Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Insulate Fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeggySue, Aug 5, 2019.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Have the red Holly low pressure pump mounted on rubber underneath in front of tank. When I was in a shop for exhaust repair, one of the mechanics said I could insulate the pump to help reduce the whine sound, not wrap tight, but in a box of some type. I always thought it would built heat more and not good for it. Anyone else done this, if so what did you use?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt that will help, I think it's the vibration that makes most of the noise. At least that's how it seems in my car. The rubber mount probably is not resilient enough, if it's the normal design that comes with the pump.

If your engine is not loud enough to overcome the noise of the pump, you probably could get by with a quieter pump, eh?

Hombre and '51 Norm like this.
  3. PeggySue

PeggySue

The exhaust has a pretty good rumble to it, its when your in the back of the car you can hear the whine. Probably look at a in tank this next winter. Thanks

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If you "insulate" it, it'll have no outside cooling, and most likely have an early failure, at the most inopportune time.
    Electric motors do not...like to run hot..!
    The mounting that comes with those Holley (not Holly) pumps isn't enough to quell the (as squirrel says) the vibration. Vibration = noise.
    I mounted my pump on a plate that is insulated at the frame, then the pump is insulated at the plate. Far from quiet, but much better than just the Holley rubber ring.

Mike

leadsled likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't worry about the insulation causing an early failure, at the most inopportune time. I keep a spare pump with me, because of the high probability of early failure at the most inopportune time, even when it gets plenty of airflow.

6. I used an over the counter exhaust hanger. The one with a piece of "belting" between the perforated strap and the clamp. Pump in clamp. Strap bolted to frame. Silent.

Ben

'51 Norm and squirrel like this.
  7. PeggySue

PeggySue

Thanks may give that a try

8. squirrel

squirrel

That would be worth a try.

Although the last time I went looking for an exhaust hanger like that, for an exhaust pipe, I couldn't find one.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

I miss the stewart warner 240 it's shame they quit making them.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. I use a Carter marine pump on my '40 coupe. Mounted adjacent to the tank using rubber about 1/4 inch thick to absorb the vibration. Very quiet now.

11. PeggySue

PeggySue

I had a piece of heavy 1/2" rubber I cut a strip 3"x12" and made my own attachment bracket ,so the rubber hangs free. The pump is mounted to just the rubber. Have it all in place just have to do finishing touches tomorrow.

firstinsteele likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

let us know what happens!

PeggySue likes this.
  13. Mimilan

Mimilan

Use Air Cond Condenser rubber isolating mounts from a Japanese car, they are quite soft and insulate sound quite well.
    The downside is they normally have metric threads [but I used metric rivnuts into the frame]

And mount the pump to the frame ,not the body.
    ACP6069-lrg.jpg

14. squirrel

squirrel

you can buy the American version of those, in several sizes, from McMaster Carr

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I still would not insulate any electrical (motor) pump..! Why hasten failure ?
    They need some form of cooling...such as...airflow.
    Some of the heavy rubber ideas above are worth a try.

Mike

16. squirrel

squirrel

The Holley pumps that died on me probably didn't die from heat, but I suppose they could, if you tried.

17. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I get alittle fancy myself.

I use the rubber isolators from the 80`s, 90`s mustang air boxes which look like the above double studded isolator.

On my Mallory pump I use 4 isolators but on the top 2 I build a couple straps out of 1/8" stainless cable with electrical eyelets soldered on each end of the cables and mount it on each side of the rubber isolator pump to mount this way it does 2 things, 1_ it's a great ground cable and 2_ should the isolator break the cables hold the pump instead of the fuel hoses.

If I get it dug out I'll post a pic....

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought a case of them when the auto parts store was auctioned

19. Mimilan

Mimilan

We can get those off the shelf over here as well with imperial fasteners.
    But I've found that used Jap Car mounts from the local "U Pull" were a lot quieter

20. jazz1

jazz1

I have two sets of rubber insulators on my Carter fuel pump and it still whines, not as loud as when I first fastened without insulators. Can't hear it once engine is running, isolate with rubber bushing under the pump as well as on top so the fastening bolt is totally isolated from touching the metal on pump and car frame..

21. Do Not insulate your pump the cooler an electric motor is the longer it will last. There is some good advice here about mounting I use a 1/8" piece of cloth impregnated rubber. I don't mind being able to hear mine. Helps me remember to shut it off when I stop the engine.

22. PeggySue

PeggySue

Started the car this morning being the pump is basically mounted just a couple things to finish. 100% better. Could put my head down by the back tire, still couldn't hear the pump.

squirrel likes this.
  23. PeggySue

PeggySue

Many ways of doing it, but this worked for me, absolutely no noise coming from pump. Mounted on 1/2" rubber. The hanger for the rubber is mounted to a flat plate, I had the pump mounted on before that goes from 1 gas tank strap to the other

Attached Files:

KoolKat-57 and squirrel like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Walbro pump in the tank on my 442 and I have one just like it in the tank on my 34. I cant hear either one once the car is running. And as a plus, I don't have to look at them. :cool: Another one will be finding a home in the tank on my 41 truck this fall.