Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel injector Fab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Feb 23, 2019.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

image.jpg image.jpg Idle ramps machined and secondary bypass holes drilled. This thing might even work!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hi Greg, No I haven't, but that's a good idea.

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The SAGA continues!! Today I tried my hand at heat treating! After checking a Hilborn Spool and determining they are around 60-65 Rockwell 'C' - I figured I should shoot for the same. And since I've never really heat treated anything before I figured I'd learn something one way or another.
    In short, I made a new Spool from O1 (drill rod) & purposefully left a few thousandths extra on the OD. I took some used motor oil and put it in a coffee can with metal chips on the bottom (so the part would be fully surrounded in oil when I dropped it in there). I next preheated the oil until it just started to smoke a little. I then heated the spool with a neutral flame until it was non magnetic. I purposefully did not heat up the thin shaft near as hot as the larger section because I was afraid of warping it. I also thought it being 'soft' would be a good thing (or at least NOT a bad thing). Gotter hot and dropped 'er in! After it completely cooled I cleaned the small shaft and stuck it in a collet. Using my rigged up tool post grinder I brought it to about a half thou over. I then polished the last few tenths off. In the pic mine is the TALLER one. So far I think it came out pretty good! IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2668.JPG

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Finally! My fuel fittings came. Some assembly required.

Attached Files:

Deuces, mad mechanic and loudbang like this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Speaking of fuel fittings here's something else you might want to consider hiding inside that scoop - a gasoline priming system. You could hide some small fuel lines - like from a RC model or even a weed wacker, with brass tube nozzles - and make a small tank to hold gas and use either a small hand pump or an electric pump. I think you could name it "The Stan Pump". Then you'll have a one-man race day operation.

[P.S.. If you've already made plans and incorporated it into your system and you don't want to divulge it yet you need not reply to this post.]

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IMG_2708.JPG View attachment 4306190
    Greg, I hadn't even thought about it, it's a great point. I have been distracted with fabbing some linkage. The cardboard is a little flimsy -I may have to double up on that.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    mad mechanic, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IMG_2715.JPG So here's the nearly complete bell crank linkage. The horizontal link is too short (was laying around) so I have yet to make an appropriate length one of those. Aside from that and some cosmetics it's basically done. May not look like much, but I'm thrilled with it. Much simpler than what I had on the Hilborn 4port.

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

wow - double shear bell crank - impressed

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

If it's worth doing, its worth overdoing! :) Did you notice the flared oiling holes? I wanna keep those bronze bearings WELL lubed! :)

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is no doubt, the loveliest fuel injector ever.

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Wow Rich, That's one heck of a compliment! Thank You.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well, I have never seen another injector that made me think "lovely"

mad mechanic and Deuces like this.
  15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

So I had a slight set-back the other day when I was looking at the butterflies - I noticed that they all didn't seat the same. Knowing that the bores are dead nuts the same and the throttle plates are dead nuts the same and knowing the shaft bores are dead nuts in line and on center leaves me with one culprit - a TWISTED shaft! It's not much and I'm not sure when it happened - did I machine it that way? Did it "relax" post machining? Not sure, but it WAS bugging the crap out of me so I drug out my fixture and made another shaft. This one is near perfect and the plates are seating exactly like they should. I used teh fixture slightly different than previously. This time I indexed it off one end and let the rest "float", if there was to be any stress relief this will hopefully eliminate it. (If it was even the problem- I dunno). Long story short - we're back on track again!!! Oh yeah!!!

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2807.JPG Tryin' to dot those last "I's" and cross those last "T's" ....always liked the torsion spring setup on the left that I had used on my stack Injector, but if you look close you can see where I must have gotten a little caveman when I tightened it last. Combine that with some slight changes I wanna make and viola- I'm raiding the scrap pile for material again. I'm gonna make this new one with what I hope will be some slight improvements. Only time will tell. That's mine on the right not quite finished in the top pic, but done in the bottom pic. You may notice I added some material by the clamp bolt. That should add some strength.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Guys, I thought you might enjoy an update. I FINALLY got the car to the track this weekend. I had planned on a VERY easy first pass. I left easy in 2nd gear ('glide) and then a little ways out everything felt great so I gave it some throttle - instantly lit the shift light, got out of the groove, and got a bit sideways, obviously let off way eary and coasted to a 11 second pass - which is ironically both the slowest pass I have ever made in the car and the most scary pass I've ever made in the car. Upped the tire pressure and made anther pass. This time I left easy in first, short shifted, and slowly rolled into a little throttle - again instantly lit the shift light, car went straight - I lifted early and then got fuel sprayed in my face and couldn't see very well - popped the chute and all was well. Went 10 something coasting. It's a completely different beast. Injector amazingly worked flawlessly - I was extremely happy, but realize I am literally sstarting over and have to re-learn how to drive the car and also revisit the car prep. I will post a video once I figure out how to get it off my buddy's facebook. Never did figure out how to embed the link, but you can click on it and it seems to work.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  18. loudbang

loudbang

So what happened that you got fuel in your face?

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The fitting on the idle check regulator got loose, and by loose - it wasn't loose by much - just enough to leak at the end of the run. I checked all the fttings before I left and checked them when we got there, but I must have missed that one - my guess is that it loosened on the tow out. That regulator has a little weight so it makes sense that the tow out could have done it. Lots of "firsts" for me this weekend. :)

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Computer wizzard I am NOT, but I figured out the vid issue. Second pass on the hand made injector. Video Courtesy of my buddy Don Moyer.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Video works fine. The injector look like the injector is working too :)

Deuces likes this.
  22. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks! I am thrilled with the injector so far. Still aways from having it all dialed in, but this is new territory for me so I am trying to proceed with caution. Unlike pass #1 where I almost wadded it up!!! :-0

23. Good to see you getting your system up and running. Did you run last year at the Meltdown drags with hilborn injection? The blown Hemi must be a whole new experience.

24. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Slayer, Yes, we ran the Meltdown last year Hiborn Injected - had a blast there. The blower is NEW to us as is the homemade injector - so we have TONS to learn, but are having fun doing it. The blower turned WAY down is still a handful (understatement).

loudbang, Deuces and fauj like this.
  25. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Gettin' it dialed in (maybe a bit too much - at the very least - the landing was a bit much - still sore)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Jet96, loudbang, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Great job on building your own injection, ( that what Hot Rodding is about) Sling shot Dragster , Funny car / Altered's and short wheels base with a Blower can be a hand full , you have to drive them .
    I can remember when I switched from Blown carbs to blown Mechanical fuel injection when I was 20 , Left easy , then Flat footed , instant Rev-limiter was all crest-crossed up about 150 feet out.It was like 300 shot of NOS
    PS --hard tail car's can & will be hard on your A$$!!!

HemiRambler and loudbang like this.