Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ruins of Detroit/Industrial Archeology Trip Planned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Need help from you Detroit locals. Looking for the original locations of Gratiot Auto Supply and the Hot Rod Shop. Anybody know? Are the buildings still there? The ad says 9146 Gratiot Ave., but Google Maps street view shows new buildings under construction at that location. Thanks for any help here.

Also need background info on where the Ramchargers were located. Did they have a dedicated shop for their racecars? Dunno....

Some info here from two old threads:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...upply-the-worlds-largest-hot-rod-shop.282960/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-the-hot-rod-shop-in-detroit.279698/

And here:

https://www.allpar.com/racing/ramchargers.html

From the 1958 Autorama:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Hombre, quick85, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  2. A whole other trip might be dedicated to Detroit-based music and the venues that featured bands and iconic musicians. Like the Vanity Ballroom:

dan31, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  3. While I admire their spirit, I can't recommend what these guys are doing. And what a surprise to learn that they have sponsorship through a corporate advertiser. Exploring several auto factories in Detroit:

And here, the old AMC factory:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    quick85, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  4. derbydad276

derbydad276

The Original Ramchargers Store
    Is now a heating & cooling shop the Livonia shop also repurposed
    The downriver Gratiot also repurposed

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Me and my wingman- TomT here on the HAMB- rolled back into Richmond last night after midnight from our trip to Detroit. What a great place, and what wonderful people- maybe some of the finest in the world. Everywhere we heard the same mantra about the city and surrounding area: "Don't believe the hype, come here and experience Detroit for yourself."

Truer words were never spoken. For me the trip was a bucket list item and it was checked off with memories that far exceeded my expectations. You helped make a dream come true.

Over the next couple days look for pictures and commentary, but first, thank you to everybody who guided us and advised on what to see, where to go, and where to get a good meal. Great advice at each turn. To return the favor, if anyone would like to plan a similar trip, please please reach out to TomT or me and we will share everything we learned. If you are a car guy with an interest in history and a sense of adventure, an automotive industrial archeology tour of the Motor City is not to be missed.

Thanks again, guys. You all are the very best!

6. Just South of Toledo, one of these Ford GT supercars blew past us. While not HAMB-friendly, we took it as a sign from the Good Lord that our trip had his blessing. Our Hertz rental was willin', but no way we could even think about keeping up.

[​IMG]

First stop in town was Vinsetta Garage owned and operated by the son of the '32 Deuce Coupe builder, Chili Catallo. Fun place, good food, jammed with everybody having a good time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. This little pastry and coffee shop was typical of the many "shoots of green" that are popping up all over the metro Detroit area. In an otherwise grim area, it offered a good breakfast and a clean, quiet spot. The owners are to be congratulated. Quite welcoming to us Southern boys.

[​IMG]

What a surprise in our first museum stop at the Henry Ford than to find the old Summers Brothers' streamliner, stuck off to one side with the trains and streetcars. There is a major racing retrospective scheduled to open in 2020. Perhaps this historic vehicle will get a more prominent and appropriate spot in the museum.

[​IMG]

If you have an interest in The Antiquated on the HAMB, then there is plenty at the Henry Ford to keep you occupied:

[​IMG]

Between the Henry Ford Museum and the adjacent Greenfield Village, we spent most of the day and didn't get to it all. There is lots to take in, as we were warned:

[​IMG]

After dinner on our second night we stumble across the Ford Highland plant, where the moving assembly line really came to light and was perfected. We weren't prepared for the scale of the deserted complex. In the fading light of the day, it was a spiritual experience. What a shame that virtually no restoration work has been done. It is sacred ground. You can sense the ghosts of auto workers past all around.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    lothiandon1940, Never2low and Deuces like this.
  8. If you love art- and especially contemporary expressions- then Detroit must be Mecca because sculpture and painting are everywhere you drive and walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The signs of hope and change, that is, the green shoots of Spring that always appear after a devastating event....one small example where the artists, a not-for-profit, and the Los Angeles-based architecture firm of Lorcan O'Herlihy have come together is the complex surrounding the African Bead Museum. Read more here:

https://archpaper.com/2019/06/african-bead-museum-renovation-lorcan-oherlihy/

And here, the website for the firm which believes architecture is a social and cultural act:

http://loharchitects.com/

The sculpture park- which includes several square blocks adjacent to the museum- is fun, whimsical, puzzling, and will put a smile on your face. Other examples are all over the metro area. This one is not alone. The common thread is expression, recycling, innovation, self-expression and private vision. It is good to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where art thrives, hope lives. The artist transforms materials, and in so doing, transforms the landscape where the work is displayed and is himself transformed. There is a bright future for the city.

