Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How many of y'all wear rubber gloves when working??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Aug 6, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

I "TRY" but.........just can't get comfortable OR...tear a-hole in it at the worst time.
    6sally6

2. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I hate gloves, I’m really bad about wearing them even when working with harsh chemicals.

bchctybob and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Mac VP

Mac VP

We do in our transmission shop......mainly to keep the nasty grease and oil from getting on the skin. They’re also pretty good at preventing a lot of scraping and gouging from sharp and rough edges on the parts. Old transmission gear oil stinks and the scent will linger on your skin like a skunks perfume for days. Don’t go cheap on the gloves......we buy Thickster brand as they seem to hold up best. Sometimes it’s difficult to pick up tiny oily parts with the gloves but the advantages outweigh the alternatives. If we tear a glove we just grab another......I buy them in boxes of 50.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup

Stogy likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All day, every day.

I watched my Grandfather die from Leukemia, from exposure to automotive chemicals. It was not pretty. He went down hard.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I use 'em when working on greasy stuff, or do not want to get finger prints on clean parts for paint, etc. guess part of it was when in High School working my cars often and hands got so dirty nothing would clean them. used a sturdy scrub brush and comet cleanser and just about scrubbed the skin right off. did not want to put those dirty hands on my beautiful girlfriend. plus, if you nick your skin keeps the blood contained so that you do not drip all over the place. no need to stop for first aide since most bandages won't stick to grease.

olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Nope. I'm going to die a horrible death, some day. But I hope I'm moving really fast, when it happens.

The only time I wear gloves (if I remember) is when dealing with paint or resin. And leather gloves when I'm dealing with scrap metal, etc.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I do. I'm on Plavix and the gloves help reduce scraped knuckles, etc, which in my case bleed and bleed.

slack, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. primed34

primed34

I do if I'm doing something pretty nasty like packing bearings, changing oil, or serious polishing.

bchctybob, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I do, everyday, all day that i'm out in the garage. And when i'm done for the day, i use "Golden Fleese" scrubs and "Dawn" dish detergent to clean up. My old girl friend always said i had "surgeons hands".
    Tom

wingnutz and Stogy like this.
  11. 1ton

1ton

Good rubber gloves in the parts washer, leather while welding and sometimes borrow the wifes dainty gardening gloves with the floral pattern to pull those nasty thistles that she can't get while weeding.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Dyce

Dyce

I do unless it is a very hot day, they make my hands sweat bad.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Absolutely! Diesel fuel smell will linger on your hands for days, it doesn’t bother me in the least, but my wife hates it. Besides, brakleen really dries my hands out. I’m also concerned about chemical absorption through my skin. I really have no desire to get some weird sickness or cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I used Dawn to clean my greasy hands but discovered that it dried my skin so bad that my hands hurt. I have switched to Ivory dish soap and it seems to make a difference, and still cleans well. I have boxes of rubber gloves in the shop and try to use them for real dirty jobs. I also have a heavy duty pair that I use when using my parts washer because the solvent is harsh.

Stogy likes this.
  15. AmishMike

AmishMike

Dawn great for washing oily hands. Sometimes rubber "doc" gloves but end up wondering where water drops comeing from - until realize sweat under the rubber. then they rip & fall apart anyway.

16. belair

belair

Not always. Thankfully my proctologist does.

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

On occasion. Not nearly as much as I should. Hands will probably just rot and fall off sometime.

61Cruiser, 34toddster and Stogy like this.
  18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I try to when working with paint and solvents but don't always remember to put them on. It has been really hot here and when I raise my hand up water literally runs out. I do a pretty good job of wearing mechanics gloves when doing heavy work rather than tearing my hands up. As I get older it seems like I'm always bleeding on what I work on.

61Cruiser, 34toddster and Stogy like this.
  19. patterg2003

patterg2003

Ditto Mac Vp. Good quality disposable mechanics black rubber gloves in boxes of 50's that are chemical resistant for paints, solvents, cleaning parts, old gas, chemicals, etc. I buy them a size larger so they slip on without tearing and chuck them if they tear or fail due to chemicals. I have worn cheap cotton gloves over the chemical resistant disposables for handling parts for painting so as not to leaving any hand oils while handling parts for painting. Lots of chemicals can poison through the skin and wish to avoid a prognosis of liver disease or cancer . Leather gloves as needed. Leather gloves handle abrasion and cuts without complaining better than my hide does. I have worn through pairs of gloves on a construction job and hands with no wear.

clem and Stogy like this.
  20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nope , unless im touchin toxins all day . a little poison builds up your immunity.

silent rick and scrap metal 48 like this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Not very often. "Hand condoms" is what I call them. The cheap latex type gloves make my hands sweat and they drive me nuts, so I only wear them when doing very messy jobs like wheel bearings, oil changes, etc. I use thick, non permeating gloves for chemicals such as lacquer thinner, degreaser, etc. Some of the guys at work wear latex gloves practically the entire shift. Of course, I rib them about it.
    For general engine, suspension work, etc., I first coat my hands with Kerodex 51, which is a barrier coating. Makes for easier cleanup afterwards (using Goop hand cleaner).

