Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild Kustom 53 Chevy build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 14, 2019.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

If you could PM me photos of the grilles.... I have one but its surface rusty but complete...

Larger casters make sense for sure... I have thought about it... May need to make it happen...

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Older we get the slower it goes for some reason!

1stGrumpy likes this.
  3. My '51... 23.JPG

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

5. Thank you...

6. ChevyDeputy54

ChevyDeputy54

stubbsrodandcustom and 1stGrumpy like this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, a little update... bought some wheels and getting tires tomorrow... Had the wheels powder coated black gloss just for some extra wow factor... I had thought about chrome, or painted, but I wanted some depth, and durability. So here is a wheel to tide you over... We have been working hard for the last month on a project for a family member... Almost done with it... Hell Ill show a pic or 2 of it also... why not...
    So here is my new wheels... IMG_0835[1].JPG

Test fit the exhaust manifolds... They are close to the steering box, but should work... Thanks to researching the HAMB for manifolds to clear with stock steering and v8 swap....

IMG_0798[1].JPG

I won the presidency... I now declare all electric vehicles illegal, and tax brakes for anyone owning and driving vehicles over 40 years old..

IMG_3088[1].JPEG

So here is the Last month of my life in my spare time when not working 45 hrs a week across town. 56 F100 with a lot of rust repair done, some custom touches. IMG_0757[1].JPG

IMG_0719[1].JPG

Got the wrong offset for the front, that's on the list of things to fix....

IMG_0832[1].JPG

Lizard skin coated the floors, back wall, under dash etc... Lokar 24" double swan shifter, vintage air mark 4 under dash, Dakota gauge cluster, tilt hood, s10 chassis with all new qa1 control arms etc, power steering conversion, 355 gm crate engine, th350 trans, powerstop front brakes. This isn't as traditional as I wanted to go, but family is family and they wanted things a certain way, and before someone says why didn't we use the old chassis, it was complete junk, the body was rust barnicles holding hands under the bondo and it was on a dodge chassis when they got it. REDNECK SPECIAL>… Should be a good running around truck for sure...

Next were moving my car to a buddies shop to pull the body and fix a bunch of little things.... and hopefully get her running before decemeber. So things are moving fast now....

Little teaser of what is on the block after my 53 is done... Look behind the truck and you will see some cool stuff... IMG_0794[1].JPG

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Another busy weekend... Drove that 56 ford for the first time yesterday... its getting aligned etc... then deliver it..

So got the tires mounted for the 53 friday and all setup....Here is how I pickup stuff... in the old 56 dodge.

IMG_0848[1].JPG IMG_0849[1].JPG

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Project update....

Yesterday we finally moved it to my buddies house to knock some stuff on his lift in his garage... Due to my work schedule and a few physical issues plaging me right now he is going to knock a nice chunk out for me while its there.

Yesterday we split the half's... took in the body structure and addressed the crappy c notch hydro bs they had on there. They put a channel iron bridge right above the c notch in the frame. Welds were straight but looked like popcorn on a few of them, so fixed that, re-braced, and structured the c notch, first immobilizing the frame from moving there while we worked etc. This was the only photo I got since we don't have enough electrical to run 2 welders at his place. IMG_0883[1].JPG

Here is the accessory drive I had to get, Finding a short water pump bracket kit locally is next to impossible, and We needed to get clearances right quick for radiator dimensions etc. So For the price of steel cast offs I got this set of pulleys and bracket, THIS is subject to change before anyone gives me hell for aluminum pulleys. IMG_0879[1].JPG

10. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Just came across this build! Love some 53-54 Chevs! Subscribe

11. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Any pics of the old dodge? And if I am not mistaken that looks like a 51 merc in the background. Love this build so far, keep up the good work.

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Project Update #2 in a week...

Its going fast guys... Waiting to get a few last things next weekend at the conroe swap meet but here we are...

So for anyone wanting to do a v8 swap. 88 chevy truck manifolds work with stock components, they are tight to steering box but work...
    IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

So we are ditching the front vent tubes and holes on firewall... So here is how this is going....
    IMG_0893.JPG

So trying to get sheet metal ready to hang while its easier to handle so throwing some paint down, pulling broken bolts out of places they are in also. Welding studs to nuts and getting things freed up to pull out. After closer inspection of the grille assembly, the chrome is pretty nasty, so instead of painting it black like most do for now, I am leaving the rust on the chrome for now to cut the budget down, when funds increase I will pull the chrome off, bumpers, grille etc and re do them. I painted the metal behind the grille to clean things up though... So here is the body updates.... IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0889.JPG
    So electrical is ran through car, awaiting the front clip install, just down to putting the rest together. IMG_0895.JPG

Far cry from where day one began... that's for sure... New body rubbers everywhere, shouldn't squeak or bang around... Fixed the nasty c notch that was done wrong, pulled the hydraulic components out of the car. Fixed the cut up stuff there.

