Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would anyone run this intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I picked up this '57 220hp 283 intake a while back and haven't been able to find it a new home. Casting number is 373139. Beside going on a complete resto, is it any good performance-wise? I was curious how well they do compared to a later 60s 4bbl piece. Specifically if it would do anything for my 327 I just put together from junk parts. I do know the carb flange is different, and I do have an adapter to put a regular square Holley on it.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I've put some miles on one of those...on a stock 283. If you need an intake for a 327, and you have that one, it will work.

Can you do better? sure.

3. Crayons

Crayons

The Edelbrock aluminum Performer would be a better choice. They must have made millions of these. You can usually pick them up used for 50 bucks or cheaper. Will you notice a difference. ...I doubt it.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you're building an older looking 327, the Performer will look out of place to some of us. I expect it would indeed work better, though.

tractorguy and Deuces like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know how it works but it's one homely intake, I'd plug the cross over.

6. 1ton

1ton

The oil filler tube sticking up in the front of the intake made it a lot easier to fill. FWIW

61Cruiser and Deuces like this.
  7. I would certainly run it, particularly if it was just for the street.
    Bob

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. Beautiful Iron

Beautiful Iron
    from Upstate NY

Id run it- with the overspray fade job and everything

Deuces and CornfieldPerformance like this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If you have an earlier 327 with the Power Pack heads, this manifold will fit just fine, as far as the ports matching up goes. If the 327 has 1.94, or 2.20 intake valves, keep looking for a better intake that will match the ports better. Why choke it down when you don't have too? I also don't really care for carburetor adapters, unless that is the only way to get the engine running. I'd still use a Carter WCFB or Rochester 4-jet; just off a bigger engine as possible (ie 327 or 348). Someone said they'd even leave the paint on it alone. Back in the Junior Stock Drag Racing Class days, the tech inspectors would "seal" an engine with spray paint, so they'd know if it was tampered with after being teched in. Some of those engines got colorful after going through tech at several different meets. As far as your question, "Would anyone run this intake?"; I would and did, with just the carburetors I mentioned. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. I can remember back to the days when I'd have loved to have it. Of course, I wouldn't have had the money to buy a carburetor.

61Cruiser likes this.
  11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I'm running a '61 version on a 305 with a square flange adapter, Summit 600 cfm carb and the exhaust passages plugged. Runs good.

Gary

61Cruiser and Deuces like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF you are actually going to run a WCFB that bolts to it I don't see an issue outside of maybe a little lost performance that may or may not be noticeable on the street.
    I can't see wanting to run it if you have to use/buy and adapter to bolt your carb to it though.
    I ran a cast iron 300 hp 327 intake on several engines I had over the years including the 283 that I pulled from my T bucket and put in my 48, the 350 that replaced it and then the 307 we stuck in my son's 70 C 10. The engine ended up in a 68 C 10 after I rolled the 70 and got sold with it but that was one good all around intake.

Deuces likes this.
  13. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Check with one of your boating buddies, they make great anchors.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Slap a 4G or 4GC carb on it and you will be early 60's poor boy stout.

Deuces likes this.
  15. carbking

carbking

My calibrated eyeball cannot read the ruler you placed on the intake.

Take the intake to a machine shop. Have the exhaust crossover ports plugged. Acquire one of the 700 CFM Rochester 4-Jets, and make a tracing of the throttle bores. Take that to the machine shop and have the manifold throttle bores milled accordingly. Can you say "street sleeper"? ;)

"But dude, its a 283. Look at the intake and the small Rottenchester, you just had an off-night, but pay me" ;)

Jon.

Deuces, j-jock, 61Cruiser and 2 others like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave the cross over alone. Find a nice Rochester 4GC and run it. Fina 59-60-61 air cleaner too.
    The carb heat will help with fuel milage and winter driving.

Deuces and tractorguy like this.
  17. I have one on my 283 that’s in my T. Work’s okay, but make sure you find the a carburetor stud with a hole in it. Because that’s your vacuum .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and 61Cruiser like this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a few of the 265, 4 barrel intake manifolds, but also have a 225 HP, early 56, dual quad setup. The reason I'm responding to the "great anchors" comment, is because I also have one of these same manifolds; looks exactly the same except for an extra boss by the T-housing, and 4 bosses plugged with small pipe plugs in the runners; 2 on each side. And, it's made of aluminum, and has the Winters Foundry "snowflake"! Of course, it was advertised as a "Corvette" intake manifold, but I knew what it really was, from a boat, although a lot of guys say tanks used them also (it has some drab green paint in spots). It's not corroded, so it was't used in salt water. I plan on seeing how much my nephew can mill as much of the boss as possible away; he has his own aerospace machine shop. Kinda neat manifold. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Wow, I hadn't checked back on this thread, didn't expect all the great replies! I ended up cleaning up the old Weiand Stealth for this engine, but knowing it could be a decent piece I'm going to keep my eyes out for a Rochester and keep it for the next project.