Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys L-Head Hop-Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Go Devil, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Go Devil

Go Devil

Hello All,
    Been a while since I have posted.
    Any body out there familiar with Willys 4 flat head engines?
    I have one in the garage that has been professionally rebuilt 60 over and have found a aluminum, high compression, Hickey head (don't know much about it) for it. I have also fabbed a dual intake for two 1bbl Carter carbs and will be adding straight exhaust pipes.
    As stock this thing squeaks out 60 hp at 2000-3000 rpm.
    Second question,
    Anybody out there with any cam ideas?
    Thanks for looking.
    I tried to load a photo with no luck.

2. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I`ve been around willys fours all my life, thanks to my fathers hobby..
    The stock 54 horsepowers is not much but they`re reliable and rugged..
    I have a NOS willys four that i`ve been looking for a high compression head for but the australian guy who makes them new won`t answer my E-mails..

You maybe want to look for a post war F-head for your block.. That`s a factory F-head conversion that fits your block and boosts HP up to 74 with stock cam and single carb. Will give you much better throttle responce too, thanks to those big intake valves in the head.

3. Go Devil

Go Devil

Thank you for the reply!
    I didn't even think about the OHV option with the F-heads. Is that a direct bolt on?
    I tried the guy in Austrailia with the Willy Willy heads as well and have had the same results as you.
    What are you planning on doing with your Willys engine?

4. kentucky

kentucky

I saw a salt car in a magazine years ago. It was named the "Singer Sewing Machine" and had a hopped up Willys Go Devil engine in it. Pretty cool. I was going to put a Jeep engine in my hot rod but I sold all my CJ2A stuff to make room in the barn.

5. Go Devil

Go Devil

I'm definately into old jeeps (flat fenders).
    I started an A project with my daughter a while back, but she lost interest. I sold or traded everything but the wheels and new tires. I needed to roll a Willys frame around and the A wheels bolted right up to the hubs.
    I've got old jeep parts everywhere so that got me itchin' for a new project.
    I'm not going to use the Jeep sheet metal, just the drive train.
    I'm not quite sure how I'm goin to work the frame out though ( 4 leaf springs on solid axles) looks pretty hokey like that.
    I'll definately fab my own body.

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

My buddy owns that car. It still has the same motor in, with the same Graham blower. That thing turned 125 MPH at Muroc in 1947. It used to be painted white with Singer Sewing Machine across the front but now it is red. I don't know how to post pictures here and I've tried to have pics posted for me but no luck.

7. kentucky

kentucky

Let's try...Thanks for the email!

Attached Files:

8. kentucky

kentucky

Success. What an awesome car with real history! I would love to see some close ups of the engine some time. I love the grill and front fairing. Do you know what kind of frame that is? Thanks for the pics!

9. Go Devil

Go Devil

Yeah,
    Any engine pictures?