Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘29 Ford roadster deuce rails CAN-AUS build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jordabennett, Sep 18, 2018.

1. CadMad

CadMad

I’ll have to come for a visit. I live in Brisbane but go over to Perth every month. My mate just scored this in Queensland . I’m jealous but it’s in my shed and you know what they say about possession.....

Attached Files:

2. Kajewski

Kajewski

3. Thats a good question.

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

A couple of things.....the Ford badge on the rad shell has a black background.
    "Made in Canada".
    The elevator wiring has different sizes. 18 and 14 gauge. It is from the travel cable that hangs under the elevator. If you need more, I know an elevator (lift) guy down there somewhere.
    One question...Do you have to change to right hand drive down there?

5. Well @fenderless really helped me out yesterday selling me one of his flat heads. If any of you have met Craig you know he’s as humble and honest as they come.. We plucked the heart out of one of his original rolling ‘32 chassis’s and loaded her up. Made a deal on a original ‘32 grille shell and repop insert (will try and find a replacement) Craig also had a backing plate needed for my Halibrand QC.
    Playing around with my Weiand heads and Fenton intake - Thos intake will not be ran and will be replacing it with something different.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

If I ever see another '29 Model A with a '32 rad shell, it will be too soon.
    Keep the original.

29EHV8 likes this.
  7. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the most beautiful car Henry ever made and you are so lucky and determined. Maybe the engine but please don't ever put another piece of 32 on the car.
    Warren

wheeldog57 likes this.
  8. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

If you have been in Western Australia for a while hopefully you are aware that you can not import anything into Australia that has asbestos in it eg original clutch plate, brake shoes, head gaskets exhaust gaskets etc. Australia border protection are pretty hot on these at present and issue heavy fines if caught and big $ to have the asbestos product removed and disposed of. A buddy of mine has just had his import stuck on the wharf for 4 weeks in Fremantle incurring all sorts of costs for 4 weeks whilst getting this sorted out.

Please make sure you do your homework and get your paperwork right before you ship it.

Hope to see it on the road when you get it going.

clem and waxhead like this.
  9. Yeah you bet- thanks for the heads up. They sure are strict over here with that stuff, luckily I was on top of it and had removed it all, pain in the ass but like you said better to be prepared than have an issue down here.

10. The only things I could fit in my suit case before I flew back to Perth.
    Looking forward for the roadster to show up and get building, already counting down the days!

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Well the good news is its finally all arrived to Aus, not to get it all to the shop and start building!!

12. clem

clem

One has to have a higher level of admiration for anyone that starts building his hot rod by punching his louvres before doing anything else !
    Nice project.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. Well finally, after waiting nearly 7months, I got everything delivered and unpacked today. I actually forgot about certain things I had packed nearly a year ago. I suppose this was ‘Christmas in july’
    Will get everything unpacked over the next few days and get some pictures and ideas flowing, it’s time to start building this thing![​IMG]

14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Great news, keen to see this project progress. Will be watching.

jordabennett likes this.
  15. Kajewski

Kajewski

hell yea! Awesome to see a tradtional build on the west coast!

waxhead likes this.
  16. clem

clem

Hard crowd to please............- your car, do what you want ! - please keep the updates coming..........bttt

17. 303racer

303racer

Keep up the good work , and post lots and often!!!!!

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You specified '32 rails. Gennie or repop? Any trouble with O-Z registration for '29 on '32 rails?

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very cool and look forward to the build

20. Ford28

Ford28

What vehicle did these bullet shape tail lights come from?

Thanks

21. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

I don't want to hijack the post but in terms of your question the answer depends upon which state you live in and how you want your car registered / licensed. For example in Western Australia there is no issue with licensing a 1928 body on a reproduction 1932 chassis (provide it passes all the other requirements) but in some other States it would affect how it was licensed and its potential use. EG original chassis or 2 original cross members in some states means full registration is available otherwise registration is restricted use.

In terms of licensing hot rods in Western Australia we have some rules that appear to not make much sense for example original 1928 steel body (modified as hot rod) can have a MPH speedometer but a fibreglass 1928 body needs to have a KMPH speedometer.

It is also pretty hard to build a traditional HAMB type vehicle here as you can't license a modified hot rod with cross ply tyres in Western Australia but they are AOK on a stocker and other Australian States allow cross plys on hot rods.

Also most States in Australia license pre 1948 left hand hot rods AOK but not in Western Australia (here they are supposed to be converted to right hand drive)

All in all we do have a pretty good licensing system but you will be disappointed if you don't understand the rules

28rp likes this.
  22. 39 pontiac

23. I sense i will be asking you a lot of questions regarding this issue.

24. It’s been a long time since I’ve got to go through everything I brought over. It’s pretty fun to go through the boxes of all the wrapped parts and collectables I’ve had over the years- this is just one and many boxes to unload. I’ll try and get everything unloaded on the next month and get everything organized to start building my dream car.
    IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG

This little 34 Chevy might make a few appearances as well as I couldn’t pass finding such a rare car here is Australia.
    IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG

JalopyJimbo, Jet96, 35cab and 10 others like this.
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

WOW, lots of cool stuff there.

26. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

I like it!!!!

27. :)

Hello ! ( in my best Canadian, and Australian dialects )

28. Well, I’ve been buying a few more bits for the roadster when the deals come up (especially here in aus) Getting ready to start making a list of things I’ll need for the banger to get it running like a clutch and pressure plate, water pump etc. I think I’m going to try and get this going with the banger and get it registered before I plan on putting the flathead in-Which might be a next winter project. For now I just want to drive it and enjoy it for summer. ANY tips or the banger for getting it running or ideas for a bit of hopup would be greatly appreciated.

Customers definitely come first to keep the bills ticked and money flowing. Lately I’ve been working on hopping up this 34/35 Hudson Terraplane up for a guy who’s racing it at The Red Dust Revival this weekend. IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

29. Hey HAMBers quick question. I pulled off the splash aprons today to try on the new ones as I would like to roll this with the options of aprons but it seems the ones I have are different (30/31) I believe, now they definitely have some differences but have any of you rolled them on a 28/29- here’s a photo- View attachment 4418471 View attachment 4418472