Site plan:

[​IMG]

If you want to read more and see stunning photographs of what is happening all around the city, order a copy of French photographer Michael Arnaud's book:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. Thanks for taking us along, Pete...................................Don.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Another example of a small business fighting the good fight is this bookstore up Woodward Ave. away from the city in Birmingham, MI. In addition to their excellent selection of auto books and related, they sponsor Cars & Coffee on Saturdays (check their Facebook page for dates).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This tasty example of a fine little hauler with CA historical vehicle plates was there this past Saturday (along with a good smattering of vintage Porsches), parked out front on Woodward:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  11. Exploring the ruins of the once mighty Big Three auto industry....

Several factory and manufacturing sites are wide open, no fencing, no security, access is a matter of parking your car and walking in. Others- such as the Packard plant- are fenced and have 24-hour private guards who are aggressive and suspicious. There is junk and debris everywhere, and the grass can be high, up past your knees. Be careful. These are dangerous places where it is easy to get hurt. There isn't anybody around to help you if you get into trouble.

Yes, let me say this...in our 5 days in Detroit, we saw a grand total of 2 police cars. We were all over the city. One followed us for several blocks, but lost interest. Maybe it was the California plates on our rental car. Dunno. But my point is, there won't be anyone around if you need help.

At Packard, we never got out of our vehicle, but were flagged down by the private security guard anyway. She wanted to know if we were planning on trespassing into the building. She warned against it (the roof is falling in). After assuring her that we were just two old guys with an interest in history, she warmed up. The guard told us that every day, every hour of the day, somebody from somewhere around the world was traveling to Detroit to see these ruins.

In other words, as soon as she saw us circling the block in our rental with CA plates , the guard already knew what we were up to.

The city is sitting on a gold mine with respect to visitors and these old sites. There are tours and tour guides available. We were offered an on-site visit to one factory, but declined. Do your research, investigate your guides whoever you choose, and be sensible. Guides can be invaluable in terms of where to go and what to know. I preferred doing my own research, but it is lots of work that needs to be done ahead of your visit.

We visited the following abandoned factories:

Packard
    Fisher Body
    Murray Body
    Ford Highland
    Hudson #1
    Continental

There are many pictures on the web of these places, so I don't need to post them here. But a couple comments:
    - most are fenced and posted with No Trespassing signs, and many have security guards
    -all are in sketchy areas of town. Some places it is best to shoot pictures from the car and not get out and wander around. Do I need to remind you to keep your doors locked? You get the picture....

We observed up close and personal drug activity, prostitution and domestic disputes. For instance, on the deserted street behind Murray Body at dusk, we decided to turn around and not pass by a car stopped in the middle of the road. Use your head, and mind your own business. If you go looking for trouble, you'll quickly find it. But be nice and polite and most good people will respond accordingly.

You'll need a detailed map, GPS, and do your research ahead of time. This website is fantastic:

https://www.nailhed.com/

He's been at it a long time, and his descriptions are accurate.

A distinction that I did not realize: the car company plants were and are still assembly facilities. The various parts were made somewhere else and delivered to the factories. Those parts manufacturing plants are also all over Detroit, many are abandoned as well, and quite interesting. Also, the old factories were knocking out a considerable number of completed cars every day. They needed space to park them before shipping out. The parking lots are huge. These factories took up lots of space.

Here is one that isn't mentioned much, Edmunds & Jones Manufacturing, known to HAMBers as the E and J headlight company. They made headlamps for Ford and some others, went out of business, then came back briefly as a repopper for hot rodders.

