Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Chevy Spark issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Aug 6, 2019.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

So I've been working on this 56 Chevy 210 for a friend gave it a tune-up finished everything up and I'm noticing that the spark comes out the coil as I release the key but while I'm turning the key to crank the engine there is no spark at all out of the coil is it the switch

Sent from my SM-J727T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. banditomerc

banditomerc

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are 2 ways power gets to the coil in the crank mode from the switch and from a small terminal usually marked R on the solenoid

4. 6sally6

6sally6

Hot wire it around the ignition switch!
    6sally6

5. squirrel

squirrel

pretty sure they didn't have the starter R terminal yet in 56. The ignition switch has two terminals, IGN1 and IGN2, one goes to each side of the ballast resistor. If there is something wrong with the switch or wiring, it will do what you describe.

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

I wondered about that too. I was just going off pictures of replacement solenoids. From the wire diagrams I could find for 56 I do not know if they are for 6 cyl it looked like the power from the resister went to the R terminal on the solenoid then to the coil. So there would only be one wire at the coil.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

when you turn off the switch,you are duplicating the closing of the points-check your points ,gap dwell etc.

squirrel likes this.