Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wondering if this is happening in any other part of the USA & world ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 6, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I experienced something I had never seen in my entire 80 year life.
    I purchased two (4) qts. containers of trans fluid for my newly rebuilt
    727 . I of course needed to keep track of how many qts. were
    going in and so I was in the process of transferring from the (4) qt. container to a (1) qt. container. I broke the seal on the (4) qt. and began to pour into the (1) qt with a funnel when I noticed immediately the fluid from the (4) qt. was clear and as thin as water,...........
    because it was water. The fluid is Valvoline Dex-Merc and is colored a reddish of course. I could not believe this and checked the other (4) qt. and it was okay. I continued on with that and took the "water" back to Walmart yesterday morning. Lucky the manager of the auto section was there and I had wondered just how I was going to explain it with out looking like I was being the bad guy. He said after my lengthy description, "No problem, it happens all the time".

"What", ............really I said". "Yup", says he, " they can pry the seal ring just enough to unscrew the cap, use the fluid, refill the container with water, put the cap back on and return it with some excuse and get the purchase price in returned cash as long as they have the receipt" He also said it is happening with any and all plain motor oil. So you might check that it is motor oil instead of something else, (like maybe pee), instead of just cracking the container and assuming that as always,it is motor oil, and pouring it in the motor.
    (Comment): ??????????????????? WTF is this world becoming?
    I'll not just assume much of anything any more, you even have to check your drive in burger order now days.
    He exchanged it for, four qts. and was on my way.
    Anybody else have an experience like this ???

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Just like the ice cream lickers.

Truck64, samurai mike, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

The other day I saw an article about self-check grocery scams. I'll stick to being honest.

nochop, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  4. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

They shouldn't accept returns on fluids and things like that IMO. Sad that people are always trying to cheat and steal everything.

Truck64, nochop, Deuces and 3 others like this.

5. Lol. I worked at an urban auto parts store. It happens. Used shocks, reglued into carefully opened boxes. We opened everything. Oil included, just like you said. 30 years back. Welcome to the neighbor"hood".

bobss396, tractorguy, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. I was told a similar story a short time ago. I believe it was Walmart and involved oil. The only difference was that the thief poured his old dirty oil back into the container. Might be hard to notice if you were in a hurry.

Deuces, 49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just stop the planet, I wanna' get off. Gypsies, tramps, and thieves; like Cher sang. I think if I were that auto parts manager, I'd be checking things very closely myself, since he says, "it happens all the time". So what, the returned merchandise goes right back onto the shelf, where another unsuspecting customer gets it? And what if they're not paying attention when they do their oil/trans fluid change? Will Walmart take responsibility for ruining someones engine/transmission? Just stop the planet, I wanna' get off. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

harpo1313, gggholson, RDR and 6 others like this.
  8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

My God ! I am so sick for my kids and grandkids living in this day and age of no respect for others.

9. Reason #58 to not shop at W*lM*rt. :oops:

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe it's because we have social media where everything is reported , but it seems that the bad people and deeds are starting to up the count against the good people and deeds .

11. Just had that happen @ an ORiellys, bought 8 new plugs for the sedan delivery, got home and all 8 in the box es were used and not even the same # Ordered Ar133's and the used 1's were Delco 45 ts. Noo
    problem too return.

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I bought two spray bombs of VHT header paint once that wouldn't spray. I noticed the center of the price stickers were discolored and looked like something had soaked into them. I peeled one back and found a small hole drilled into the can, peeled the other sticker back and found it also had a small hole drilled into the can. Someone had used the paint, drilled the holes and filled the cans with water then returned them.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You can blame it on the have nots, there is so many playing societee to the hilt that it's sad. The drugs bring on a breed of thieves that steal from the government, SSI, any retailer possible and your garage. It totally pisses me off that these people get disability from taking drugs. I know one gal that got in trouble for stealing 4k in things from an apt. building and got off because of her drug disability. That's wacked.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. That is true. I’m in the Auto parts business. See returns all the time from repair shops returning used brake pads, bearings as new. They say thats how they received them. On the retail side it is getting worse. We are looking at every part that comes back to the store and asking about the return.
    Getting very difficult to trust people.

loudbang, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Decadence breeds dishonesty.

Hnstray, pwschuh and Deuces like this.
  16. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

My ex said that people do that with paint at Lowes
    Scumbags

Deuces likes this.
  17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Bought a case of par 38 light bulbs, sealed case.
    Of the 12 bulbs, 10 were used and dead, 2 were good but used!
    Brought the case back to Lowes, explained to the customer service person what had happened.
    Got the "stink eye":confused:, but they took them back and issued a refund!
    The world is full of liars and cheats, and it is getting worse every day!
    KK

Deuces likes this.
  18. Read Plato's The Republic.

