Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Posies Quarter Elliptical Springs - removing a leaf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeaverMatt, Jul 16, 2019.

1. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Has anyone removed a leaf (or two) from a set of Posies quarter elliptical springs? Was it successful, a failure, or something else? I have a set in the rear of my car. The car rides VERY harsh and I'm looking to soften it up a little.

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

What shocks, what rear tyres and pressure?maybe a photo of the set up .....

3. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks Torana68, not to sound flippant, but I'm really just want to know if anyone has pulled a leaf or two out of a set of Posies quarter ellipticals and if so how it worked.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Point was it might not be your springs.......

1946caddy likes this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

What Torana68 said. Remove your shocks and go for a short ride. If the suspension is compliant you need a softer shock, or a less severe angle (assuming tube shock). May be other binding too. Play with tire pressure. That's free. Of course if you've already done all that, we don't know.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done several customer chassis with the Posie 1/4 elliptic setup using shackles and holding the rear in place with P&J ladder bars. So far I've never had a complaint about ride. I use a fairly soft P&J shock. One thing that has happened is I've had 2 of the cars (both 32 roadsters) with high miles have the main leaf break thru the spring bolt hole? I've never liked the way the spring flexes thru the spring bolt as it rests against the adjusting bolt. Maybe they've changed this?

7. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Been away for a while. Thanks for the replies. I'm really asking a generic question about removing a leaf from these springs. My car had some binding from a crack in the frame (causing one spring to be out of alignment, which I've repaired and improved). This has made things much better. I'm also trying new shocks - which will help a lot given that my shocks are very stiff on compression. I'm not new to suspension. I've built several cars with different types of suspensions. This is my first go with a quarter elip, and while I'm repairing and improving, I just wanted to ask if anyone had done it, in case after exhausting my other options, it could be something to try. The bolt thru style worried me about trying it, so I thought I'd ask. Krylon - what you mention about the eye bolt cracking was something I was worried about. haven't seen it yet, but it looks like a week link to me.

Thanks everyone!

8. 1ton

1ton

The setup where the adjusting bolt contacts the top leaf directly just seems wrong. I once saw a design that had a load bearing plate between the adjuster and spring. Looked like they machined it out of ductile iron or something. It was countersunk on top for the adjuster screw and rounded on the bottom, front to back, to spread the load at that point..

9. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I took a leaf out of the rear springs on my RPU.
    I am happy with the ride. cab only.JPG LA Roadster-6.jpg

OFT likes this.
  10. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

BeaverMatt if you remove a spring, which I see no problem doing, I would be sure to replace the removed spring with a short piece of strap the width of the spring.

I think those are 1_7/8" wide so a plate say 1_7/8 x 4" to keep some thickness and strength around the center bolt.

I've heard of them fracturing around the spring bolt hole so that's why I built my own with upper and lower plates to run an adjusting bolt against.

Here's mine,
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ter-elliptical-springs.1115374/#post-12732628

12. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks for sharing lostone. Great build thread and advice!