If anyone is considering using Walton Fab stuff on their v8 swap. I will say this to you... Its great parts, well constructed, and I highly recommend.

9 months ago I bought this car after selling my 29 model a coupe in needing a bigger car for my family and my big ass... so a few pics down memory lane from that time.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

Stay tuned for body panel hanging, and the dreaded hood spring installation.

Mopar Tony and Shadow Creek like this.
  13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

You are correct sir... 51 Merc... Should be pretty nasty..... billy.jpg

Here is my old Dodge... Work this girl harder than a landscape crew some days. Drop axle up front, pretty bare bones, old truck except for AC that don't work for shit. 56-1.jpg

Sleepercooler and craig b blue like this.
  14. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Man you have some bad ass rides my friend. I am a mopar guy through and through so I absolutely love your truck. My dream car despite being a mopar guy is a 49-51 merc with a old hemi slammed in it however the mercs are out of my budget. The fact you have one with a Fing blower is amazing and I can't wait to see that build. My buddy has a 58 dodge in the weeds that I want to build a gasser from. It is the rare one that has the fins. Looks like the one below but in way worse shape LOL.
    [​IMG]

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, Ive had a few mopars in my life... had a few flathead 6 ones etc... fun tough trucks for sure. That 58 sweptside is a rare bird for sure.. First year of it... SUPER COOL... Also love the headlights on the 58...Thanks brother... trucks alot of fun for sure... I use the hell out of her. Merc is not mine, its my buddies, My bankroll only goes so far, and merc money borderline what Id ever spend... There are some deals to be found, but they are normally very rusty. I tried to convince him to slam a blown hemi in it, but he got this killer SBC for a hell of a deal. He has a 392 hemi for his gasser build coming up also... Keep yall posted...

Mopar Tony likes this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Project Update... So after 1 week of divide an conquor, here we sit... The front clip is painted, installed, wiring almost done, main systems finished today, patches on a few of the small rust holes on the floor done. This is the only pic I have for yall right now. But its looking like a car again. I know the chrome is rusty, and will be addressed later. After figuring out how the grille and front end goes together, and about 40 lag bolts later, here we are.....

IMG_0902[1].JPG

This was my first time seeing this car bolted together ever cause when we pulled it out of a backyard a few miles from the house, there was all the clip sitting on it, parts everywhere, guy I bought it from didn't do anything with it and then I acquired it... Feels good for sure... Hopefully it comes home in a few days and finish the remaining stuff in my 2 car garage...

IMG_0903[1].JPG

Stay tuned for more shots coming soon....

17. 57 was first year of the sweptside

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  18. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Quick update... So she came back to my little 2 car garage last night... Time for finish up and get some miles turning... Sorry for the engine hoist blocking view... I have to re arrange the garage a bit for that to fit somewhere else... A few more things to do wiring wise, trans cooler, etc and then first drive..... Exhaust is on, brakes hooked up and bled, were pretty dang close folks..... Looks great back in my garage again...

IMG_0911[1].JPG

Chavezk21 and Mopar Tony like this.
  19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well guys... couple of days of wrenching and she sprung to life... Fires up pretty dang nice, I am not used to having a exhaust already done for first fire up... so nice....few little things to button up and then road testing time.... Figured Id update yall... More pics and video to come soon.

IMG_0919[1].JPG

IMG_0916[1].JPG

Budget36, Shadow Creek and Copper Top like this.
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Update For November...

Got her running at the turn of the key... trans works at least front and back... Brakes have been giving me a little hell but after bleeding the hell out of them, I can hear the rears engaging before getting to firm pedal status... I think I am spoiled to my wilwood crap on the 56... But none the less. They do work and will see when we get it on the road... Speaking of on the road, hit a major snag, I was told that the front seat was in great condition when I bought the car.... welllllll he confused the rear with the front... So there was alot of issues with it, decided to go ahead and get both seats reworked at the local interior shop. So stay tuned for that... My big ass likes comfy seats these days.

So while I am delayed on driving, I fixed the left rear quarter window, glass was off the channel, Took that bugger completely apart, hit it with lube, cleaned the channel up, put the glass in, so I didnt want to glue this one in since its up for replacement when things slow down but wanted something I could close... So the foam fender liners work great to hold glass...cut it 1" long the length of the channel. let the glass push it in there, bam holds great...

