Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tear in Radir slick, fixable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deescott, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deescott

Deescott

26F1A022-7940-447A-AEA2-C9558201D346.jpeg A3DEEC08-49A4-47E3-A628-6C3B1097576A.jpeg Anyone have experience with a torn slick? Normal tire shop said they can’t repair. It’s about an inch long. Slicks are about a year old and close to 5,000 miles, but I’d like to save them at least for around town. They are not used for racing. Tubes? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks to anyone that has experience with these that has a solid answer. Please refrain from being an asshole if possible, especially if you have no real answer.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Gasser 57, -Brent- and chevy57dude like this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Ha! That's funny......make a swing out of it.

3. In the old days they'd put a boot (very large patch) in there and use a tube. Not considered a 'good' repair even back then, I doubt if you could find the boot these days...

slowmotion and Hnstray like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Fixable...seriously ?
    Not to give you a bad time...but...

Actually...there is a fix...a new tire.

Mike

5. Deescott

Deescott

Not even a year on the road, so I gotta ask! Buying another is out of my budget right now.

6. BJR

BJR

Did they come with a road hazard warrantee?

da34guy likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"they are not used for racing"...........I gotta ask....then why are they on your car? They ARE racing tires...not designed for, or intended for, street use. What part of that do you not understand?

And....the number of posts that attempt to justify their attempt to use, fix or half ass something because of their "budget constraints" is tiresome.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  8. Deescott

Deescott

Really? That’s no help at all.

9. No. Period.

X-cpe and Deescott like this.
  10. Deescott

Deescott

I had to ask! They aren’t cheap.

11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

A nail hole is one thing, but I wouldn't mess with a 1" long "tear" due to possible casing damage.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. slowmotion

slowmotion

I used to put 'boots' in my bicycle tires. Always ended up with a slight 'thump' at speed...Never considered it for a car tire. Still wouldn't.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slicks and around town dont mix.
    So you repair it and are determined to run around town on very dodgy bald tires, think of the family coming the other way.

14. Deescott

Deescott

That’s what I was thinking, but like I said, I gotta ask. Thanks

Black_Sheep likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Considering they are recaps I’d imagine this is what happens before you have the huge chunk fly off the tread like you see from time to time.

Is the cut all the way threw or just in the tread?

16. Deescott

Deescott

I’m asking the question because tires are pluggable and repairable. I’m also asking because I don’t know if these are repairable. I wouldn’t drive around on anything dodger or unsafe- yet another reason to ask the question. Slicks are bald, yes, but not unsafe to drive around on except in wet or rainy conditions.

17. Deescott

Deescott

Not recaps, Radirs are real slicks. And yes, they don’t hold air.

18. Deescott

Deescott

Thanks for an actual answer.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I doubt the casing is stiff enough to keep a boot from peeling off, but you could try it. You will need to run a tube in it to try and keep the boot pressed against the casing. I’ve ran boots in lots of tires, but never tried it on a slick. Probably cost you $50 for a boot and a tube, 1/2 the price of a new tire.

Deescott likes this.
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

I think you already knew the correct answer, but were hoping against hope that someone could pluck a magic glue stick out of their ass.
    I guess that means parking it or a couple of maypops from the used store.

Deescott likes this.
  21. Deescott

Deescott

You nailed it!

22. On a positive note, your other slick is probably fine. It'll be a good spare when you get a new pair. I feel your pain, Radirs aren't cheap.

Deescott likes this.
  23. Bluestone

Bluestone

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just in an attempt to answer your question; have you tried a big truck service type center? Or someone who does implement tires. Those tires are huge and expensive, so trying to save/repair one is common practice. If one of those places can't or won't try to repair it, then you're most likely stuck. How was the slick damaged, or was it just a "thin spot" to begin with? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Its one thing to patch/plug a hole, but a 1"slice compromises the belts and under pressure the tear could increase and the tire come apart, any type of fix is just to get you home

dirty old man likes this.
  26. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Anyone have experience with a torn slick? Normal tire shop said they can’t repair. It’s about an inch long. Slicks are about a year old and close to 5,000 miles, but I’d like to save them at least for around town. They are not used for racing. Tubes? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks to anyone that has experience with these that has a solid answer. Please refrain from being an asshole if possible, especially if you have no real answer.[/QUOTE]
    Seriously??? 5000 miles is like 2500 passes at the strip!!

27. Recaping is the only way that tire could be fixed, I honestly believe it's time for a new tire. HRP

dirty old man and Deescott like this.
  28. Our society is so lawsuit paranoid, I doubt you'd ever find a shop that would touch it.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt seriously that many Radar slicks ever make a real pass down the strip. Most of them are on cars belong to posers wanting people to think they have a race car.
    Having spun out on wet pavement when caught in sudden rain storms on three different occasions when running N 50 Firestones with tread I sure wouldn't want to be caught in any sudden storm with slicks on. It's not if it will happen but when if you actually drive the car. All three times it happened to me it was within 10 miles of the house (twice in Texas/once here) and the sun was shining when I left the house.

As for that slick it might make a cute tire swing for someone but that is all it is good for with that cut in it or make a planter out of it. Then go buy a pair of real tires.

dirty old man likes this.
  30. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

" I’m also asking because I don’t know if these are repairable. "
    " And yes, they don’t hold air. "

Hi Deescott,

Are both tires damaged ?
    Do you know what or when the damage occurred ? Like, hitting a road hazard, or spontaneously, out of the blue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.