This facility is typical of the many suppliers and manufacturers for the auto industry. They are prolific and just as important to the manufacturing history as the big three. As a group they are frequently overlooked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next door to E & J is Northway, an engine builder for Auburn, Buick, Ford, Olds and GMC. Also abandoned. You'll notice the pics were taken from the car. It didn't feel safe getting out. As we were driving away, one of the locals tried to flag us down. We didn't stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Glad you enjoyed your stay and the pictures are eye opening to some I am sure. I grew up in Detroit and both of my grandfathers worked in the auto plants (one for Ford and the other for Chalmers and Packard). I worked in a couple of auto plants when I was in school as a summer job and also later on when I did painting projects. We still have a number of auto plants in the area of course but I remember what the city looked like in the 60s and it was quite a different place then it is today. Sad in a sense to see the old abandoned structures but time marches on they say. It really was the Motor City at one time with a storied history. Cool that people such as yourself appreciate it's automotive past.

weps, Boryca and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Jim, it was a trip of a lifetime. It was a bucket list item, and gratifying the entire visit wildly exceeded my expectations. My wife told me this morning that our neighbors think I'm crazy to spend a vacation visiting Detroit, and have said so.

Only a car enthusiast can come close to understanding.

But what we thought would be the highlights just turned out to be ok (the Henry Ford Museum, for instance). And what we were skeptical of, were moments we won't ever forget (the locals, especially the genuine characters we met along the way).

Some of the very nicest people anywhere in the world. Can't wait to go back.

Pete

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Boryca, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. chopped

chopped

Thanks for a trip into my past. Was a Detroiter during it's heydays. Worked Kelsey Hayes and Chevy transmission plants in the 60's and 70's. Dragged down Woodward and been in the Motown building when it was the hottest music town on the planet. What a great time to have been young.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Steve’s a great guy...I try to support him and feed my magazine and book addiction through him

16. A little more Detroit History...thanks for the kind words about the D...we really do have some good people in this city..if only the weather didn’t suck 8 months a year..I’m glad you enjoyed yourself DE4B9DED-328F-4C27-9F11-E189B58E98F8.jpeg

17. Two museums worthy of mention, enjoyable to car guys. The first is the Motown Museum, Hitsville, USA.

[​IMG]

The museum is dedicated to the legacy of founder, Barry Gordy. It was started by Barry Gordy's sister, after he left Detroit for the greener pastures of L.A. And while the museum is interesting for the stories it tells, just know it is a decidedly biased one in favor of burnishing the image of Mr. Gordy- just as the Henry Ford Museum is really dedicated to cleaning up the real persona of Henry Ford.

Gordy, like Ford, is a complicated man and unfortunately, little of that complexity is presented at the museum. For instance, his affair with Diana Ross which produced a daughter; his lawsuits principally with Barrett Strong over the royalties for the monster hit, "Money" (Strong was forced to go back to work at Chrysler, and saw few of the royalties from either the Beatles, Rolling Stones or many other covers); the fallout with David Ruffin over artistic control of his career.

All visits are with guided tours- the museum is restricted otherwise. Our tour guide was a very knowledgable R&B singer, who was a delight. No photos except in legendary Studio A. And tickets sell out quickly through the summer, but you can buy them on-line ahead of your trip. We couldn't get in until the very last tour of the day at 5pm, so be advised to plan early.

[​IMG]

Another terrific museum is the restored Ford Piquette Ave. plant. It isn't huge, but highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We missed the guided tour, but the museum staff was accommodating and set us up with a separate guide for what amounted to a private tour. What a great stroke of luck! Our guide, Dick, was a retired Ford safety engineer and he was THE MAN in terms of knowing the subtleties and nuances of the development of the Model T and earlier vehicles. A good guide makes all the difference in the world. We hit a home run.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  18. Worthy of a drive-by, on your way to finding a good restaurant: the original 1912 dealership building for the Detroit office of Willys-Overland. It is now a successful reconversion to condos. Near downtown in the university district. Lots of good places to eat in the area, as well as shopping at places like Shinola and Filson.

[​IMG]

19. 12FE9E04-A6C8-42AF-A757-115BA19AEBFE.jpeg BB7306AD-79B4-44ED-948F-47004F4E3381.jpeg Talented artist and all around good guy Zac Fox is a designer at Shinola. Here’s one of his rides and some of his art work.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  20. One last site we visited, and probably the surprise highlight of the trip. The murals at the Detroit Institute of Art.

[​IMG]

Diego Rivera was commissioned by Edsel Ford in the early 1930s to paint a series of frescos depicting the auto industry at Ford Motor Company. The 27 murals were painted between 1932-1933. Here is the artist, working on another mural.

