. He never missed a step or reacted in any way as the cashier yelled at him.

26. 34Larry

34Larry

I have been saying this for
    I live in Federal Way Washington. For a long time the auto parts stores here were so bad in product and help at the counter that I would drive to the neighboring small town to get good service. In the past year or so an Advanced auto store came into town. The service and help are the greatest and my point is that I stopped by and informed them of what happened. It wasn't new news to them and they check every thing being returned. I also called my brother and my auto guru buddy Jim, who actually came over to witness this.
    I know that most likely the scourge of "lower than whale shit" scum can not be spoken to here on HAMB, and I agree with that Rayn, but we know who they are. It will get much worse before it even begins to get better, if ever. I am going today to renew my "carry" permit. May the good Lord prevent me from ever having to even to touch it. (this could be deleted)

Hnstray, Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  27. 34Larry

34Larry

:):D agreed

firstinsteele likes this.
  28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I understand that. It appeared that the toner wasn't even added to the second can.

29. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

If you are purchasing clear plastic encased products, save yourself the agro and pickup a set of hobby lexan scissors. Makes quick work of those sealed blister containers.
    If you hate dealing with jackassery at the store, go to a store that you know will not blindly place things back on the shelf. One of the many reasons I don't shop at Wally-world.

Worked retail in H.S. Return process was a PITA, only people that ever complained were thieves/cheapskate. Had to state on a return form what the problem was, mark the package/item as defective/disliked. Depending on the brands requirements, we often had to return it to manufacture or destroy(costly to ship back) and show documentation(polaroids) of the product before the store would be reimbursed. Lots of mid ticket and above items were never re-shelved if the box was open. Lots of good stuff was binned. If it was sealed, make sure it still is, if not verify that is still has most of the product inside. Liquids could be tricky, people 'not realizing' until after half the product was used up was a bit much. If there was half or more of the liquid inside there was a refund, if it was an empty container, no dice. If there were two of the same liquid item and both were only half way used up, no return.
    When items were sold, if the container/product could be checked prior to purchase it was store policy to do so. Make sure the bottle was still sealed, the box was not opened, roll of paper towels didn't have a defective roll that was plugged with batteries or a wrench.
    Damn things were always falling into paper towels.

Had a habitual comeback customer that purchased a nostalgic clock. Clock was pretty sweet, one of the early retro items that started popping up in the 90's. Wind up wall clock ~$300. Customer was also a known dumpster diver. Returns it complaining that it was missing a hanger and wanted his money back. Box was also missing, he had just bought it ~45mins prior.
    It also just so happened to be the day we normally finalized returns. Items either get shipped back or destroyed. Immediately after the return the supervisor grabs the single jack, Polaroid camera, and clock(only the clock). We go out to the dumpster(parking lot), take a few photos, note the missing hanger/bracket. Guess who is sitting in their car watching us, dumpster diver.
    Supervisor acts like he is simply going to dump the thing undamaged into the dumpster, instead he launches it into the air and it comes back down hard, glass everywhere, picks it up again and slams it to the ground, panels pop off, pulls out the single jack wails on the poor pulp of a clock. Dumpster Diver screaming from his car, 'wait wait wait'.
    Supervisor don't care.
    Annihilates the clock. Diver is shaking, pissed, 'Why did you do that?!?' and he's clutching the missing bracket in his hand.
    Some people have no shame.

30. Can't blame Walmart. They have good customer service. You can't beat their prices. Not the fault of any store that we have these dirt bags walking the streets. They should all be in jail working on a chain gang, instead of a slap on the hand, let go and free handouts.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.