Might surprise you.

Ben

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seems like a lot of work being dishonest, what the hell, they can't be using it, must be selling it on that auction site that (some) of us love, wonder what kind of shipping container they're using.
    Maybe they are filling 55 gallon drums one gallon at a time.
    I always found it pretty easy putting in a days work, but I've said it before, the scumbags of the world have all day to dream up new scams.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    RDR, KoolKat-57, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. Some of the parts places are just as bad. I bought an alternator for my DD at Advance that turned out to be defective. I returned it and got another one. It charged OK but the bearing screamed like a banshee. When I exchanged that one they gave me the one I returned the first time. I could tell because of some marks on it. Without a word he went back and got me another one. I kind of went off about putting defective parts back on the shelf and wasting my time and gas but was ignored. I assume it was not store policy and just a lazy/uncaring manager. Never went back no matter how convenient it was.

KoolKat-57, Deuces, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  21. Fortunately, I have been fortunate thus far and have not experienced any of those problems. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  22. I got a brick in a car stereo box once... fortunately I opened it in the store to check the hardware kit

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It blows my mind that people invest so much of their energy, ingenuity, and creativity into being absolutely worthless piles of shit. What a complete lack of respect we have for each other.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

This is depressing.

2OLD2FAST, RDR, seb fontana and 2 others like this.
  25. pitman

pitman

Sow what you prefer to reap. :)

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes the bags of slime are almost psychedelically stupid, too.
    My junkyard of choice had someone come in asking for directions to cars of his brand. Needed shocks, so obviously not very rich buying used ones...they sent him off in the direction he needed.
    Half an hour later, they saw him sneak past the office and heave some shocks over the fence. He ran through the gate.
    About 30 seconds later, he reappeared clutching the shocks and screaming mad!
    The yard people by now were amused and fascinated by the unrolling story, so they calmed him down to marginally coherent and got the story: The evil stolen shocks, after their airmail trip over the fence, had both gone through the windshield of the gentleman's parked car!
    Obviously, since the shocks belonged to the junkyard (Hey! was that a confession?), the junkyard owed him a new windshield...
    A junkyard is a wonderful place to observe greed and stupidity...

27. Folks have tried that with used parts I sold them. They bring back their old part expecting me to refund their money. Chevy cly heads are the worst. They bring me their old vatted cracked heads and state after they vatted the heads you sold me we found they are cracked. When I cant find my hidden mark. I tell them the guy must of got your heads mixed up with someone elses. these are not the ones I sold you.I always put a hidden mark on everything that way I know if it the same item I sold.

28. We where in the tire and flat fixing business. This older guy brings a rear tractor flat and leaves it. We break it down find the leak and patch it . put it together and inflate . mark the PSI in the sidewall. the next day he picks it up and pays my eldest son. my son checked the air pressure still the same. A hour later the guy comes back mad. claims the tire went flat before he ever got it out of the back of his truck. He is being a turd to my son. I come out of the shop and look the tire over. then I question the guy real good. Ask him point blank if he ever remove it from his truck? asked did he ever have it on his tractor? He answered Hell No. Then I stated that's really odd look here. I cant believe we didn't see that deer antler stuck in the tire when we fixed it. He had run over a deer shedded antler. I called him a lying cheating asshole. I Went and retreved his check and gave it back too him. Ran him off told him don't even wave when you drive past.

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"It blows my mind that people invest so much of their energy, ingenuity, and creativity into being absolutely worthless piles of shit."

How else will they achieve their ultimate potential?

30. I had to chime in on this one...I have had part-time retail jobs since 1978...my current part-time job is at the local Home Depot and the stuff that these scum bags bring back is amazing...they would bring back a 16' foot piece of lumber that was cut down to 12 feet (put the UPC tag back on the 12 foot piece)....how about bags of ready mix cement that was allowed to get wet and cure than then bring the cured bags bac in for a refund...I remember a Milwaukee angle grinder that came back and they resealed the box and put a red brick in it so the clerk who was doing the returns that day assumed it had the tool in it...most recently we had a package of qty. 5 6" sanding discs come in last week...the scum bag that returned them used 2 of them and brought the other 3 back for a full return...
    the current "look at me" "selfie" generation is making me sick to my stomach...
    my 2 cents
    MikeC