Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941 Cadillac rear main seal replacement

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MikeGerman, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MikeGerman

MikeGerman

Hey guys,
    I am new to this Forum so fist of all Hello on the Honkey Ass Message Board :D

Unfortunately, there is no way around, my rear main seal gasket in my original 1941 Cadillac is leaking too much oil, I have to change it - and take the engine out therefore.
    The engine was overhauled last year, so I do not want to open up the engine.

Do you have any advice like:

1. practical tools for replacing

2. tips while removing the engine, replacing the seal and put the engine in again

3. other things you would do when the engine is out

4. other information that might be useful for me

5. a place where I can find the original engine paint

Thank you guys for your information, I'll start in two weeks when I have vacation and will try to make a daily update - for the next lucky one who will do it...

Best Mike

Attached Files:

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. MikeGerman

MikeGerman

Thanks, @mgtstumpy I am in the CLC Forum so I already viewed that.
    In Addition, I ordered a "Sneaky Pete", Lisle PartsNr. 27000 tool for (de-)installation.
    Question is if anyone here made some experience doing this work on a 1940-1948 engine.

Thanks and best
    Mike

4. thekid1950

thekid1950

Mike

I've had rear seals leak. It's very frustrating. You end up parking your car on the street so you don't stain & mark up your buddy's driveway. I researched rear seal replacement on various forums and found some instances, where after all the work replacing one, it STILL leaked. In the past, I even sold a car, because it leaked and I didn't want deal with it anymore. The buyer was aware of it, but was willing to deal with it.

I have created a system that catches the leaking oil. I know, it sounds crazy and "undesirable". But it has worked for me....on 4 different cars, with the same result...no more leaving an oily trail of where I've been. I'm able to monitor the amount of oil in the "catch bin" by watching the oil level on the dip stick. My system has worked for years. I've even thought of writing an article and submitting it to the hobby world to help my fellow car friends. Maybe now is the time.....

This might be an alternative for you or for others who see this post. I need to go to work now, but I'll come back tonight to continue detailing my technique.

squirrel, Texas Webb and Hnstray like this.

5. Welcome to the HAMB. :)

Though... it actually stands for the Hokey Ass Message Board. :p We pretty much accept all Hot Rodders regardless of their religious beliefs, nationalities or ethnic backgrounds. There's even a lot of Canadians and Australians here and nobody seems to mind one way or the other. :rolleyes:

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. But seriously... On a more helpful note...

Make sure the crank case venting is free and clear. Check the oil fill cap if it is vented and clean or replace if needed. Make sure there's nothing blocking the road draft tube. Older rear main seals tend to seep a little bit at their best. If your building excessive crankcase pressure it will just make the problem that much worse.

Wonder if there's some way to add an actual PCV system to this engine without having to cobble things up too much and ruining the looks of the engine?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. thekid1950

thekid1950

8. thekid1950

thekid1950

Had a crazy busy day.....I'm tired.
    I'll continue my post later this week

9. I found this a long time ago, the LaSalle is the same as the Cadillac OILSEAL.jpg

ClayMart, MikeGerman and 302GMC like this.
  10. MikeGerman

MikeGerman

Thanks thekid1950, a friend of mine has something similar to Keep his garage clean and everywhere he goes. I am considering this AS SOON AS it is just dripping a Little. Right now, the engine is loosing too much.
    PS: Take your time and thanks. All answers are appreciated!

And thanks to 46international, the Selfstarter is the CLC-Magazine which always holds some useful information!

11. That sure looks like a fairly simple, elegant solution. Almost looks like a GM issued field-fix for the problem. :cool:

12. could be, I got that article from a Cadillac LaSalle club magazine when I belonged years ago.

13. MikeGerman

MikeGerman

Hey guys,
    just for your information.
    I had to open up the engine and replaced the seal. There was almost nothing left. They used a lot of silicone and I just found very little traces of the old main seal. I needed almost a week but not it is done and the engine is not leaking anymore.
    Best Mike

harpo1313, VANDENPLAS and leon bee like this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Thanks for letting us know Mike.