[​IMG]

22. 5window

5window

Well, I am a veterinary surgeon, so I wear them all the time. Sometimes in the shop, too, but not always. Depends on what I am getting into. And, it's a lot harder now that the government has outlawed powdered gloves.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nitrile is the material...it's a choice...perhaps a different brand or size...

I work in aviation and have seen many leave the planet prematurely...Was it because of lack of wearing gloves...perhaps partly...

Many of those not wearing protection MAY not die or suffer illness from ingestion through the hands but it could contribute...and again it's a choice and of course a gamble.

A lot of car chemicals are laden with pretty nasty shit...so I do use these throwaways and believe my years of doing so have given me a better chance of enjoying the Hotrod for a little longer.

As alluded many of the greases, oils and sealants get into the skin, are ingested through eating with chemically laden hands. There are so many other ways of getting your unknown chemical fix.

I have witnessed cracked, stained deformed skin from those that never do and then they wipe the dirty hands down with solvent saturated rags...My oil Furnace repairman is like a walking Barrel of furnace oil...I actually suggested he try out nitrile gloves...he's a young Father...I told him I think he should really consider the effects of long term exposure.

Again it's a choice...for most of my garage based chemically laden adventures the gloves are on...and I feel better for it...if it breaks use another your worth it. PPE came a part of my working life...I was fortunate...many others were not...It wasn't a requirement for many of those that worked before me.

Don't even start on smoking and chemicals in the workshop...:eek:

Sorry Stogy's long winded tonight...

Cosmo49, ClarkH, DIYGUY and 11 others like this.
  24. Mahty

Mahty

I wear ‘em. But I like tight fitting rubber coated cut resistant fabric gloves best. They’re not so good for small oily parts, but last days instead of hours. Several different brands out there. Nitrile for rough chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock and Stogy like this.
  25. I wish I could but my hands are awash in sweat in 5 minutes if I wear them. I put up with the sweat if I'm working with paint.

Low Beam and Stogy like this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sometimes

Geo32x3 and Stogy like this.
  27. I have a rare red cell leukemia, plus marrow fibrosis, and because I am not in remission, I am injecting interferon and taking prednisone. After 31 years with this disease, I am one of the very lucky to still be alive.
    The gift of long term use of prednisone, is that it has saved my life, but the side effects are now as bad as the autoimmune problems it is supposed to be controlling. Because of the prednisone, my skin is now like paper, so I constantly have tears and bruises on my legs, arms, and hands.
    I wear leather gloves for heavy work with hand tools, and I wear the nitrile sp, gloves, and sometimes heavy, yellow, chemical gloves over top of the thin gloves when the compound is dangerous and I can do so without causing a problem with grip or dexterity.
    There are still times I am working in grease, but I don't clean my hands with harsh chemicals. I find that washing my hands with hand soap and getting a good lather, before rinsing, I add some dishwater detergent or hand detergent. The combination cleans much better than either product by itself.
    It is important to remember that the skin is an organ, and is permeable, and many new drugs are being administered by using a patch.
    Breathing chemical fumes is also something that should be a concern to all of us. I was just working with Thompson Water Seal today, I painted 5 boards, and tonight I have moderate chest congestion. When you are experiencing congestion, that means the body is reacting to the compound you are breathing. I was outside. Next time I will wear a mask.
    I don't know the right answer, but I do know that once a person has a sign that they are experiencing a problem, there is plenty of time to change.
    Another thing to remember, is that all us old farts, at some time in our lives, probably lived in a place where for mosquito control, they sprayed a foggy mixture of oil and DDT. The bug guy also probably came in once per month and sprayed all the baseboards in the house with toxic chemicals. Sometimes I wonder how the health issues aren't worse than they are.
    Anyone remember spraying DDT with 345T on the lawn. Real toxic crap.
    Bob

alanp561, Mahty, 5window and 3 others like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't all the time I was working as a mechanic but often wear the HF mechanics gloves now. I've got a lot of scars on my hands that gloves might have prevented or lessened though.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that you just get to a well earned rightful old age and I'll extend that to all the other Hoodlums who play the life game no matter how you do it...;)

30. deucemac

deucemac

I hated gloves, too restrictive, to clumsy, and other reasons. After to many tears of not wearing gl8ves, I started reacting to chemicals I had all ways worked with (various solvents, sealers and greases). I reluctantly began to wear gloves and noticed my hands became healthier. I learned to work with them instead of fighting them. I wear different gloves for different tasks and have noticed how much better my hands are. Nowadays, I value the importance of gloves and use them all the time. Chemicals that cut through grease and other things have no problem attacking you skin and also penetraiting the skin and get into the bloodstream. I reluctantly when from a hater of "restrictive gloves" to a believer. Too bad it took damage to get the picture to through my thick Irish head. Gloves come in several varieties and used properly will save your skin and possibly more.