Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical clutch and brake pedal firewall seal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lrs30, Aug 5, 2019.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Looking for ideas and tips on sealing up my pedals on my 32 3 window. And so I am probably over thinking this but was thinking of using rubber material like a inner tube with a slit around the pedal with a plate steel frame around it mounted to the floor. That way it would be flat and should lay under whatever flooring i end up going with down the road, seems to me that it should work pretty good keeping fumes out of the cabin. Any thoughts or other ideas, pictures to share would be great. Thanks

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Will the original style fit? Usually a foam pad that glues onto the bottom of the floor or slit donuts that go on the pedal arm.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Not sure I haven’t thought about original style since it’s all aftermarket stuff and a glass body, might have to look into it.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Try Mac's Auto Parts

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

IMAG1364.jpg I'm still doing what worked in the 1950s,I put extra layer of rug under the reg rug,with just slits for pedal arms as wiper. When it gets to sloopy,I replace. Acts as wiper an seal for water splash an holds out most motor heat. Just junk rug from trash pile,dose not need to be same as top rug. OK sorry,may be you wanted too buy,send lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ an paper mock up, LOL

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    s55mercury66 and lrs30 like this.
  6. Look @ JJ's Rods for his steering column and brake boots. Killer and just about air tight.

lrs30 likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now that we have some info to go on.
    The pedal(s) and how they are mounted also have bearing on the ease to install and remove pedals (after body is mounted) which dictates the size of hole cut in the floor/firewall, in my case the hole needed to be larger than what I liked. I made an aluminum plate that sort of has to be fed around the brake/clutch pedals, haven't done the actual seals yet.
    It's just a matter of being creative, no one style fits all the different ways a car can be built.
    In the case of my roadster which is a Wescott fiberglass body, it took more than one attempt to get it where I was satisfied, not sure I won't try another one down the road.

20190805_164158.jpg 20190805_164115.jpg

8. I've always used inner tube, then jute style mat and carpet. HRP

Cliff Ramsdell and lrs30 like this.
  9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Same here. I sliced up an old inner tube and made seals for my pedals, shift tower and parking brake handle and it cut down the air flow thru the holes by about 90%.

Huge difference is the summer when the hot air is blowing into a closed car.

Cliff Ramsdell

lrs30 likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Innovations in the field start with companies like JJ's Rods. Their history goes back to the 60s in the California hot rod scene and continues, today with awards galore. Here is a post from a while back on the award and great innovation to seal the fumes on all hot rod steering columns. Perhaps, they now have the floor units ready, too. It looks to be super high quality.

If the product were around when I had my first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, that would have solved the leakage problem. The sedan delivery needed holes and cracks sealed from the time I purchased it. My efforts with rubber, cloth, glue, resin, and metal worked somewhat, but JJ's custom unit would have been the answer back then.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/steering-column-seal.1129176/#post-12822210

Jnaki
    http://www.jjsrods.com/
    If another hot rod were to be built or modified, this is the first item to go in place. If they do not have a unit like you need, the idea of a metal plate with a slit rubber seal would probably work until it doesn't. Constant use and wear are the culprits. Unless there is something on the market that is so slick and flexible that it moves with the pedals going up and down, but stops at the floorboard coming up. Now, that would be total sealing.

kadillackid likes this.
  11. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Sweep.PNG
    I plan to use door sweep like the picture on my '32.