So decided I would see how the hood fits, well it fits, but not pretty at all, I believe its a wrong hood, the bottom front spots where it meets the grill are 1/4" behind the edge of the fender, while the peak is nice and aligned with the grill like it should be... BUT it opens, closes, so I am saying its a decent win for the time being, it will work until I can find a better hood I guess.... IMG_0940[1].JPG

So you notice that bumper laying on the ground, I was told it was for this car when my buddy got it. NOPE, 52 bumper, about 6" too narrow... SO doing some searching, may have found one... we will see I just didn't want to buy a repop show chrome one due to the condition of the plating on the front end right now plus I am not much for repop bumpers for some reason, But none the less, cool to see her almost all together for the first time. IMG_0939[1].JPG

54 headlight rings look so much better than the 53s and will do for now. I know she isnt much right now, but it is a pretty big feat finishing the car saying my back has gotten me to a point where alot of things are getting more difficult and walking distance has been cut down big time... But best part is the car can always be frenched at any point and work done here and there to make it better, I have a legal 2dr bel air registered to me, cool vintage YOM plates that will be going on her soon too. So close I can taste it. I hope some of you are enjoying it, sorry for not having many of the "in the moment" pictures... I put my phone on the bench and work and then take pics after... So sorry about that.

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

A few update pictures of some of the work that happened.

Dang this motor runs good...

Shaved firewall.. IMG_0893.JPG
    Just a cool shot from the side on the lift... IMG_0895.JPG

Hood works decent, no springs yet....

IMG_0948.JPG

Getting a really nice set of seats done up right now... Some tijuanna tuck and roll for the flavor and comfort... Stay tuned... Hope to post a video soon of it...

BigO likes this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

A little video for yall...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYt8vyyEv3o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Copper Top and 1stGrumpy like this.
  23. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Looking good, what upper rad hose are you using? I ended up having to go back to the universal flex hose which I don't care for.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

We go shopping at the Oreilly in the back. Go in with a water neck matching hose size, and a coat hanger bent to size we need for the bends.. Find whats on the shelf that meets requirements, I will take a pic of the hose number if that will help you out? Ive bought a 4' OT vehicle rad hose just to cut a complex bend out of it on my 56 lower rad hose, worked great.

Early Ironman and loudbang like this.
  25. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I did the same thing, no luck that day. :mad:

loudbang likes this.
  26. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, not much to update on... Got a decent steering wheel 2 weeks ago, so decided to epoxy and paint it up...

I know some dont lay the epoxy this thick, but the plastic weld epoxy sands down good and smooth so I decided to lay it as a filler on top just as a full fill of the cracks... IMG_1033.JPG

Painted and drying IMG_1040.JPG

And put in its home with the factory turn signal switch housing and the horn ring. IMG_1045.JPG

She may not be the prettiest gal at the dance... but she will do things the prudes wont...

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  27. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Oh yeah... got some cool beauty rings also... not too bad of a look on the steels...

Few pics of the wheels for reference... IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG

Then I got to see Big Boy a few weeks ago going through the area... THIS thing is an amazing piece of engineering and rolling history...

IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well guys. Sorry to delay. But interior shop has been slower than molasses. But should be done this coming week. So I needed a front bumper and didn’t want a bright shiny new one right now yet. Needed something I could paint and not feel bad. So bought a parts car to get one.

On our way home. 7BE428C5-9256-4161-8B0B-2C772D1224AF.jpeg
    0E78BAF0-F5B9-41FF-B35B-54FEA3D3F26C.jpeg

At my buddies shop today pulling a few things off. Took this cool photo while I took an old man break.

7ED4BEE9-E1C3-439E-BB8D-D55085C63D51.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well... as always... got impatient last night, decided to slide that bumper on.... FINALLY I have been able my car as it was intended to look, first time for me... Seeing pictures of other 53s is ok... seeing your own finally almost complete in parts its epic... I know its not much to some of yall, but its a big win for me... Put the hood emblem on, not really sold on that yet... May grow on me...

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

30. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well. First drive happened after the long wait for seats to be done. Not too bad. Brakes need more bleed but all in all. Drove to get gas in her 1 mile away.

3FB06366-085D-4D7C-9530-F6AD7652BBF3.jpeg
    D41FE7D7-450A-4D0D-BA1A-5A952EE10F2C.jpeg
    415FA684-6D3D-4CAA-8F5D-C6607FF18271.jpeg
    BF24211B-F17A-46D9-9495-8C5C77AEDDD4.jpeg