Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Belt for eng.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, Aug 5, 2019.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have a 8cm with early w/p, a gen delete, and a left side gen, mount, but no gen. I would like to know what size belt I would need. 5/8 pulleys.

thanks,

jim

2. squirrel

squirrel

Even if someone has the exact same setup you have, their belt size probably won't work on your engine (Murphy's Law). Get a belt that's close, see how far off it is, get another that's closer, repeat until you get it right.

Texas Webb and firstinsteele like this.
  3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You are probably right. Just trying to save all the back and forth.

Thanks,

jim

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Take a piece of rope and estimate belt size. Then go shopping.

5. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I have never been lucky the first trip to the auto store. Buy a couple sizes smaller and larger as the rope size and bring the unused back for a refund.

48fordnut likes this.
  6. Go to the local farm store, buy one of their cheap shit belts that you know is too long, cut it in half and wrap it around the pulleys. Put the adjuster in the mid point, wrap the long end over the short end and mark the end with a crayon. Measure the outside of the belt from end to crayon mark. This is your length. 5/8 belts are called “B” width belts and Gates has all kinds of lengths. Example: B34 would be a 5/8” width belt of 34” length. PM me with a measurement and I’ll look in my Gates book for the belt, but I’m at work and my books are at home. Using the correct width belt for a measuring tool assures correct length because it rides where the belt would ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jibs, 48fordnut and squirrel like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I have a collection of old belts, one 7/16" wide one that's really long, and I cut it as he said, and use it to measure for belts.

I don't have any extra 5/8" belts, though. So his idea to get a long cheap one to use as a starting point is a good one.

Rich B. and 48fordnut like this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

All good info.

Thanks,

jim

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

I use electrical tape and wrap it abound all the pulleys on the outside of the pullyes do not pull or stretch the tape . Then lay it out and measure it. Make sure you put the adjustment near the lowest point or in the middle. I use gates numbers and order the belts on line they are the least expensive.

48fordnut likes this.
  10. The rope trick works and it helps to have one of these. That way you can leave the rope at home and give them a size. This measuring tool is also a great help when replacing a worn belt when no numbers are visible.
    91202-1_ANG_R__ra_p.jpg
    About $30

48fordnut likes this.
  11. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Wouldn’t have a part number for that would ya?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.