Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why is spring perch so close

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Aug 3, 2019.

1. On this early Ford banjo rear end with juice brakes
    Is the spring perch arm bent or just nature of the beast?

Oh I am presuming the rear is a 34 model

20190803_190226.jpg

Kinda makes it a Biotch to adjust the brake..

Also can the arm be heated and moved out?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Yes the 32-34 perches are close when fitted with later brakes. I suppose you could bend the arms, but thousands of hot rodders (myself included) have lived with it for years.

If bending is your choice, be aware the 32-34 spring is curved and the arms need to maintain their same angle.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

3. Kinda gonna be a BiOtch to get in there and adjust the brakes

4. Andy

Andy

I had that exact set up and used a normal wrench to adjust them. No problem!

5. Do want me to see if my little sister isn’t busy? :p:D

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

A wrench fits in from the side, just like it's supposed to.

7. Mart

Mart

It's so close because it was never designed to be used with the hydraulic brake backplates. It's just a stroke of luck that there is any clearance at all.

Mart.

Andy likes this.
  8. She works on cars.. is she single?

9. Yes and yes
    Plus she don’t whine about tedious tasks. She loves cleaning horse stalls too but She bitches about plenty of other things though.

That’s my favorite line around here when someone is whining about a little bit difficult task.

10. alchemy

alchemy

I think Henry designed lots of parts to be retrofitted to his earlier cars. Like it's magic the complete 40 Ford brakes just bolt onto a 32 rearend, no modifications needed. Or the complete 40 spindles and brakes will slip right onto a 32 front axle, only needing a little heating and bending of the steering arms. Or you could slip a complete 39 transmission behind a 32 V8 by only swapping the clutch throwout arm and the rear mount.

The weird thing is how Chevrolet designed their new V8 to fit right into the same space a flathead Ford was built for. A couple little aftermarket adapters and the thing will fall into place.

11. I find it a little neat actually.

12. DANGIT Cleveland is a bit far away from AZ..

Will be at Woodward in a couple weeks tho..

Yes I guess there was a little whine goin on..

Kinda hoping there was a little trick to it to get better access, Short of cutting the arm off and welding a new spring perch to the axle.

13. Henry was about simplicity, why retool everything when you can change a little and gain a lot,