[​IMG]

More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Industry_Murals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the murals were completed there was controversy. Clergymen declared the birth mural blasphemy. Politicians were appalled by the Marxist suggestions in other of the murals, here, the hammer held by the worker and the star on his glove. Rivera claimed innocence, saying it was the Star Glove Company. But as he was a self-declared Leftist, we'll let you be the judge.

[​IMG]

City fathers were disappointed that the murals were a blatant advertisement for Ford, and neglected the greater overview of the city of Detroit. Some said Edsel Ford was stirring the pot simply as an advertising stunt.

Controversy followed the artist wherever he went.

When commissioned by the Rockefellers in NYC to paint a similar mural, Rivera deviated from the agreed upon sketch in his proposal. The Rockefellers were livid. His mural consequently was destroyed. In Detroit, it took the intervention and stiff backbone of Edsel Ford to see that the same did not happen.

Ford said, "I paid for it. I'll decide what is acceptable." The murals stayed.

[​IMG]

Again, we were fortunate on the day of our visit. While I had studied the murals prior to the visit and thought I was prepared to view them, the sheer size of the works surprises. They are enormous. I didn't realize they take up a dedicated wing of the Art Institute. And because there are 27 panels, again, it is easy to be overwhelmed. However, a friendly museum docent- an older woman whose name escapes me- walked up and asked if I had any questions. We spoke for a half-hour or so and could have kept on going.

She was excellent. She pointed out some of the faces Rivera painted into the work. You'll recognize this one, Henry lecturing on the flathead V8:

[​IMG]

There is much symbolism in the paintings- a guide at the museum will help you understand the interrelationships between the frescos. Seek out one of the interpreters. The panels are nothing short of stunning.

And while you are at DIA, visit some of the rest of their collection. I am a fan of American art between the World Wars. They have a modest number of their holdings currently on display, both American and European. Here are a couple favorites, the first by J. Francis Criss, "Waterfront" (1940); and the second by Georgia O'Keefe before she headed out West to paint skulls and flowers, "Stables" (1932).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    41 GMC K-18, 63fdsnr, i.rant and 5 others like this.
  21. All-in-all a great trip, interesting sites, and wonderful people along the way. Go see Detroit, fellas. You won't be disappointed. Put it on your bucket list.

22. Thanks so much for the tour, and insight into Detroit.

23. There is a show on our local Public Broadcasting station (MPT) coming up about Detroit. It is called "Family Pictures" and uses old family photos to tell the story and history of a city. It is a pretty good show and right now I'm watching one about Durham NC. The Detroit one airs tomorrow at 8:00 PM EST. It might not be available or possibly on a different day depending on where you are at but it's worth a shot to check. Search your local PBS web site.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  24. Here is the link to their website page:

https://www.pbs.org/family-pictures-usa/watch/episodes/detroit/

The previews look interesting. Lots of auto-related history. Thanks for the heads up!

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Dang it, we missed Henry the Hatter and Hot Sam's on our wanderings around. Gotta go back for another visit. I need a hat.

26. i.rant, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  27. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

The wife and I made this trip last year. Highlights were the Piquete museum, Edsel fords house, the Henry Ford museum and the Detroit museum of art. We tried to get into the Motown museum but it was sold out all three days we were there.

28. More evidence that Detroit is becoming an art center. Here is a very good introduction to some of the sites, galleries and museums where art is much in evidence. Can't wait to get back:

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. I visited my son during the road kill event this past August. Woodward ave cruising was a must do thing. He drove his 69 super bee I drove my hemi 31 Chrysler cm 6 coupe. We have toured many auto related interesting sites. We are mopar guys so we seem to end up at alot of those when I visit. We have seen one of the dodges homes. The dodges burial site. Hodges dodges dealership. Jimmy addisons old shop that was home to the silver bullet gtx. The plant that made the six pack cars. Cadillacs home. The old gm headquarters building that has fantastic tile work in it. There's more. 20190810_162724.jpg 20190810_175412.jpg 20180921_174250.jpg 20180921_180640.jpg 20190810_162724.jpg 20190810_175412.jpg 20180921_174250.jpg 20180921_180640.jpg

30. derbydad276

derbydad276